RCBS Dies for Reloading 32-20 Winchester

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
whaler
Levergunner

RCBS Dies for Reloading 32-20 Winchester

Post by whaler »

I'm pretty new to reloading, and brand new to 32-20 Winchester. I've become a fan of RCBS, so went looking for a die set.
They list two: their "32-20 Win Cowboy Dies - 3-Die Roll Crimp Set 32-20 Win" (model 18151), and their "3-Die Roll Crimp Set - Group E - Straight Walled Cartridges" (model 18105). Confused, I called RCBS, who reiterated that the 18105 was for straight-walled cartridges. I thought all 32 WCF brass had a slight neck and were not straight-walled.

Any advice is greatly appreciated, and maybe I should be looking beyond RCBS for dies. Thanks....
1894cfan
Senior Levergunner

Re: RCBS Dies for Reloading 32-20 Winchester

Post by 1894cfan »

Check out MidwayUSA and look for 32/20 WCF dies. Found several listed available. HTH and good luck in your search.
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

FWIW , when I was loading 25-20 and 32-20 I had two sets of dies for both cartridges the regular set and the three die Cowboy set . You’ll find even though you don’t have to have the neck expander die when loading jacketed it makes it a lot easier . The necks on both cartridges are easy to crush if you’re new to these cases .
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Necks are notoriously fragile in 32-20's.

However, despite that, I've actually had good luck with the Lee 'Factory Crimp' dies. You can adjust them for a super-tough crimp-through-jacketed-bullets-even-without-a-cannelure crimp for things like 454 Casull, where the bullets tend to jump, but you can ALSO adjust them for a gentle but effective crimp that works for the 32-20.

Where the necks get damaged is mostly during bullet seating, so be careful with that step.

I don't have any 'taper crimp' dies for 32-20, but it always seemed like those would be the ideal ones to avoid 'overworking' the brass.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

You'll be fine with the RCBS Cowboy dies.

Expect some ruined cases, it happens easily if you're not paying attention. :D

Have fun!

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Tycer »

The Cowboy dies are designed for cast bullets and will help you keep from crushing the neck. Get some Starline brass. If you can’t find any I might be talked out of some.
Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com