Model 94 .375 Winchester

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Walt
Senior Levergunner

Model 94 .375 Winchester

Post by Walt »

After having lived in my safe for quite a while, I took out my Model 94 Big Bore in .375 Winchester and blasted some gongs this morning. I normally space the gongs up a hillside from 45 yards to about 70 yards, the smallest (and farthest) is about 8" in diameter, the remainder from 10" to 18" in diameter. I usually shoot my handguns at these gongs but fairly seldom bring out lever actions. I have a Williams receiver sight on this rifle and shoot cast bullets, RCBS 250 grain gas check bullets specifically, loaded with moderate velocity charges of 4227. By the way, I was interested in whether there's a significant difference between IMR4227 and H4227 so I emailed Hodgdon; their reply is attached.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Model 94 .375 Winchester

Post by Nath »

Never seen a 375 in the UK. I bet it is a superb combination.
I imagine that straight case could be used for small game loads as well.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
yooper2
Levergunner 3.0

Post by yooper2 »

Sounds like a good time and that RCBS bullet is a good one. I really like the SAECO 265gr gas check and ranch dog's 235gr bullets as well. My big bore looks pretty rough but shoots great and is on permanent truck gun duty. My wife does all of her big game hunting with a Marlin 375 we bought from a member on here.

Eric
Mark in MO
Levergunner

Post by Mark in MO »

After some experimentation my personal 375 Winchester load is a charge of Reloder 7 topped with a Lyman #375449 gas checked bullet. It clocks at around 1,800 fps and has accounted for several deer. While several other loads shot well my rifle preferred this load.
Back in the 1980’s I had an early Winchester 375 but foolishly traded it for something that went away a few years later. I always regretted that trade but about 11 years ago I was able to trade a Savage 99 to a friend for another Winchester top eject 375. It was a carbon copy of the Big Bore I had let get away years ago, even down to the sling swivels and Lyman peep sight. In fact I had to look closely to verify it wasn’t my old rifle. I really like the rifle and caliber and don’t plan on letting this one get away.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

I have a Marlin 375 I bought new in 1980. It's only seen the Hornady 220FP in front of max load of RE7.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Mark in MO
Levergunner

Post by Mark in MO »

I shot some of those Hornady 220's in my first rifle years ago. How do they work for you?
I have a bunch of the Sierra 200 gr. soft points but have not shot any in this gun. It just seemed to me like a caliber that called out for a big lead bullet, lol.
FLINT
Levergunner 3.0

Post by FLINT »

That's a cool gun and a cool round.

I had a winchester big bore 375 a few years ago but had to sell it to buy a crossbow when my shoulder got to bad for my compound. I sold it to a guy on here.

Regardless, I'd have to look up exactly what I shot in it but I think it was 250grain hawk bullets over RL7. Shot one big doe with it. worked good. big hole.

I rarely sell guns because I always regret it. oh well.