Get a freezer monitor...

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Get a freezer monitor...

Post by AJMD429 »

Unfortunately, we live in an area where there is no cable, no DSL, and even satellite for some reason doesn't seem to get internet reliably. Landline telephone service doesn't work either because it is a swampy floody area and not enough customers to justify keeping the line waterproof.

So all of those wonderful gadgets for monitoring freezers and other such things basically don't work for us. We do have decent home security, because we have a dedicated directional antenna that takes care of that.

Anyway, due to not having a basement or garage, and a very small house, we keep our freezers in another building. Ever since Obamacare screwed up healthcare, finances have been close enough to the edge that we never quite got to the point where we could install backup generators for electricity. We have a portable generator we can fire up manually when needed, but nothing that kicks on automatically, so the end result was that during a power outage from a thunderstorm last week a breaker tripped, and our primary freezer with over 100 lb of meat in it thawed. When I pulled in the driveway and got out of my car and smelled something dead, I thought maybe it was just some roadkill by the mailbox I had missed, but unfortunately found the answer was quite a loss of several seasons worth of venison and other frozen produce.

So for those who can actually take advantage of the technology, I have to advise that having an alarm set up where you would be notified if your freezers or not staying frozen would be ideal. It could save you quite a bit of money.

Unfortunately, there doesn't appear to be any way we can do that in our situation, but I imagine most of you have access to decent landline or cellular service.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Re: Get a freezer monitor...

Post by gamekeeper »

Don't worry Doc, every cloud has a silver lining........................................... you now have to go hunting again to refill the freezer.... :wink:
If more men loved and cherished their wives as much as I love bacon the world would be a much better place.
goat-t
Levergunner

Post by goat-t »

Doc hookup a light on that circuit outside so you can see it. If light goes out check freezer
Jim
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

That sucks!

I had that happen while we were building our house. The guy I'd hired to install the septic system knocked out the power to the garage where we had appliances plugged in during construction. We were out of town for a few days and found it when we got home. I was upset, but the guy didn't know he'd done it.
The power grid where we live is ancient. If two people sneeze at the d\same time, the power goes out. We finally pulled the pin on a real backup generator, but like everything else demand is outpacing supply. Probably going to be Oct./ Nov. before it's installed. We decided on a Cummins due to the recommendations of, not only the guy installing it, but my electrician that I've known for going on 20 years. He had the same guy install his generator.

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

goat-t wrote: Sun Jul 17, 2022 7:28 pm Doc hookup a light on that circuit outside so you can see it. If light goes out check freezer
Jim
Great idea!

Sorry Doc... that just stinks!
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Ysabel Kid wrote: Sun Jul 17, 2022 7:54 pmSorry Doc... that just stinks!
LITERALLY...!!! 🤮

We have lights on the circuit, but in this case the freezer just quit working... :|
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Scott Tschirhart »

gamekeeper wrote: Sun Jul 17, 2022 5:10 pm Don't worry Doc, every cloud has a silver lining........................................... you now have to go hunting again to refill the freezer.... :wink:
I know that it sucks to lose that meat, but now you can replace it with fresh meat. I used to fill the freezer every fall and we would use the meat up by deer season. But my wife is not too keen on deer meat and it lasts longer than it should.
Old No7
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Old No7 »

Here's an idea for you Doc.........

* Freeze a small bowl of water.

* Add another 1/8" layer of water and freeze that on top.

* Then lay a penny on top of the frozen ice, and keep it in your freezer.

* If it's slushy on top or the penny sinks through the first layer, the power was off for a 6+ hours.

* If the penny ever sinks all the way to the bottom -- then the power was off for more than 12 hours.

(This is an old Mainer's trick.)

Old No7
"Freedom and the Second Amendment... One cannot exist without the other." © 2000 DTH
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Old No7 wrote: Mon Jul 18, 2022 7:20 am Here's an idea for you Doc.........

* If it's slushy on top or the penny sinks through the first layer, the power was off for a 6+ hours.

* If the penny ever sinks all the way to the bottom -- then the power was off for more than 12 hours.

Old No7
That is a cool trick! 8)
Catshooter
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Catshooter »

Ball (and others) make jars that are much more reliable than any freezer ever built.
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

Old No7 wrote: Mon Jul 18, 2022 7:20 am Here's an idea for you Doc.........

Old No7
During hurricane season I've lost power for as long as 48 hours without a problem as long as I keep the door closed. Just a question, Doc, what do you use for internet? We use Viasat but are somewhat dissatisfied with that.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.