in Texas

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

in Texas

Post by Grizz »

enjoying children and grand children. hiding from the HEAT. it's several steps above my comfort zone, bordering right over against the fence called death from natural causes.

heating up,
Grizz
1894cfan
Senior Levergunner

Re: in Texas

Post by 1894cfan »

Enjoy it while you can, I am! I'm stuck in the Mohave Desert, and while likely not as hot as where you are, it's still on the warmish side. :roll: Can you say Grilled Ribeye for dinner? :mrgreen:
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Grizz wrote: Thu Jul 28, 2022 11:39 am enjoying children and grand children. hiding from the HEAT. it's several steps above my comfort zone, bordering right over against the fence called death from natural causes.

heating up,
Grizz
Around here, we're doing Heat Wave 2.0.....It's been mid-90s all week, maybe 100 tomorrow. For those not familiar with Western WA, that's about 20 over normal. :evil:
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Not so much the highs in the 100s but the "lows" in the 80s that are causing cumulative insomnia at this address,
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

Blaine wrote: Thu Jul 28, 2022 1:23 pm For those not familiar with Western WA, that's about 20 over normal. :evil:
Blaine .. I grew up in Adams County ... town of Lind, WA. I remember a summer in the 100's. Around 1956 - 57. We had problems with the wheat trucks overheating during harvest.

I also remember a winter .. somewhere around 1952 ... it hit 50 below zero. It was 40 below for a couple weeks. I remember looking out the window when my Dad and my Uncles were trying to start one of their cars that had not been in a heated garage. They were towing it and the rear tires would not turn. Transmission and rear end were frozen.
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Dallas area, and about 50 miles around is having lots of days over 100°F and lots of nights that don't get below 80°.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

piller wrote: Fri Jul 29, 2022 2:00 pm Dallas area, and about 50 miles around is having lots of days over 100°F and lots of nights that don't get below 80°.
That's us down here on the San Gabriel River. And we are a lot further than 50 miles from Dallas. :D
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

I should be out working, but... the heat just saps energy from me... plus with VA appointments, I can't get too far from home, and am never sure I can get back in time. Almost too danged hot to go to the range... though I need a little time with my 18-½" Uberti 1873 and the C45S.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
harry
Senior Levergunner

Post by harry »

Forecast for Great Falls MT, Sat. 97, Sun. 103, Mon. 102.
But we get the cool down at night, low 60’s
There is actually wind chill due to the low humidity.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Trump 2024

All responses have been cleared by the law firm of "Elmer and Fudd."
Dusty Texian
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Dusty Texian »

Low 80 or so , High 100+ every day , gonna be that way for another month or two , so what's new its summer in Tejas ! DT
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Jim, funny as it seems, I have heard that the Gulf Coast is getting rain. It sure isn't making its way up to us.
D. Brian Casady
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

piller wrote: Fri Jul 29, 2022 7:24 pm Jim, funny as it seems, I have heard that the Gulf Coast is getting rain. It sure isn't making its way up to us.
No sir. I seen frogs carrying canteens! THAT worries me.
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

went for a morning walk down slope to the DRY creek bottoms. mindful of the rattlesnake and feral hog reports i took a 1911 in hope of discovering a hatband worthy animal.. no joy there, but apparently a possible herd bull was relaxing in deep shade, staring at what might have been a corn bucket... this guy was about the size of my 4Runner with the wheels off. Not wishing to disturb his ruminations i used my rusty stalking skills to evacuate the hot zone. I absolutely did not want to buy that animal!
grizz sends
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Glad you and that bovine were able to part ways without him even knowing it.
D. Brian Casady
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Grizz wrote: Sun Jul 31, 2022 11:21 am went for a morning walk down slope to the DRY creek bottoms. mindful of the rattlesnake and feral hog reports i took a 1911 in hope of discovering a hatband worthy animal.. no joy there, but apparently a possible herd bull was relaxing in deep shade, staring at what might have been a corn bucket... this guy was about the size of my 4Runner with the wheels off. Not wishing to disturb his ruminations i used my rusty stalking skills to evacuate the hot zone. I absolutely did not want to buy that animal!
grizz sends
What was finally the final solution for the 4Runner to run properly? :?:

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

Blaine wrote: Sun Jul 31, 2022 6:02 pm
Grizz wrote: Sun Jul 31, 2022 11:21 am went for a morning walk down slope to the DRY creek bottoms. mindful of the rattlesnake and feral hog reports i took a 1911 in hope of discovering a hatband worthy animal.. no joy there, but apparently a possible herd bull was relaxing in deep shade, staring at what might have been a corn bucket... this guy was about the size of my 4Runner with the wheels off. Not wishing to disturb his ruminations i used my rusty stalking skills to evacuate the hot zone. I absolutely did not want to buy that animal!
grizz sends
What was finally the final solution for the 4Runner to run properly? :?:
the idle control valve was coked up so much that it couldn't adjust the idle air ratio. clean as a whistle and shazaam! [ i don't have any what shazaam means ]
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

I would bet that it will get better gas mileage now.
D. Brian Casady
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

piller wrote: Sun Jul 31, 2022 7:47 pm I would bet that it will get better gas mileage now.
yeah it seems so. i havent sat down with the receipts yet. but its bad in town. best at 2000 rpm on cruise control.
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

best mod was to add a trans cooler in series with the new radiator. Scan guage reports trans temps in correct range and around 30° below water temp. next want oil press gauge, a real one. and Tacoma brakes with drilled and slotted rotors.....
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Grizz wrote: Sun Jul 31, 2022 8:13 pm
piller wrote: Sun Jul 31, 2022 7:47 pm I would bet that it will get better gas mileage now.
yeah it seems so. i havent sat down with the receipts yet. but its bad in town. best at 2000 rpm on cruise control.
Daughters 4Runner, a stock '16 or '17, with 33s and a nice lift gets about 17 at best. She drives pretty fast, so I doubt that's what she averages. She's taken that thing some of the damdust places.

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

i had 1 segment at 25 one higher and a couple lower. i suspected the odometer and started checking it against the gps trip info, tank by tank, with close correlation. bit of a puzzle really. except for necessity like dodging thru rushed hour flat track at 80, i try to run it like a boat engine at 1800 to 2000. excursions above 2500 are gulpers....
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

with the other van that preferred 90 to 9 mph, and got the same milage, this rig is more like a tractor and would be greatly improved with a 6-292.
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

waiting for parts to get un-brokedown i got to be a boy again with the nylon 66 i carried and shot while i was a school boy. NOT IN SCHOOL. It passed to my brother, and eventually to me when he passed, and now to my older son, reserved for his son. it is still a straight shooter, and not a picky eater. what a sensation to reconnect with that gun after a substantial seperation. Sensational.
IDK how to get pictures from the phone, but y'all have BTDT. The 1911 in the Lehey canted holster got triggered too, gratifying for both of us.
grizz

Sheesh! I forgot to mention that we shot the Marlin 92 we made tons of meat with in Alaska, AND 4 rounds of my 44/325 revolver load that turrned up in a zip log bag, in son's 10" SBH. Lots of memories plinking with me boys...