Ken Waters Article

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Drawdown
Levergunner 3.0

Ken Waters Article

Post by Drawdown »

I recently ordered a few back issues of Rifle Magazine. I ordered 2 specific ones, from the mid 70's, because each was said to contain 2 of the better articles written on the Win Mod 71, and it showed them still available, so I jumped on them. One article by Ken Waters and the next by I believe Jim Scott, the Waters article of special interest to me!
Upon receiving them I learned I had received neither issue I had supposed to have ordered ##!!!!! But one was the Jan-Feb of 1991 issue, and now I'm not disappointed whatsoever!
It contains an article by Ken Waters "Alonzo Slawson, Mountain Hunter". Well for my interest, subjects I truly like to read about, and written in a form about them, that I honestly will say, this is the best read I've read since "Red Letter Days in British Columbia" by Townsend Whelen, this one only shorter.
I'm only gonna mention the subjects & why for me, to keep it short.
First he's speaking of a relative which he no doubt wrote about with full knowledge, time frame late 1800's the transition from black powder to smokeless, pics of the guns used, the owners loads with black powder, and Ken's having shot these rifles since which he gives his favorite loads, one being a Duplex Load. His relative hunted long periods alone in the big mountains of the Adirondacks, often traveled and camped by Canoe, and I'm sure more I'm leaving out!
I've never shot black powder in a cartridge rifle (yet) but I will, and ive done plenty of canoe camping and hunting in remote places, and alone. He's hunting mountain deer which anyone who knows places away from agriculture, big mountains, swamps, or the like, whitetails in these, are like ghosts! He used a rifle that always intrigued me because it was Tom Horns rifle and cartridge, a Mod 1876 in 45-60. And he also hunted game with a Parker Doublebarrel. I've killed game all my life with come old Win SS in 12&16ga.
20220724_140659.jpg
Enough said, I'm gonna read it over, and I know over again. And I'm gonna post the pics so anyone interested can click and read if they want?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life"

"Better drawdown Alvin!"
"If you gotta shoot, shoot don't talk"
Conservative since day one and until the last!
Drawdown
Levergunner 3.0

Re: Ken Waters Article

Post by Drawdown »

20220724_140645.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

"Better drawdown Alvin!"
Drawdown
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Drawdown »

20220724_140605.jpg

"Better drawdown Alvin!"
Drawdown
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Drawdown »

20220724_140520.jpg

"Better drawdown Alvin!"
Drawdown
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Drawdown »

The best complete book I've ever read on these subjects was "The Muzzleloading Caplock Rifle" by Ned Robert's. For me, the best part was Ned growing up with his uncle teaching him all he knew, he called him Uncle Alvaro. And I'm sure Ken Waters knew Ned Robert's and I think Townsend Whelen. At first I thought maybe this guy was the same mentioned in Ned's book, but now I'm sure he wasn't. But their styles and lives sound very similar!

"Better drawdown Alvin!"
Dusty Texian
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Dusty Texian »

Drawdown wrote: Sun Jul 24, 2022 5:40 pm The best complete book I've ever read on these subjects was "The Muzzleloading Caplock Rifle" by Ned Robert's. For me, the best part was Ned growing up with his uncle teaching him all he knew, he called him Uncle Alvaro. And I'm sure Ken Waters knew Ned Robert's and I think Townsend Whelen. At first I thought maybe this guy was the same mentioned in Ned's book, but now I'm sure he wasn't. But their styles and lives sound very similar!
Thank you for posting this , these are the kind of stories I like to read .,,,DT
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Scott Tschirhart »

We just don't have writing like this these days. Everything is so formulaic.

I don't know if it is because there is no market for it, or if there's just no money in it.

But I am sad to see it go.

As I recall, Uncle Alvaro had a double barreled muzzle loading rifle that he favored for black bear. The 1873 in .44-40 did not measure up.
Rimfire McNutjob
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rimfire McNutjob »

Can I ask which two old Rifle editions you were looking for? I think #32 had a Winchester 71 article, but I'm not sure which of the others did.
... I love poetry, long walks on the beach, and poking dead things with a stick.
Drawdown
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Drawdown »

I read that is was may-june 1974 by Jim Scott, and sept-oct 1976 by Ken Waters. I'm not sure of the issue numbers?

"Better drawdown Alvin!"
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Scott Tschirhart »

On another note, I think the Model 71 stock is the most comfortable stock I have ever used on a rifle with significant recoil.
Woodsloafer2
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Woodsloafer2 »

Enjoyed the read immensely thank you!
Drawdown
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Drawdown »

I truly think it to be Levergun perfection, considering stock & barreled action, from what everyone who's familiar with it says, so I don't doubt it. Even the cartridge, Winchester sure hit the mark with the 71!
Just think how many they would've sold, had this same Rifle & Cartridge had come out, as soon as smokeless powder came to be, or about the turn of the century!
Last edited by Drawdown on Mon Jul 25, 2022 5:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

"Better drawdown Alvin!"
Drawdown
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Drawdown »

Glad to post it here, I knew there be plenty here that would enjoy it! It really is in my opinion anyway, a quality read! Everything in it, we don't need to forget!

"Better drawdown Alvin!"