Making A Joyful Noise

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
JimT
Shootist

Making A Joyful Noise

Post by JimT »

The Good Book says we should make a joyful noise and I like to do that as often as possible. I have been staying with my oldest daughter for a month or so and since she has a shooting range 50 or 75 feet from the front door, it's fairly easy for me to go make a joyful noise.

I only brought 600 or 700 rounds with me so I have to ration them, but we are doing OK. I used the Model 10 S&W .38 Special. My loads were the 160 gr. cast FP with 3.2 gr. of Bullseye. I primed some of them with Small Rifle primers and some with Small Pistol primers. There was no discernible difference in the power of the loads, but the Model 10 won't always set off the Small Rifle primers when shooting double action. Some I had to snap twice to get them to go. Firing single action I had no such problems.
IMG_3484.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Re: Making A Joyful Noise

Post by AJMD429 »

Anyone who says "...I only brought 600 or 700 rounds with me so I have to ration them, but we are doing OK...." is my kinda guy... 8)
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

Good one, Doc!

I've always like the look and feel of a round butt revolver.

Put a ton of 148 gr wad cutter/ 3.2-3.5 gr. Bullseye rounds down range as a kid with my dad's and grandfather's .38s. Good stuff. Probably should get a picture of grandpa's Official Police.

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

AJMD429 wrote: Sun Jul 03, 2022 1:13 pm .
Anyone who says "...I only brought 600 or 700 rounds with me so I have to ration them, but we are doing OK...." is my kinda guy... 8)
Ditto..... 8)
If more men loved and cherished their wives as much as I love bacon the world would be a much better place.
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

How do you make sure you don't double charge Jim, assuming a single stage set up that is, of which I doubt you only use going by the volume of shooting you do?
I use to put the primed cases primer up in the tray. If it's the right way up (case mouth up) its charged etc.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Nath wrote: Sun Jul 03, 2022 4:23 pm How do you make sure you don't double charge Jim, assuming a single stage set up that is, of which I doubt you only use going by the volume of shooting you do?
I use to put the primed cases primer up in the tray. If it's the right way up (case mouth up) its charged etc.
The way I have done it when I don't use a bulky enough powder to avoid double charges is to get a dowel rod and mark a line to where the dowel rod and the case mouth meet with a properly charged case. I charge all the cases and then I put the dowel rod and every single one and make sure the line is there where it should be. It only takes a minute to check 100 cases and it's well worth the effort compared to dealing with a blown up gun...!

My favorite loads are ones that are really full or even compressed. My 6 mm Remington loads with 4831 were typically full up into the neck so compressed when you seated the bullet. They weren't even near maximum loads so if I wanted to load some really quickly I literally would scoop the case through a bowl of powder and just shake It off until the power level was somewhere in the neck. The interesting thing was that Ruger M77V varmint barrel rifle would still shoot half inch groups at 100 yards even if I loaded the cases that way.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

I do everything on a RCBS Rockchucker. I had a progressive press years ago ... sold it after a few years and went back to the single stage press. I keep cartridges of each caliber primed and ready to load, so that when i start loading all I need to do is powder, seat and crimp. Most all cartridges are seated and crimped in separate steps.

When doing the powder charging .. whether it's fast powder in a large case or bulky powder in a small one .. I use a cartridge holder and charge 100 or so cases at a time. Then I take a small flashlight and look into each case, noting the powder level. It's easy to spot one that you've left the powder out of or double charged. I haven' caught a mistake in many years because I do not try to load quantity. I load for quality. And being retired, I can use as much time as I need without being rushed.