Pellet gun shooting.

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Pellet gun shooting.

Post by AJMD429 »

Thanks to Nath's inspirational post, I just got out my Gamo "Big Cat 1200" break-barrel spring-piston air rifle to fiddle with. It was perfect weather with zero breeze and only about 72° and no humidity to speak of. The pellets I had were a hodgepodge with at least half of them having deformed skirts, but I just wanted to get a feel for shooting the gun and make sure it works since I haven't shot it probably for at least 10 years. I also have a much more expensive and heavy target type air rifle that I may get out at some point, but I have not shot it in at least 20 years, so I'm betting it will need some maintenance.

Anyway, the gun has a 4X air rifle scope that came with it that seems to work pretty well, and I added a clip-on laser that mounts on a 1" scope tube, but have taken the batteries out for storage so it didn't use that today. Honestly, I think I mounted it just because it makes sighting in easier if you have a second reference point as you are adjusting your crosshairs.

With the odds and ends pellets I was shooting which were different types, and presumably different weights therefore, and some of them deformed, I was lucky if I could keep five shots in an inch at 25 yards, but I recall the gun as being more capable of a quarter inch group at that distance from a rest so I think I'll get some different pellets and do some experimenting for accuracy. After shooting on paper, I shot at some gongs at 25 and 50 yards, and you could tell those little pellets hit with some authority just due to the noise of impact, and the swing imparted to the gong.

I had just been shooting 22 long rifle prior to that and had on hearing protection, but I took the hearing protection off to use the air rifle. I had to laugh, because it startled me how LOUD the air rifle was and reminded me of why people do use suppressors on them. Sadly, mine's not equipped for that but it's not really a big deal.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Pellet gun shooting.

Post by CowboyTutt »

Doc, not sure what caliber you are talking about. Probably 17 or 22. The pellet design has some real flaws, and I would recommend you keep velocity down to 850 to maybe 900 fps. After that, the forces of it going transonic, start to go hay wire. Trying to dig up some videos here that I have posted before. Found this one, much more modern and covers the bases Doc. Mine is a Hatsan 30 caliber "Carnavore". Stupid name, powerful rifle though. It shoots a JSB Match Diabolo at 50.15 grains at 500 fps. It will penetrate 12 inches of ballistic jell. It's a very fine rifle and would recommend it to others. There comes a point where the "pellet bullets" go unstable with too much velocity with too much pressure being applied to them from the sides and rear. Much better to slow them down some. Not sure this video covers it but it might.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ur6iIcVhHmM&t=10s

-Tutt
Last edited by CowboyTutt on Mon Jul 11, 2022 6:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"It ain't dead! As long as there's ONE COWBOY taking care of ONE COW, it ain't dead!!!" (the Cowboy Way)
-Monte Walsh (Selleck version)

"These battered wings still kick up dust." -Peter Gabriel
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Thanks for the advice Tutt; I think I'll opt for heavier pellets to keep the velocities subsonic. I believe the "1200 fps" rating for the air gun I have is based on using non-lead very light-weight projectiles, which not only seem less stable due to the transonic transition happening within the workable rang, but are probably more expensive (not that air rifle 'ammo' is all that pricey).

I look forward to messing around with the air rifle and seeing what kind of loads work best.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

Doc, I hear you! I have also played around some with air guns because my mentor Jim Williamson, a Shootist, has traditionally used them to improve his skills, and his shooting ability, even though he is 20 years my senior, and his eyes and back are failing, is just amazing! So I am just trying to pass on the information. Jim does not have a 30 caliber "pneumatic break-barrel". And he certainly does not have my 45 Caliber Sam Yang in 456 caliber PCN (pre-charged pneumatic) with its custom hot rod tune. But every time I see him, Jim makes me a better shooter and handloader. And his experiences with air guns is extraordinary, so just trying to pass that information on. -Tutt
Last edited by CowboyTutt on Mon Jul 11, 2022 1:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"It ain't dead! As long as there's ONE COWBOY taking care of ONE COW, it ain't dead!!!" (the Cowboy Way)

Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

Glad you had fun Doc.

My favourite cal in an airgun is .25".
Get one of them shooting between 650 & 800 fps and you have a formidable tool!
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Pellet guns are great for helping keep shooting skills honed -- the springers in particular because they so sensitive to hold and follow-through. Some years back I tried one of the Benjamin Marauders in .25 and holy cats, talk about quiet power and fine accuracy. I finally let that one go because the Hill handpump was wearing me out and I had back surgery scheduled. I'd like to get another PCP, but the darned electric pumps to fill them cost as much or more than the gun.
I currently have a BAM/Xisico springer in .177 that I have not shot in a while, and Crosman's Webley Mk VI in CO2. It is a lot of fun to shoot.

https://www.pyramydair.com/product/webl ... =4482#8744
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

Well I’ve got a 50 cal one at home I’ve yet to shoot . And if I arrive home Sunday none the worse for wear I plan on getting it going with either .490” or .495” lead roundballs . I’ve got an Athlon 4–16x on top that’s Air rifle rated . It’s my intention to have it dead on at 50 yards and then see where it’s at in relation to that sight in at 75 and 100 yards . Where this thing will be used a 65 yard shot is most likely as long as it’ll get but it’s better to be prepared . Also wanna know where the third shot in sequence hits at all three yardages , seems the rifle I have can give two full throttle shots and a third shot that’s 75-85% .
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !
stretch
Advanced Levergunner

Post by stretch »

Pellet guns are great for helping keep shooting skills honed -- the springers in particular because they so sensitive to hold and follow-through.
Yep.

Position, hold, follow-through.

The magnum springers will mercilessly show your shortcomings! :lol: :lol:

-Stretch
.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by .45colt »

" The magnum springers will mercilessly show your shortcomings" . That's a fact!. :lol: I have an RWS 350 mag .22cal. it lets you know right now if You don't follow thru .
CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

This was a good scientific experiment between pellets and hybrid slugs in .22. I have some more slugs to play around with in my 30 caliber. Really changed the point of impact when compared to my heavy weight JSB pellets, not just elevation but windage too. Surprising result to me. -Tutt

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JUffiB6aiLE

-Tutt

jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

Pellet guns are fun. But this is funner!
Full auto funner!!
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

I got to shoot one of those a couple of months ago. You talk about something pasting a great big watermelon smile on your face! :lol:
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

My springer .22 pellet rifles have been really loud. The PCP one is quieter, but if I have to take a tree-rat in my backyard, I used the suppressed .22 LR. Much quieter than either.
CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

My Hatsan Carnivore air springer in 30 caliber with its "silencer" on it, is very, very quiet at the muzzle. It is however, much louder when it hits the target! LOL -Tutt

CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

6 Pt, what manufacturer? Sam Yang? If so, Robert at Mr. Hollow Point is a good source of usable bullets. He makes amazing bullets. Little pricey, but he always throws in some additional bullets. He's a very nice man. -A-

Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

CowboyTutt wrote: Mon Jul 11, 2022 6:45 pm My Hatsan Carnivore air springer in 30 caliber with its "silencer" on it, is very, very quiet at the muzzle. It is however, much louder when it hits the target! LOL -Tutt
I bet it does Andy!
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

CowboyTutt wrote: Mon Jul 11, 2022 6:52 pm 6 Pt, what manufacturer? Sam Yang? If so, Robert at Mr. Hollow Point is a good source of usable bullets. He makes amazing bullets. Little pricey, but he always throws in some additional bullets. He's a very nice man. -A-
I think that’s who made it . Called a Dragon Claw or something like that . I’m in the Philippines at the moment or I’d be able to give a better answer . I recieved an email last week from the VDGIF with the laws for this coming season . Most notable in my county in VA I can legally hunt deer from 9/3/22 until 3/26/23 granted the early season and late season are antlerless only . Also any air rifle 35 cal or larger is okay to use for deer .
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

Bill in Oregon wrote: Mon Jul 11, 2022 6:27 pm I got to shoot one of those a couple of months ago. You talk about something pasting a great big watermelon smile on your face! :lol:
Needs a bigger mag. Something along the fifty bb mark. On full auto it’s over to quick. But it turns a two liter bottle into a sieve.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

I really enjoy my Gamo Whisper pellet rifle, and it's extremely accurate. The noisiest part is the pellet leaving the barrel at extremely high velocity and making a good crack as it does. The rifle shoots amazing small groups for a rifle and scope combo I paid only $120 for shipped to my door. Best money I ever spent on a firearm, and it gets lots of off season use.
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

Some interesting things coming out for air guns, the Skout Airgun takes things to a completely different level than anything we have seen before in an air gun or firearm. Reference point, about 39.56. Yes the plethora of "hybrid slugs" is a good idea before that, and we need to see air gun manufacturers moving away from pellets and into "hybrid slugs" but the electronic stuff coming out is amazing and much more so.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ea9iI-EvIqc

-Tutt

JB
Senior Levergunner

Post by JB »

AJMD429 wrote: Sun Jul 10, 2022 8:37 pm .
Thanks for the advice Tutt; I think I'll opt for heavier pellets to keep the velocities subsonic. I believe the "1200 fps" rating for the air gun I have is based on using non-lead very light-weight projectiles,
You're correct. For years companies would find the lightest lead pellets to reach quoted velocities, but after the lighter than lead pellets came along, they started advertising 1,000 and up fps guns. I'm a big fan of qualit German made spring guns. I agree the true magnum guns generally shoot better with heavier pellets. I have tons of assorted brands and weights of pellets I've bought up over the years trying to find the most accurate in various rifles.
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

The newest thing out now is slugs for all calibers. The added weight helps to keep things on the quiet side.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
stretch
Advanced Levergunner

Post by stretch »

I'm a big fan of quality German made spring guns. I agree the true magnum guns generally shoot better with heavier pellets. I have tons of assorted brands and weights of pellets I've bought up over the years trying to find the most accurate in various rifles.
Yes to all of that! 8)

I prefer the pointy pellets for hunting as I think they penetrate better.
The hollow points expand impressively, but don't seem to penetrate enough for me.
2 wounds through the thorax - one entry and one exit - work better, I think.

-Stretch
Mark in MO
Levergunner

Post by Mark in MO »

I have always enjoyed shooting airguns. They are an excellent way to practice your shooting skills and things such as trigger control, breathing, etc. I find it can be rewarding as well as humbling at times. It's something you can do in your backyard or basement for hours with minimal cash outlay. I have several I shoot fairly regularly and occasionally hunt with a Feinwerkbau 124D.

I cut my teeth on a Feinwerkbau 300 shooting competitively many years ago. Skills learned from that stood me in good stead when I later competed on my high school and college rifle teams. Can you even imagine a high school rifle team in todays world? Not uncommon back then though.
Bronco
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Bronco »

Love that 124D :D
Have had mine since the mid 70's. Never considered getting another air rifle. It's all I need or want !

LOL I was on a .22 rimfire rifle team, and even carried it to school. They were kind of strict, I had to store it in the principles office during the day LOL
Last edited by Bronco on Sun Jul 17, 2022 1:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gettin old ain't for sissies!
There just has to be dogs in heaven !
Mark in MO
Levergunner

Post by Mark in MO »

Bronco wrote: Sat Jul 16, 2022 4:31 pm LOL I was on a .22 rimfire rifle team, and even carried it to school. They were kid of strict, I had to store it in the principles office during the day LOL
Interesting. Did you furnish your own rifle or was it "issued" to you? Both the high school I attended as well as the college furnished out ammunition and rifles but they were stored for the most part at school. In high school we had Winchester 52D's and the college had Remington 40X rifles. While competing in college I was fortunate to be able to travel to a number of universities all over the Midwest and as far away as Louisiana.
Sadly, to think back now it seems a little strange given the current environment.
Bronco
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Bronco »

We furnished our own, at least on our team.
I used my dads 22! It was a Springfield M2 22, Did not have nor could afford an actual match 22. My shooting was nothing stellar but not at the bottom! Had a hell of a lot of fun ! That rifle was passed down to me, love it for what it is and for the memories.
Gettin old ain't for sissies!
There just has to be dogs in heaven !