Sometimes it pays to be a nice guy.

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Sometimes it pays to be a nice guy.

Post by 2ndovc »

A few years ago a good friend was having a rough time. Lost his job, and then his wife of 25 years left him in the space of three months. I'd sent him a few carpentry jobs and a couple hundred bucks, not really expecting anything in return. A couple years later he showed up and handed me the $300 and was doing better.

The other day, I got a text from him with one of his customer's info. Her husband had died and had some guns and ammo she wanted to sell.

Long story short, I ended up with a pair of .357s this afternoon. She's a sharp lady and knows what she has, but was looking for fair prices.
Most of what is left is ARs, etc. but these two came home with me after we came to an agreement.

Good shape, but really dirty. I didn't ask, but I'm betting it was lung cancer that got the old boy. They smell like ashtrays. :shock:

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
Ysabel Kid

Re: Sometimes it pays to be a nice guy.

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Pay or not, life is not worth living if we can't be nice. Having been the recipient of your kindness, I know you make a practice of this. Good going Jason! :D
.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by .45colt »

Well Good for You Jason. It's a shame things end up like they do but it Really is a Tough Life . If they were heavy smokers it only made life a lot worse in the end. I watch several online websites every day and I always say to myself they are mostly Dead Men's Guns. when I was a kid in the late 50's early 60's you could cut the air in the house with a knife. holidays would find Me out in the snow looking in the window. :shock: .
Crazy Horse
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Crazy Horse »

Very nice !
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

I've found that "doing the right thing" is pretty cool. First of all, it just FEELS right, and you never have to feel bad because you've done the wrong thing. But yes, it often comes back around when others "pay it forward" full-circle.

That principle has guided me through three decades of medical practice, and I wouldn't still be able to do it in this corrupt insurance-driven world if it weren't for the generosity of many patients who have been 'benefactors' of sorts.

I tell them I can't be sure my advice is always right, but I can be sure it is always given as if they were my most important friend, and not just a number.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Jason, that is just a result from doing the right thing. I am happy for you.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Scott Tschirhart »

I try to just do the next right thing I know how to do. This is especially helpful when you realize that you simply cannot do it all. Just do the next right thing and it makes everything seem to work. Always be kind. Not becasue anyone deserves it or because you will get something from it. Go in expecting nothing.

But if you are kind, it will make your life much better and your interactions will be better.
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

Your reputation goes before you they say. Having a good one as you do is priceless.
Well done.
👍🏻
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

Thanks for the nice words. guys! That was unexpected.

My friend, Phil is still a bit of a lost soul, but he's trying to get his life together. Outside of my family, he was one of the few people that would consistently visit while I was in the hospital all those months. If you've been in that situation, you know what a difference it makes to have someone take time out of their day and come and see you.

Anyway,
Going to run out to the range and put some rounds through these two. That's if it's open today. We've had some repairs going on around the club, and those in charge close the range when anyone is out there.

Thanks again,
Jason 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Scott Tschirhart »

Enjoy those and think about the blessing it is for us to be able to share something with old friends even when they are gone.
Walt
Senior Levergunner

Post by Walt »

You guys are good. I'm glad I joined the forum. My first and only.
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Walt wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 4:08 pm You guys are good. I'm glad I joined the forum. My first and only.
I'm in the same boat Walt. Only forum I belong to! :D