What Happened To The Men Who Signed The Declaration of Independence?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
JimT
Shootist

What Happened To The Men Who Signed The Declaration of Independence?

Post by JimT »

Have you ever wondered what happened to the 56 men who signed the Declaration of Independence?

Five signers were captured by the British as traitors and tortured before they died.

Twelve had their homes ransacked and burned.

Two lost their sons serving in the Revolutionary Army; another had two sons captured.

Nine of the 56 fought and died from wounds or hardships of the Revolutionary War.

They signed and they pledged their lives, their fortunes, and their sacred honor.

What kind of men were they?

Twenty-four were lawyers and jurists.

Eleven were merchants, nine were farmers and large plantation owners; men of means, well educated. But they signed the Declaration of Independence knowing full well that they penalty would be death if they were captured.

Carter Braxton of Virginia, a wealthy planter and trader, saw his ships swept from the seas by the British Navy. He sold his home and properties to pay his debts, and died in rags.

Thomas McKeam was so hounded by the British that he was forced to move his family almost constantly. He served in the Congress without pay, and his family was kept in hiding. His possessions were taken from him, and poverty was his reward.

Vandals or soldiers looted the properties of Dillery, Hall, Clymer, Walton, Gwinnett, Heyward, Ruttledge, and Middleton.

At the battle of Yorktown, Thomas Nelson, Jr. noted that the British General Cornwalls had taken over the Nelson home for his headquarters. He quietly urged General George Washington to open fire. The home was destroyed and Nelson died bankrupt.

Francis Lewis had his home and properties destroyed. The enemy jailed his wife, and she died within a few months.

John Hart was driven from his wife’s bedside as she was dying. Their 13 children fled for their lives. His fields and his gristmill were laid to waste. For more than a year he lived in forests and caves, returning home to find his wife dead and his children vanished. A few weeks later he died from exhaustion and a broken heart.

Norris and Livingston suffered similar fates.

Such were the stories and sacrifices of the American Revolution. These were not wild-eyed, rabble-rousing ruffians. They were soft-spoken men of means and education. They had security, but they valued liberty more. Standing tall, straight, and unwavering, they pledged: “For the support of this declaration, with firm reliance on the protection of the divine providence, we mutually pledge to each other, our lives, our fortunes, and our sacred honor”.

They gave you and me a free and independent America. The history books never told you a lot about what happened in the Revolutionary War. We didn’t fight just the British. We were British subjects at that time and we fought our own government! Some of us take these liberties so much for granted, but we shouldn’t. So, take a few minutes while enjoying your 4th of July holiday and silently thank these patriots. It’s not much to ask for the price they paid. Remember: freedom is never free!

from https://www.lawguys.com/what-happened-t ... ependence/
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Re: What Happened To The Men Who Signed The Declaration of Independence?

Post by marlinman93 »

Thank you Jim!
This is something every American should know and remember. Not just today, but every day!
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by .45colt »

Thank Jim! I read this some time ago but it's always Good to have a reminder. I'm printing it out. I know a lot of "leaders" :cry: in Washington who should read it. Happy 4th.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

.45colt wrote: Mon Jul 04, 2022 12:33 pmThank Jim! I read this some time ago but it's always Good to have a reminder. I'm printing it out. I know a lot of "leaders" :cry: in Washington who should read it. Happy 4th.
I've always asked any elected official to answer the following question, "...are you willing to sign the Declaration of Independence, if needed?" Few are.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

Good idea Griff, I will use that! -Tutt
"It ain't dead! As long as there's ONE COWBOY taking care of ONE COW, it ain't dead!!!" (the Cowboy Way)
-Monte Walsh (Selleck version)

"These battered wings still kick up dust." -Peter Gabriel
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Griff wrote: Mon Jul 04, 2022 2:11 pm
.45colt wrote: Mon Jul 04, 2022 12:33 pmThank Jim! I read this some time ago but it's always Good to have a reminder. I'm printing it out. I know a lot of "leaders" :cry: in Washington who should read it. Happy 4th.
I've always asked any elected official to answer the following question, "...are you willing to sign the Declaration of Independence, if needed?" Few are.
Excellent question to pose!
Oldncrusty
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Oldncrusty »

Awesome article. Thanks!
MS 9x56
Levergunner

Post by MS 9x56 »

This is something that needs to be taught in our schools. We were always taught who the signers were but never what happened to them.
Life is too short to hunt with ugly guns
wvfarrier
Senior Levergunner

Post by wvfarrier »

Thanks for posting that. Real men from an era of sacrifice
A bondservant of our Lord, Christ Jesus
.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by .45colt »

I just ordered a full size copy of the Declaration to hang on the wall along with this so the Grandkids can put the names to the fate they suffered.
mickbr
Levergunner 3.0

Post by mickbr »

the way the world is going our grandkids may appreciate such documents better than anyone.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

I saw a chart with the AGES of the signers, and hadn't realized many were in their 20's and early 30's.

Far wiser than many in that age group these days.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by .45colt »

Here is the chart that Doc was talking about.https://www.archives.gov/founding-docs/ ... -factsheet
Thanks for starting this thread Jim.