1895 Russian Contract and the 7.62x54r

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

1895 Russian Contract and the 7.62x54r

Post by 2ndovc »

I've been fascinated by military rifles and their cartridges since I was a kid. My dad gave me a Remington 1903A3 at 14, that I still have and 50 years later that fascination is still there.
Other than the .30-'06 the two others that dominate my time are the .303 British and the Russian 7.62x54r.

This rack hangs above the side of my desk and contains two of my best collectibles and two of the most accurate rifles I own.
Looking at them last night and thought it's been a really long time since I've had the '95 and the SVT out.

Out to my buddy's farm this morning with the '95
First was offhand at @ 60-65 yds then on a rest.
174 gr Hornady JRN and 42 grains of Varget works well in both the 7.62R and .303
Target at 100 yds was almost identical.
I improvised a new "Rest" with a sand bag and folding ladder. Ladder is heavy, pretty stable and just the right height.
Took the .40 S&W CHP along. This pistol doesn't shoot the 180s as well as my Blackhawk does.
I'll have to go back to the 155-165s for this one. I like this pistol a lot. It's big and heavy with a lousy trigger, but it's just fun and 100% reliable so far.
Just a nice morning to be outside.

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Re: 1895 Russian Contract and the 7.62x54r

Post by Nath »

Glad you had fun and aired that rifle 👍🏻
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Scott Tschirhart »

That's a really cool rifle!
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Awesome!!!
CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

Thanks for posting Jason!!! I need some shooting time too, but moving soon! You have great tastes in firearms and we think much alike as you know! -Andy
"It ain't dead! As long as there's ONE COWBOY taking care of ONE COW, it ain't dead!!!" (the Cowboy Way)
-Monte Walsh (Selleck version)

"These battered wings still kick up dust." -Peter Gabriel
CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

I uses one of these anymore, its a hybrid of this:

https://www.primos.com/shooting-sticks/ ... 65815.html

and the head of this:

https://shop.opticsplanet.com/bog-death ... hwQAvD_BwE

Works great for my 375 H&H AI "extra long" with heavy weight 350 grain or 390 bullets. It borders on 416 Rem Mag performance. Shooting it off a rest, not a good idea. Standing is OK.

-Tutt
"It ain't dead! As long as there's ONE COWBOY taking care of ONE COW, it ain't dead!!!" (the Cowboy Way)
-Monte Walsh (Selleck version)

"These battered wings still kick up dust." -Peter Gabriel
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Jason, that is a wonderful old Winchester built for the Czar's army. Does it have imperial eagle stamps? Judging by your targets it still has a very nice bore.
Curious -- the Mosin third from top -- is it a Finn Model 39? I had one rebuilt and rebarreled by Sako during WWII and it was about the most accurate surplus rifle I have ever shot.
Andy, that .375 H&H AI with those heavies -- just WOW!
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

Bill in Oregon wrote: Sat Jul 09, 2022 6:06 am Jason, that is a wonderful old Winchester built for the Czar's army. Does it have imperial eagle stamps? Judging by your targets it still has a very nice bore.
Curious -- the Mosin third from top -- is it a Finn Model 39? I had one rebuilt and rebarreled by Sako during WWII and it was about the most accurate surplus rifle I have ever shot.
Andy, that .375 H&H AI with those heavies -- just WOW!
Bill,
Yes it is a M39 Finn. It also has a 1942 dated barrel and will shoot as well as my Remington 03A3. The other Nagant was put together from parts starting with an unissued 91/30 Tikka barrel. That one shoots tiny little groups.
The '95 has Russian proof marks, but no crest. the coolest thing about it is the Spanish Loyalist cartouche on the stock. Sometime in the '30s it was sent to Spain and involved in their civil war. I would love to know how it made it back to Cleveland, OH!

Andy,
Thanks for the links, I've been looking at those. My ladder just happened to be in the truck from a couple of roof inspections last week. It's too heavy and awkward to use often. :D One of those little tripod gizmos would be perfect. I need to talk my friend into letting me build a longer range backstop on his farm. We could do 1000 yards easily.

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

what a Story that rack holds! i always wished my firearms could talk to me . . . it would take a far better writer than I to write those stories :!: