Gun cleaning

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Ysabel Kid

Gun cleaning

Post by Ysabel Kid »

I can't remember when I made this - last winter or the winter before (definitely one of many "COVID projects"), but I ordered a bunch of these dispenser bottles and then made a tray to hold them on my cleaning bench. Figured I would post a picture.

What's your "go-to" gun cleaning fluid?
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Re: Gun cleaning

Post by gamekeeper »

Good idea YK at least you can see where everything is and what is running low..... :D
If more men loved and cherished their wives as much as I love bacon the world would be a much better place.
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

About the same time I found an old lap serving tray at the local Goodwill store. Decided to turn it into one I could use when cleaning handguns while watching shows with Mrs. YK. Screwed a smaller version of the tray to it, as well as a magnetic bar to hold parts. Works well... though the Mrs. doesn't like the smell of Hoppes (which I love!).

Drawdown
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Drawdown »

Good looking setup YK. I'm a firm believer in Ballistol. To clean any barrel I've shot, swab it first with Hoppes #9 PS, brush it. Then do the same again with Ballistol. If I know I'll be shooting it again within months, I just dry it, I'm done. If it's gonna be a while, I'll go over it last with oil patch.
And if I buy a gun that's old, used. I'll use the Hoppes #9 first, then soak the bore good with a penetrating oil, 3in1, let it sit a long time. Then a dry swab, and then a good Ballistol cleaning. I've used Ballistol to treat leather a number of times.
Use a Copper Solvent only if I really think it needs it. That about covers mine.
"Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life"

"Better drawdown Alvin!"
"If you gotta shoot, shoot don't talk"
Conservative since day one and until the last!
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Thanks DD. I only recently started using Ballistrol, and then only for blackpowder cleaning. But I hear more and more from shooters who swear by it across the board. Good to know! :D
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Scott Tschirhart »

I use Ballistol for most everything these days. I started using it with my Sharps rifles and then got to where it is my go-to fluid.
Drawdown
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Drawdown »

One of the new products I have started using for a special purpose, Gun Medic. To clean a bolt, trigger assembly, tight spots in fishing reels, etc. Spray it out good with Gun Scrubber, the aerosol kind, which I've used for years, it is under pressure. Just recently I got a Tikka Bolt Action made in 75. Read that the bolt was a chancy project to disassemble! So I took it outside and let the GS go, spraying in every hole, crack, joint! Stood it on both ends and sides while it drained and dried. Then go over with Gun Medic, again aerosol. Spray all the same heavily. Let it stand outside in sun, drain, dry. That bolt is in good shape! Gun Medic is a CLP.
One word of caution about Gun Scrubber, and my memory is faint about this. Be sure to get the old original formula of Gun Scrubber, I believe there's a new formula also, that can be hard on wood, plastics, etc?? But I am sure the original formula is the best!
"Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life"

"Better drawdown Alvin!"
"If you gotta shoot, shoot don't talk"
Conservative since day one and until the last!
Irishtexan
Levergunner

Post by Irishtexan »

I would like to know where you purchased those nifty bottles, I can't find any that size around here.
rossim92
Senior Levergunner

Post by rossim92 »

Irishtexan wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 4:38 pm I would like to know where you purchased those nifty bottles, I can't find any that size around here.
I bought mine on amazon. look for needle tip plastic bottle dispensor,, here is the link https://smile.amazon.com/Precision-Appl ... NrPXRydWU=
Rossi 92 .357 lever , and a cz pcr 9mm
Henry .22 lever, Remington speedmaster 552 .22 lr
Marlin Glenfield .22 boltaction
gforce 12ga semi
Taylor's Tactical 1911 A1 FS in .45acp
winchester 1873 44.40
Marlin 336W .30.30
beeman sportsman rs2 dual caliber pellet rifle
henry .22 magnum pumpaction/octagon barrel
stag 5.56 m4 with reddot
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

I use Hoppe's #9. I guess I married lucky... as the late Mrs. Griff loved the smell of Hoppe's. I firmly believed that she'd have worn it for perfume, if I'd offered the least amount of encouragement. For sure she liked the smell of it better'n I do. And it's probably the most used cleaner I use... outside of hot water for cleaning BP. I also use a fair amount of Shooter's Choice.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

That's a nice selection of gun care products you keep on hand, YK.
I tend to keep Hoppes No. 9, Kroil, Break-Free and Ballistol handy -- as well as a small jar of J-B bore paste.
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

rossim92 wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 4:53 pm
Irishtexan wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 4:38 pm I would like to know where you purchased those nifty bottles, I can't find any that size around here.
I bought mine on amazon. look for needle tip plastic bottle dispensor,, here is the link https://smile.amazon.com/Precision-Appl ... NrPXRydWU=
Yep, Amazon.