Anemic Viht data!

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Anemic Viht data!

Post by Nath »

What is it these days with reloading data?

Viht list n135 for 130gn bullets at 32gn max.
Out of my rifle 31.5 is still a rabbit load!
The once fired Remington brass grew by zero amount across the case head.
IMG_20220724_195124.jpg
I'm adding a full grain but I bet I end up +2 by the time I'm done. I'm thinking even the powder producers have gotten frightened of making loud bangs these days!

I tested the Remington factory at 150yds in a crosswind sitting down. Only two rounds but it did ok.
IMG_20220724_190706.jpg
This rifle is showing some promise 😁.
N.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
Pisgah
Senior Levergunner

Re: Anemic Viht data!

Post by Pisgah »

What velocity are these "bunny loads"? Are they falling below what the data would suggest? The Vihtavuori data I am looking at shows 2419 fps from a 20" barrel for a 130 gr bullet and max load of 32 gr. , and that's right up there with comparable loads with other powders from a 24" barrel.
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

In my rifle pressure seemed to be down.
Vihts data for a 150gn bullet in my rifle lands much lower than the Remington factory ammo. I can feel the difference too!

Back to testing the 130gn Speers and I go to +1/2 gn over listed max. Now something is happening! I'm getting good accuracy and power.
The brass is finally upsetting. Had to lower the rear sight a notch too.
Remington factory I am using brass from has not upset unti now.
IMG_20220725_210927.jpg
I guess every rifle is different but nearly every rifle I have loaded for has ended up being over listed max somehow. I know not why but suspect the powder manufacturers are playing safe. I mean Viht don't list a primer or know if I am in the Sahara or up mount Snowdon etc etc.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
earlmck
Advanced Levergunner

Post by earlmck »

Nath, I think the reason all your loads end up being over manufacturer's listed max is because your pressure indicator (case base expansion) is an indicator for folks shooting bolt actions capable of easily handling 70k psi. Our leverguns designed for 42k psi aren't going to show any sign of base expansion as long as we are keeping within SAAMI specs. I think you have got somewhere north of 50k psi before you get any base expansion or "upset" which is something you might not want to feed your m94 on a regular basis.

If I was wanting to get a 130 grain bullet up nicely over 2400 fps out of a m94 I'd be thinking Win 748 or Hodgdon BLC-2. And from my experience with LeverRevolution I'd bet you could probably get something past 2500 fps and stay within standard pressures.
The greatest patriot...
is he who heals the most gullies.
Patrick Henry
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

earlmck wrote: Wed Jul 27, 2022 2:05 am Nath, I think the reason all your loads end up being over manufacturer's listed max is because your pressure indicator (case base expansion) is an indicator for folks shooting bolt actions capable of easily handling 70k psi. Our leverguns designed for 42k psi aren't going to show any sign of base expansion as long as we are keeping within SAAMI specs. I think you have got somewhere north of 50k psi before you get any base expansion or "upset" which is something you might not want to feed your m94 on a regular basis.

If I was wanting to get a 130 grain bullet up nicely over 2400 fps out of a m94 I'd be thinking Win 748 or Hodgdon BLC-2. And from my experience with LeverRevolution I'd bet you could probably get something past 2500 fps and stay within standard pressures.
That does put a different slant on this!

It is a little confusing as in the primers are still nice and round. Bear in mind the same powder at 29 gn under a 150 bullet prints much lower on paper with zero pressure sign than the Remington factory ammo. I can feel the difference in fact.

Whilst I do not doubt your experience can we verify that 30/30 brass does not expand at the case head? Mine has only gone .001" ish.

If I got .004" in a bolt gun I would want to drop the charge some.
I guess I could rerun the test -1/2 a gn.
Thank you.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
earlmck
Advanced Levergunner

Post by earlmck »

Nath wrote: Wed Jul 27, 2022 4:31 am
Whilst I do not doubt your experience can we verify that 30/30 brass does not expand at the case head? Mine has only gone .001" ish.

If I got .004" in a bolt gun I would want to drop the charge some.
I guess I could rerun the test -1/2 a gn.
Thank you.
You've hit the weakness of my contribution: I have never seen any brass expansion data on cases such as 30/30. Anything I have seen has been from folks working with 30-06 to belted magnum type cases. So it is just my guess that we don't see measurable expansion until somewhere over 50k psi. If I ever get access to pressure testing equipment this would be one of my first pursuits is the pressures vs. base expansion of our levergun cartridges at levergun pressures.

I have long thought that the "advice to reloaders" of upping the top loads a little at a time and "watch for pressure signs" is not good advice for us folks shooting win 94's and Marlin 336's and any other rifles intended for low to moderate pressures as I think we just won't see "pressure signs" until we are some ways past our rifle's design limits.
The greatest patriot...
is he who heals the most gullies.
Patrick Henry
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

Wise words.
Thank you for your input. Appreciate it :)
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!