Had the 1885, .45-70 out this morning.

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Had the 1885, .45-70 out this morning.

Post by 2ndovc »

Made a trip out to my friend's farm this morning. Still working on loads for the Browning custom I bought last winter. The rifle was part of an estate and got zero information with it. It's a beast of a rifle and nicely done, starting from scratch figuring out what the original owner had it built for.
So far the 405 grain bullets rule, and getting good results with Varget. The IMR 3031 loads were far larger as were the 350 grain bullets. I started with 48 grains of Varget, then 45. Going to slow it down a bit more with a batch of 42 and 40 grains. The 48 grain load with that butt plate is brutal. :shock:
I'm hoping to get it out to two hundred yards next time as well. I was too close at 100 yds for the new Shaver sight to be useful, but it is a beautiful piece of workmanship.

There's eight rounds in the cluster below the high and low shots. Those were my fault and getting used to the trigger.

I took my OM Flat top along as well. I haven't shot it since I bought it. Started out with .44 Magnums with this revolver and it was months before the bruises on my knuckles healed! Haven't had it out since.
I'd made up some new .44 Spl. loads for my little Cimarron Thunderer that shot pretty well and were anything but abusive.
The Flat Top shot wide with the LHP load that the Cimarron shot well and did pretty well the Hollow Base WC that the Cimarron didn't shoot well. Both bullets were over a charge of 6.3 gr of Unique. I think I'm going to lighten the WC load and give it another try. I popped off a shot at a woodchuck about 80 yards out and shot over it. That bullet was moving faster than I thought.
One of the HB bullets fell out of the RR tie.

The old Flat top.

jb 8)
Last edited by 2ndovc on Sun Jul 03, 2022 7:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Had the 1885, .45-70 out this morning.

Post by CowboyTutt »

Jason, a PAST "gun bra" and good shooting gloves will fix all that! :lol: Nice guns again! -Andy
"It ain't dead! As long as there's ONE COWBOY taking care of ONE COW, it ain't dead!!!" (the Cowboy Way)
-Monte Walsh (Selleck version)

"These battered wings still kick up dust." -Peter Gabriel
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

I know, but I'll skip the gloves. I've tried them before, just can't get into it. Besides, I like the idea of having it sighted in with .44 Specials. I have six other magnums to play with. The SBH and large frame Vaqueros chew up my favorite 240 LSWC/ 10.5 gr. Unique like popcorn.

I'm sure I can find a nice lace on leather butt pad. It wasn't bad with the lighter 45 grain load, and betting if I get some good groups with 40 grains it will be far more pleasant to shoot. That way I can skip the "manzere" too. :D

jb 8)

TraderVic
Levergunner 3.0

Post by TraderVic »

Is the butt stock factory, the comb looks a bit high? Nice looking falling block rifle !
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

The only thing original is the action. Whoever did the work did a beautiful job. I don't think I got much use, if any at all, after it was made.
I should get some better pictures of it.

jb 8)

Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

Lovely rifle and revolver.

I would be tempted to shoot it off sticks, sitting or standing, anything but the bench!
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Get a newspaper and slip a section under your shirt between you and the stock. Newspaper distributes the recoil over a wide area.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

Nath wrote: Sun Jul 03, 2022 7:33 am Lovely rifle and revolver.

I would be tempted to shoot it off sticks, sitting or standing, anything but the bench!
I know, I need to make a nice set of shooting sticks. As for shooting this thing offhand, at 22 pounds I'm good for a few shots and have to put it down. There was a time, that wouldn't have been an issue.
The 30" barrel has no taper and the outside dia. is 1 1/8". It's a bit on the weighty side.

Brian, that's an interesting idea. I'll have to remember that one. :D
jb 8)

Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

those are real beauties. and your eyesight, wow. maybe your rifle is a punt gun. at that weight you could load shot and hunt ducks. just kidding. I'd like to shoot that one.
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

Grizz wrote: Sun Jul 03, 2022 11:44 am those are real beauties. and your eyesight, wow. maybe your rifle is a punt gun. at that weight you could load shot and hunt ducks. just kidding. I'd like to shoot that one.
Yesterday was a good day. I developed diabetes a couple of years ago, and still get into some things I shouldn't, but it can be a couple of months earlier. It's a slow curve, but I'm getting better at it. Bubbles made several batches of cookies about two months ago and I just couldn't stay out of them. :D A month of behaving myself brought things back to normal, but it's not like it was when I was a kid. Didn't need glasses until I was in my late forties. Need them for up close, detailed work now.

Can't wait to get this one back out and longer distances.

jb 8)