Texas Breakdown

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Texas Breakdown

Post by Grizz »

any experienced 4Runner mechanics,,
my 99 sr5 4wd v6 with a P0303 and stromg miss Yesterday plus 2 others of that ilk. swapped #3 coil pack to 1 and the code went with it. new coil and great expectations. But Nooo. P0306 took over the miss duty. Aargh.
Swapped in a new plug. Great expectations. But NO WAY! SAME MISS SAME P0306. So now i am fixing to replace that injector. in 100+° heat.
here's my Question. Is it possible on this 5VZFE engine to remove the plenums and fuel rail WITHOUT removing the pax side stuff? it seems feasible, but has it been done?
4Runner calling Toyota man,
+
Paladin
Senior Levergunner

Re: Texas Breakdown

Post by Paladin »

Sorry, I have had 4 Runners from 1985 on and don't know the answers, never had problems.
It is not the critic who counts
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

Paladin wrote:
Thu Aug 04, 2022 4:45 pm
Sorry, I have had 4 Runners from 1985 on and don't know the answers, never had problems.
thanks for reply. i should pack the KL250 around for a parts-Runner. Especially on the Shakedown Cruise.
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

Can't help with the 4Runner, but I had a KLR 650 for years. Most reliable bike I've ever owned. Still kicking myself for letting it go.
Oddly enough, I've been looking over used ones lately.
Relly wanting another one.

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
Malamute
Member Emeritus

Post by Malamute »

I dont know the answer, but Ive found the best answers to my 4runner issues here. Its been the result of numerous google searches, this was where most good info came from.

https://www.toyota-4runner.org/toyota-4runner-forum/
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

Isnt it amazing how many people post without reading the thread?
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

Thanks for link... I read a lot of those posts all the way through the 'learning curve' . . . plus Scott and Timmy 🎵
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

KL650 sounds good. is it a lot heavier? i like how light the 250 is. im going to try to rewind the battery coil to 12v for lights. the ignition coil is ok the way it is...
Walt
Levergunner

Post by Walt »

I had an early KLR, a 600cc before the 650s came out. It was a 80/20 street/off road bike in my opinion. It was pretty heavy and I didn't think the front end geometry was very good on dirt roads. I now have a Suzuki DRZ400S which doesn't have the top end of the KLR but it's much lighter and a better off road bike. Besides, it gets 65 mpg so is a very economical bike for riding at a leisurely pace. I put a 4 gallon tank on it which will take me close to 250 miles between fill ups.
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

sounds good Walt. I'm happy with the small bike. I would consider a larger tank. I have a flatpack gas can i can lash on. havent done much with the bike yet but chew up weeds around the house. i might try to mobilize my road bike for a trip or two... while i maybe still can...
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

The bigger tank is why I bought the KLR. I could go 400 miles on a single fill up. I didn't think it was all that heavy, but you better be over 6' if you're going to ride one. It's tall. I've been looking at all types of bikes this summer, the bug is back big time. What I really want is a BMW 1200 GS. That one is not only heavy, but was designed by guys that are a minimum 6'3 and named Gunter! I can ride it, but really have to watch what I'm doing. That keeps leading me back to the KLR, but that single cylinder monster must have a piston the size of a coffee can!
A couple summers ago I had a Harley 1200 Sportster for about 15 minutes. I hated it and couldn't get rid of it fast enough. No offense to the HD guys, it's just not me. I've been looking at the Kawasaki Concours. Nice ride and a more comfortable riding position for me, plus they go fairly cheap. Especially the used ones.

jb 8)

Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

i ride airhead BMWs. coast to coast twice on an R50. Then had an R60 for a spell. more than 50 years ago.
have a pair of R65s now... bought one for a parts bike, but as i tend to it its looking more road worthy...wondering if i could repeat my first road trip. that would be epic.
horsesoldier03
Senior Levergunner

Post by horsesoldier03 »

Check your compression on that cylinder. Possibly needs another coil pack. Curious if a bad cam position sensor could cause that.
“Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.”
rossim92
Senior Levergunner

Post by rossim92 »

Grizz wrote:
Tue Aug 02, 2022 9:07 pm
any experienced 4Runner mechanics,,
my 99 sr5 4wd v6 with a P0303 and stromg miss Yesterday plus 2 others of that ilk. swapped #3 coil pack to 1 and the code went with it. new coil and great expectations. But Nooo. P0306 took over the miss duty. Aargh.
Swapped in a new plug. Great expectations. But NO WAY! SAME MISS SAME P0306. So now i am fixing to replace that injector. in 100+° heat.
here's my Question. Is it possible on this 5VZFE engine to remove the plenums and fuel rail WITHOUT removing the pax side stuff? it seems feasible, but has it been done?
4Runner calling Toyota man,
+
do a compression check, you might have a bad valve or a lifter
Rossi 92 .357 lever , and a cz pcr 9mm
Henry .22 lever, Remington speedmaster 552 .22 lr
Marlin Glenfield .22 boltaction
Mossberg 12 ga. pump
Taylor's Tactical 1911 A1 FS in .45acp
winchester 1873 44.40
Marlin 336W .30.30
beeman sportsman rs2 dual caliber pellet rifle
henry .22 magnum pumpaction/octagon barrel
stag 5.56 m4 with reddot
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

Sorry your having problems bro and hope ya get it resolved soon, imo all this new tech stuff is worthless to many sensors and stuff to go wrong.
We`re having problems with this Intrepid going into limp mode, had a speed sensor code fixed that but problem is still there, i hate these kind of issues.
70`s where are you. :roll:
Because I Can, and Have
-------------------------------------------------------------
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
Disclaimer, not responsible for anyone copying or building anything i make.
Always consult an expert first.
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

Grizz wrote:
Tue Aug 09, 2022 10:05 pm
i ride airhead BMWs. coast to coast twice on an R50. Then had an R60 for a spell. more than 50 years ago.
have a pair of R65s now... bought one for a parts bike, but as i tend to it its looking more road worthy...wondering if i could repeat my first road trip. that would be epic.
Cool!
The R50, at least to me, has to be one of the classiest bikes ever built. :D

jb 8)

Walt
Levergunner

Post by Walt »

I rode an 84 model R80RT for years but finally sold it because I had bought an R1100R which has way more power, better suspension and way better brakes. I still ride that and regularly get 52 mpg. The guy who bought the R80 came up all the way from Marfa, TX to north central NM to buy the bike. I gave the young fellow a heck of a deal for coming all that way.
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

good posts... i agree with Jason... the R50 and R60 are about the classiest road bikes i know of. i didnt know that 50 years ago... LOL
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

Pitchy wrote:
Wed Aug 10, 2022 6:36 am
Sorry your having problems bro and hope ya get it resolved soon, imo all this new tech stuff is worthless to many sensors and stuff to go wrong.
We`re having problems with this Intrepid going into limp mode, had a speed sensor code fixed that but problem is still there, i hate these kind of issues.
70`s where are you. :roll:
He's running now. Hope he gets me to see my siblings and onto the home garage. i'm seriously thinking of putting a 292 straight 6 chevy engine in it ... :)