115crows...

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

115crows...

Post by Nath »

....down!
I was using my 12g SKB SXS BLEJ today and 21g loads of #7&1/2 shot. I think that is 13/16th Oz. Fiocchi and Hull Cartridge Xcomp.
Jess is burnt out picking fights with the runners. The farms around here are over run with them.
Heard no curlew this year on this farm! No ground nester has a chance with these dam crows!
IMG_20220806_170807.jpg
N.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
JimT
Shootist

Re: 115crows...

Post by JimT »

WOW! "4 and twenty blackbirds baked in a pie..." popped into my mind. :lol:
harry
Senior Levergunner

Post by harry »

When I lived in Oklahoma we used to go to Ft Cobb and shoot crows out of the peanut fields. We would kill 3 or 4 hundred a day, we took everything from 22 rimfire to 300 wm . An owl decoy and crow call for the shot gunners.
They used to say Ft Cobb had the largest crow roost in the world.

https://vault.si.com/vault/1967/03/27/g ... bah-humbug
Trump 2024

All responses have been cleared by the law firm of "Elmer and Fudd."
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

harry wrote: Sat Aug 06, 2022 12:36 pm When I lived in Oklahoma we used to go to Ft Cobb and shoot crows out of the peanut fields. We would kill 3 or 4 hundred a day, we took everything from 22 rimfire to 300 wm . An owl decoy and crow call for the shot gunners.
They used to say Ft Cobb had the largest crow roost in the world.

https://vault.si.com/vault/1967/03/27/g ... bah-humbug
Absolutely crazy numbers!
Thanks for the link👍🏻.
I can't get those number out of my head!
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

JimT wrote: Sat Aug 06, 2022 12:33 pm WOW! "4 and twenty blackbirds baked in a pie..." popped into my mind. :lol:
You are welcome to that pie Jim 🤢
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

I have a friend who popped a crow with a 454 Casull revolver at about 75 yards. No feather-explosion or anything, but it did sort of just suddenly become dead.

As a kid I found if I went outside with a 12 gauge, they'd fly around and land 100 yards away and just squawk at me. Then if I went back in the house and got my 12x scoped 6mm varmint rifle, they'd fly up in the air and come right at me, flitting and squawking 10 yards over my head... :roll: They are smart for sure.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

Well done Nath, I haven't heard a Curlew or seen a Lapwing for ages, death to all members of the Crow family is my motto.... :evil:
If more men loved and cherished their wives as much as I love bacon the world would be a much better place.
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

gamekeeper wrote: Sat Aug 06, 2022 1:19 pm Well done Nath, I haven't heard a Curlew or seen a Lapwing for ages, death to all members of the Crow family is my motto.... :evil:
👍🏻
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

AJMD429 wrote: Sat Aug 06, 2022 1:02 pm .
I have a friend who popped a crow with a 454 Casull revolver at about 75 yards. No feather-explosion or anything, but it did sort of just suddenly become dead.

As a kid I found if I went outside with a 12 gauge, they'd fly around and land 100 yards away and just squawk at me. Then if I went back in the house and got my 12x scoped 6mm varmint rifle, they'd fly up in the air and come right at me, flitting and squawking 10 yards over my head... :roll: They are smart for sure.
Experienced that myself Doc 👍🏻
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Scott Tschirhart »

I had a pencil barrel Sako in .17 Remington that I used to great effect on crows near Hallettsville, Texas that were giving peanut farmers fits.

The best practical rifleman I ever saw lived there and shot crows every day. He had a Remington 788 chambered in .22-250 with a 3-9 Leopold scope on it. There was very little finish left on the scope or the rifle. But that man could shoot at unknown ranges better than anyone I have ever seen. I was a very poor rifleman compared to him.
Glenn
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Glenn »

The filthy varmints are considered a "migratory game (!?!) bird" in the U.S. with a legal hunting season. In Colorado 4 months long but no daily bag limit.
Glenn
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

JimT wrote: Sat Aug 06, 2022 12:33 pm WOW! "4 and twenty blackbirds baked in a pie..." popped into my mind. :lol:
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Rockrat
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Rockrat »

Also used to go over to Ft. Cobb after the crows. Used only shotguns. We would get 70-80 crows each when we went out. Some days they flew pretty high and we used #2 shot as #4 would just rattle off of them. Our shoulders had a limit of about 6 boxes of the #2 duck loads each time we went out. It was quite a sight to see, flights of crows in the thousands/tens of thousands, headed to the roost.
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

Cool Beans Nath. 8)
Because I Can, and Have
-------------------------------------------------------------
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
Disclaimer, not responsible for anyone copying or building anything i make.
Always consult an expert first.
1894cfan
Senior Levergunner

Post by 1894cfan »

AJMD429 wrote: Sat Aug 06, 2022 1:02 pm .

Trick for that is to take BOTH out, that will really confuse them! :lol:
octagon
Senior Levergunner

Post by octagon »

Nice shootin and great photo Nath.
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Scott Tschirhart »

If I were to hunt crows today, I think I would try and wear them out with the .17 HMR Ruger American rifle I have. It's more accurate than the Sako ever was and the trigger is outstanding.
Crazy Horse
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Crazy Horse »

Here are Arkansas stupid regulations...

Crow hunting dates are set by the Arkansas Game and Fish Commission but under federal parameters since the birds are classed as migratory. Crow season opened Sept. 3 and will run through Feb. 24, but hunting is five days a week. Tuesdays and Wednesdays are closed.

Shooting hours are 30 minutes before sunrise until sunset. There is no limit on crows.

Crows may not be hunted with rifles or pistols larger than .22 caliber rimfire or with muzzleloaders larger than .40 caliber unless a modern gun or muzzleloading deer season, bear season or coyote season is open. Crows may not be hunted with shotguns using rifled slugs or shot larger than T shot. Crows may not be hunted over bait.