Swiss Army Knife.

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Swiss Army Knife.

Post by gamekeeper »

If you like Swiss Army Knives you may like the Farmer X,
The Alox models though more expensive are made with stronger blades and will take more rough treatment. I chose this one because of the scissors and woodsaw both are very useful to me.
Despite our restrictive knife laws here I usually carry three knives two of which are Swiss Army Knives the other one varies with where I'm going :wink:
The Farmer X has the combined tools of the other two SA knives so now I need only carry a total of two knives but knowing me I'll probably end up carrying all four... :lol:
SAK_0-8271-26_S1.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
If more men loved and cherished their wives as much as I love bacon the world would be a much better place.
Dusty Texian
Levergunner 2.0

Re: Swiss Army Knife.

Post by Dusty Texian »

Keep one in my pack at all times while in the back country . ,,,,DT
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

That's a real dandy. I have Multi-Tools in the truck, house, tacklebox.
I got this Leatherman (which is not near as useful as yours) because of the smaller size, and the clip that let's me affix it to the inside of my logger jean's watch pocket.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Mark in MO
Levergunner

Post by Mark in MO »

I've carried a Cadet Alox daily for a number of years now and love it. Honestly it's the handiest pocket knife I have ever carried. My son coveted mine so much we bought him his own for Christmas several years ago. That's probably the only reason I still have mine. I can say I have used every tool on it with the exception of the can opener.
I truthfully use it daily and often wonder, how do people get along with out a pocket knife?
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

For about 30 years, from my preteens until about 10-15 years ago, I carried a "boy scout" Swiss Army knife (similar to the Huntsman, or maybe a variation of it) everwhere I went, including on planes prior to 2001. I still have it. Though I've taken to carrying automatic knives for the last 10 or so years (and a Cold Steel Recon 1 between those). All good tools. My current EDC is a staghorn handled leverlock imported from 3Knives.
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

My son saw the picture and knew immediately what it was. He is a knife nut. SAKs are useful, and the alox scales make them even better. My EDC is a Steel Will flipper with D2 steel. Tried carrying an automatic Templar OTF for a while, but it was heavier than I like. Templar knives are made about 20 miles from me in Waxahachie. Diamondblade, friction forged blades, are made North of Dallas. I visited their factory about 3 or 4 years ago. Very fun.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

I've had 2 of these, very robust design. The very first one I bought was when I was down in San Diego, CA, 20 years ago? The knife dealer there told me that they had many other multi-tools returned to them for repair by the Marines stationed nearby, but never had one of these returned ever. The fact that each tool "locks out" and cannot fold in when using, was a good design to me. You have to actuate a knurled bar release, similar to a double action sixgun to release the cylinder to fold the tool back into place. So you can work the tool hard and not worry about it folding on you and hurting your hand.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00004YVB1/re ... =UTF8&th=1

The only drawback to the original is the grip shape, as its very square and can be hard on the hands. They appear to have a newer version with a more rounded grip:

https://www.amazon.com/Victorinox-Swiss ... 224UE?th=1

I'm sure lots of good tools out there, but this has been a stand-out one for me.

-Tutt
"It ain't dead! As long as there's ONE COWBOY taking care of ONE COW, it ain't dead!!!" (the Cowboy Way)
-Monte Walsh (Selleck version)

"These battered wings still kick up dust." -Peter Gabriel
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Okay, this post got me wondering exactly what I have. Did some research, and figured out the following:

It is a discontinued model.
It was a special-issue for the Boy Scouts.
Though named the "BSA Huntsman", it is actually closer to the "Fieldmaster".
Mine, however, does not have the "multi-purpose" hook both of the other two have!

Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Oh, and John - the scissors and saw are very useful to me too. No need for a corkscrew, but the phillip's head screwdriver in its place has also been used very often!

Only thing I think I'd find useful that it doesn't have is the small plyers.
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

Andy,

I've had one of the Victorinox multi tools for about that long as well. It's a tough sucker for sure. To be fair, Leatherman's customer service is fantastic. I broke one of my favorites doing something I shouldn't have with it and they sent me a brand new one even after I told them it was my fault.
I probably have a dozen Swiss Army knives around here. There's a guy that sets up at some of the local gun shows that usually has about six tables full of knives that have been confiscated by the TSA. SA's are $10-$20 depending on the condition. I've bought several that looked like they just came out of the box. Usually have on me most days.

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

I think the "Swiss Army Knife" will always be with us, and rightfully so. Glad that Leatherman has such good customer service too. Trying to take better care of this second Victorinox multi-tool, just oiled it up with white mineral oil, need to polish the blades some with some fine steel wool however. With negligent care, the first one lasted me 20 years before it started to rust, but I still use it for some things. If I get another 20 years out of this one, with better care, money well spent. -Tutt
"It ain't dead! As long as there's ONE COWBOY taking care of ONE COW, it ain't dead!!!" (the Cowboy Way)

Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Scott Tschirhart »

I carry this one every day and I keep a spare. It has tweezers and a small LED light. Great little knife and there’s not a day that I don’t use it.
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

Scott Tschirhart wrote: Tue Jul 12, 2022 6:54 pm I carry this one every day and I keep a spare. It has tweezers and a small LED light. Great little knife and there’s not a day that I don’t use it.
That's the one I carry on my key ring, very useful... 8)
If more men loved and cherished their wives as much as I love bacon the world would be a much better place.
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Likewise, on my key rings. Have a number of other variations.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

gamekeeper wrote: Wed Jul 13, 2022 3:13 am
Scott Tschirhart wrote: Tue Jul 12, 2022 6:54 pm I carry this one every day and I keep a spare. It has tweezers and a small LED light. Great little knife and there’s not a day that I don’t use it.
I did as well... until TSA told me it "was a weapon" and confiscated it. :(
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

And my EDC for the last year+ (sorry for the horrible picture).

I did a Google search last year for "Big Jake's knife" or "John Wayne Big Jake leverlock" or something, and found this at 3Knives. It was out of stock, but was back in stock in less than a month. I don't see that they even carry it now. I love this knife!
CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

Personally, but I appreciate a multi-tool more, IMHO, -Tutt

Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

Mark in MO wrote: Mon Jul 11, 2022 5:06 pm I've carried a Cadet Alox daily for a number of years now and love it. Honestly it's the handiest pocket knife I have ever carried. My son coveted mine so much we bought him his own for Christmas several years ago. That's probably the only reason I still have mine. I can say I have used every tool on it with the exception of the can opener.
I truthfully use it daily and often wonder, how do people get along with out a pocket knife?
If you've never tried out the can opener you owe it to yourself to give it a try. The SAK can opener is one of the best there IMHO.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Recent Alice and the black one I have had since 86. And, a Case Sod Buster Kr.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

YK, I really love the look of that Big Jake knife... :mrgreen: you chose well Jay.

OS, I have a little Sodbuster by Imperial and a larger Sodbuster with a liner lock by Rough Rider, I don't really like liner lock much I prefer back locks.

IMG_20220714_181039.jpg
Both inexpensive but usable.
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

gk, I have these Imperials at my office.

Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Now, under my desk is Y2K's Cold Steel Laredo Bowie. In case I get caught off guard at home... :wink:

Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Or I could go to the bookcase beside me if I needed something larger...

AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Ysabel Kid wrote: Wed Jul 13, 2022 6:30 pm
gamekeeper wrote: Wed Jul 13, 2022 3:13 am
I did as well... until TSA told me it "was a weapon" and confiscated it. :(
Government gives sphincters and dog poop a bad name...
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

I carry a Leatherman Wave in a double magazine pouch. It means I only have one spare magazine instead of two, but I use the Leatherman almost every day to cut something or for the pliers or the screwdriver. Patients will get a kick out of it when I notice a loose cabinet door and fix it while we are talking.

I only fear is that if I ever needed a second magazine I might try to put the Leatherman in my pistol.... :shock:
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Shooting a Leatherman at someone might screwdriver them up bad. Could cut their life short.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

piller wrote: Thu Jul 14, 2022 8:46 pm Shooting a Leatherman at someone might screwdriver them up bad. Could cut their life short.
Blaine....????...is that you ..? :shock: :lol:

gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

Whilst looking at knife reviews on YouTube I found this, originally on Facebook and obviously not a scientific survey but I like to think it's pretty accurate.... 8)
jvzohppf0xb61.jpg
Click on image to enlarge.
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Trappers now is it? Here is a single blade. Never have been sure what I need that other blade for.

And here is a Ka-Bar inherited by a friend from his grandfather. At least 70 years old.

gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

OS, it looks like I will have to increase my collection to keep up...... :D
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

You ain’t seen nothin yet :)