Tutt’s Custom Kukri from Famous Gurkha Kukri House

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Tutt’s Custom Kukri from Famous Gurkha Kukri House

Post by CowboyTutt »

Hello Gents, I just received my custom kukri from Famous Gurkha Kukri House (sometimes also called Famous Gurkha Khukuri House) and as Kukrismithnepal on Etsy:

https://www.thegurkhakhukuri.com/

https://www.etsy.com/shop/kukrismithnep ... 1236586763

I wanted something that was a hybrid between two different standard offerings with rose wood grips but a 14-inch blade with 3 inches of the top edge fully sharpened if they could do it. I thought this would be advantageous and still offer plenty of flat surface along the spine to place my palm to push down for a deep cut. Luckily for me, this was a feature that they could add for me.

The blade is of a very complex design (more on that later) and also came with a “karda” or utility/skinning knife and a “chakmat” for field sharpening. The blade is made of 5160 spring steel as used in Jeeps and automobiles. It is very resilient to repeated shock, can be sharpened wicked sharp, and is easy to re-sharpen. It does rust easily so it must be oiled and cared for properly after use or in storage. The sheath is wood wrapped in water buffalo leather which is very thick and durable and smells like good leather should. I had them add a rose wood insert for effect. The handles are all made of Indian rose wood and hand-fitted.
Kuhkri 9.jpg
Now to the blade itself. It is a very complicated design as I said. It features 3 “chira” or flutes to lighten it some. The lowest chira is the deepest one and designed to funnel fluids to the circular cut out with the dividing bar down the middle to allow fluids to drip down and not reach the hilt. The middle and upper chira are progressively more shallow. They also added some half moon stampings just under the spine to add some class. The spine of the blade is very thick at 0.373” just north of the hilt and gets slightly thinner after that, but is still extremely robust. The tang features an angular raised ridge to allow for a corresponding ridge around the hilt to improve grip (which it does in my opinion). From there, the tang flairs out to allow for a very ergonomic grip and for attachment of the butt plate. There is also a flat edge on the underside of the blade above the grip before the sharpened blade starts to allow you to choke up and to protect your hand from being cut. The blade is one of the sharpest I have ever received. So there are many details to the making of the full tang blade.

Once the blade is finished the grips and collar and butt plate are added. There are absolutely no gaps in the wood to metal finish. Such tight tolerances can only be done by hand fitting. At some point in the process, the blade is mirror polished. I have some very nice knives and swords in my collection, but this one is truly extraordinary.

If you go to the websites I listed above, you can see the many different things they make, including a breath-taking Aquaman trident of all things, as well as Viking swords and axes.

I hope you can see some of the features I have written about in the below pictures.
Kuhkri 4.jpg
Kuhkri 1.jpg
Kuhkri 3.jpg
Kuhkri 5.jpg
Kuhkri 2.jpg
Kuhkri 6.jpg
Kuhkri 7.jpg
Kuhkri 8.jpg
Regards, -Tutt
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"It ain't dead! As long as there's ONE COWBOY taking care of ONE COW, it ain't dead!!!" (the Cowboy Way)
-Monte Walsh (Selleck version)

"These battered wings still kick up dust." -Peter Gabriel
Griff
Posting leader...

Re: Tutt’s Custom Kukri from Famous Gurkha Kukri House

Post by Griff »

Very nice. :mrgreen:
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Andy, that is just stunning! :mrgreen: 8) :D

I really wish you wouldn't have shared that link. This is going to end up costing me...
CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

Don't worry Jay, their prices are surprisingly cheap! Mine was more expensive because of custom order, but I'm very happy with it. -Andy
"It ain't dead! As long as there's ONE COWBOY taking care of ONE COW, it ain't dead!!!" (the Cowboy Way)

piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

My son is a knife nut. His dream job would be to work at Angel Sword or Smoky Mountain Knife Works. He would be drooling over your Kukri.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Cool stuff.

....I saw the "ladies' knife" on their website, and that looks downright SCARY... :shock: :shock:
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

Ysabel Kid wrote: Wed Jul 27, 2022 7:44 pm Andy, that is just stunning! :mrgreen: 8) :D

I really wish you wouldn't have shared that link. This is going to end up costing me...
That's for sure.

Very cool Andy!

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Scott Tschirhart »

You need to get that bloody.

Cabrito on the bbq pit sounds like a worthy way to christen it.
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

Very nice looking knife! They make a great survival knife because they can be used for more than just gutting and skinning game.
My late friend had a huge Kukri knife collection, and passed away a couple years ago. Never asked about them as I figured his two sons would keep them.
My older brother was a USAF survival instructor, and while stationed in the Philippines he said most of the natives they hired to help pack gear all carried Kukris. He had one engraved with my name on the blade and sent it home for my birthday one year. I have another my niece sent back from her missionary work in Nepal. It has the two smaller knives built with sheaths on the main sheath to hold them. Not sure what the purpose of the two small knives is as the blades are only about 1.5" long and of course small handles.
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

A beautiful Kukri for sure... :mrgreen:

For those that are not aware the Gurkhas have served in the British army for almost 200 years, unfortunately when they retire from the British army they do not always get a decent pension and Nepal being a very poor country their lot is not a happy one, I'm proud to be a member of the Gurkha Welfare Trust that provides help to those heroes and their families. The Gurkha Museum is in the city of Winchester where I used to work and well worth a visit if you ever find yourself in Hampshire England.
https://www.gwt.org.uk/
If more men loved and cherished their wives as much as I love bacon the world would be a much better place.
CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

Just to piggy back on what GameKeeper is saying. This is from FGKH's website.

"The Khukuri blade was brought to popularity by the armed Gurkha forces when they used this majestic blade to lay doom upon their enemies. They chanted “ayo Gurkhali” and rushed towards their enemies without slight hesitation even when they were heavily outnumbered. Former Indian Army Field Marshall Sam Manekshaw once said that “If a man says he is not afraid of dying, he is either lying or he is a Gurkha.”

During the Anglo-Nepalese war between the Gurkhas and the East-India company, many British commanders praised the fighting spirit of the brave Gurkhali warriors who flaunted a Kukri and refused to give up even when they were heavily lacking in terms of weapons and technology.
In 1815, 5000 men, not just Gurkhalis but Kumaonis, Garhwalis, and other Himalayan hill men of the Gurkha Kingdom came together under the term Gurkha and became the backbone of British forces. During the World War I (1914-1918) more than 2 lakhs Gurkhas participated in the war as reinforcements to British troops. More than 20 thousand casualties were suffered and 2 thousand gallantry awards were received by the Gurkhas.

The primary weapon used by the Gurkhas aside from the rifle was Khukuri. Nepalese Khukuri was used extensively during the war and till date, it represents the bravery of our bold ancestors. Our team at Famous Gurkha Khukuri House is dedicated to recreating those masterpieces along with the new ones according to the need of time."

and about the history of the blade itself from the same link.

"History of Khukuri Knife:
A khukuriri is one of the oldest knife that has not only survived but thrived in the ever changing times. It is arguably one of the best knives mankind has crafted and possessed. The shape of the kukri blade represents the trinity symbols of ‘Brhamha’, ‘Vishnu”, and ‘Shiva’, the three most powerful gods of the Hindu mythology. We Gurkhalis believe that if a Khukuri knife is worshipped and some blood is sacrificed in the ritual, one is bound to receive peace, prosperity, and luck. The Gurkhali blade has its significance culturally and traditionally in Nepal. When a cold steel Khukuri is drawn from its sheath, it must taste blood before it rejoins the scabbard.

A man with as Khukuri represents honor, dignity, courage, and loyalty. And this tactical blade is supposed to carry the soul of the user even after his death. It is believed in the land of Gurkhas that a Khukuri must fulfill its ordeal of sacrifice in a single shot or it brings misfortune. A Khukuri is a representation of strength, bravery, and commitment.

It is widely believed that Khukuri was used by the Kirat tribe for the very first time in the 7th century. Present days Khukuri shapes could be well derived from the ancient Kirat’s knives. The ancient Khukuri that are framed and showcased in the National Museum of Chaunni, Kathmandu also gives strong proofs to this belief.

Around 2500 years ago, great Greek mythologies used a classic Greek sword known as “kopis”. The shape and style of that blade very closely represented the Khukuri blade we know and love. Some also believe that the Greeks were the direct ancestor and starters of this majestic blade.
In the 4th century BC, Alexander’s soldiers invaded Northwest India. The soldiers carried a cavalry sword of the ancient Macedonians called “Machira or Machaira” which closely resembles khukuri.

This sword was later copied and improvised by the modern Blacksmiths. Another popular belief is that Khukurii is a modified version of the knives first used by the Malla Kings who came to power in Nepal in the 13th century. The oldest Khukuri in the National museum of Chaunni is the one used by Drabya Shah, the King of Gurkha in 1627 AD. It’s evident that the origin of Kukri goes a long way back, up to 2500 years! And with the rise of Authentic Khukuri makers like Famous Gurkha Khukuri House, it’s sure to go a long way forward."

https://www.thegurkhakhukuri.com/about-nepali-khukuri/

Marlin Man, the small knives are a "karda" or small utility or skinning knive and a "chakmat" for field sharpening the main blade.

Mine is not a "balanced" Kukri, mine is nose heavy but when swiping through the air it moves in a very linear fashion. It is not light and with the sheath weighs about 3 lbs plus change. So you need a sturdy belt to carry it for long periods of time. I recommend a steel reinforced leather belt like Hank's Belts.

There is no discernable angle to the edge. I think it has a convex or rounded edge for strength. Fortunately I can do that with my Ken Onion Edition Work Sharp motorized belt sharpener.

Scott, I will have to settle for cutting up some tri-tip steak soon!

-Tutt
Last edited by CowboyTutt on Thu Jul 28, 2022 2:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

While stationed in Korea with the EUSA/UNC the Gurkhas would rotate in every half year or so. What a superior tribe of warriors. Rumor had it that they all had a collection of the ears they removed from their enemies.
They all carried their Kukri knives. They would gladly show it to you. If you held it, your were expected to draw a little blood off one of your fingers. Not much. If you didn't, you would receive a look of scorn and the Gurkha would take a little slice off his own skin. If you gained their friendship and trust, you might be invited to partake of several rounds of the Gurkha Rum. They seemed to have an unlimited supply of it and it would hit like the hammer of Thor. They usually had their Pipes and Drums that would play at the EUSA/UNC Honor Guard Ceremony that was held every Friday. I still count myself fortunate to have been associated with them in some small manner.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

Cool story, thanks Blaine! -Tutt

marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

The men who helped the USAF survival instructors that my brother was part of were Montagnard warriors, and also carried a version of the Kukri for chopping vines, or breaking trail in the jungle. They are heavy knives, but that's part of what makes them good fighting knives, and dual duty to clear thick brush.
A lot of their knives were forged from flat leaf springs from cars and trucks, but very nicely fit and finished.
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

CowboyTutt wrote: Thu Jul 28, 2022 3:06 pm Cool story, thanks Blaine! -Tutt
+1
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Not sure what the Kurda blade means, but chakmat, or checkmate, means: The King is Dead.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Everything about the Gurkhas is impressive, including their trademark Kukris. Very nice choices you made on your custom order, Andy.
Gamekeeper, I had heard of this struggle to get pensions for Gurkhas who served in the British Army; it only seems fair and honorable.
Paladin
Senior Levergunner

Post by Paladin »

Very impressive, much nicer than the model Gurkhas carry
It is not the critic who counts