Ity Bity Marlin 32 LC

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Dusty Texian
Levergunner 2.0

Ity Bity Marlin 32 LC

Post by Dusty Texian »

The tiny little Marlin 1892 ( circa 1896 ) .32 Long Colt , .32 Short Colt , .32 Rimfire Long , .32 Rimfire Short , .32 Shot . Its a tiny little rascal , but fun to shoot and will put a pig in the smokehouse with an ear shot .
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ollogger
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Ity Bity Marlin 32 LC

Post by ollogger »

You really do have some awesome guns, but wondering if alot of them floated around Texas since
the 1800s or all over the place?

ollogger
Dusty Texian
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Dusty Texian »

Some from Tx. and others from all over the place .
.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by .45colt »

Sounds like an early 32-20 to Me.
Dusty Texian
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Dusty Texian »

.45colt wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 5:26 pm Sounds like an early 32-20 to Me.
It's not a 32-20 wcf , the little 1892 frames were .32 and .22 . The .32 ' s would chamber different .32 Centerfire and by swapping out the provided firing pin to rimfire it could shoot a few rimfire cartridges also . A good little small game gun .
44shooter
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 44shooter »

That ought to knock ‘em out the tree
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

AWESOME LITTLE GUN.
LET US KNOW WHEN THE BBQ IS!!! :wink:
LETS GO SHOOT'N BOYS
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Looks like a lot of fun with no sore shoulder.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

I had a pair an 1892 and a model 92 both capable of rimfire or centerfire if you changed the firing pins . Took the first one up to John Kort’s Silver Jubilee shoot the only time I went . I think mine was a contributing factor for him acquiring one . Never killed anything with the ones I had other than a couple squirrels . Although they punched plenty holes in paper And tinked a lot of silhouettes .
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !
Dusty Texian
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Dusty Texian »

6pt-sika wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 5:59 pm I had a pair an 1892 and a model 92 both capable of rimfire or centerfire if you changed the firing pins . Took the first one up to John Kort’s Silver Jubilee shoot the only time I went . I think mine was a contributing factor for him acquiring one . Never killed anything with the ones I had other than a couple squirrels . Although they punched plenty holes in paper And tinked a lot of silhouettes .
Good memories , years back when first started loading and shooting the little Marlin 32 I corresponded with John quite a bit . He was the most helpful guy ever . I learned more from him about loading the 32 LC than anyone or anywhere else . Never met him in person , but felt he was a friend for sure . You are lucky to have met and shot with him . John sent several packs of bullets for testing just out of kindness . I still have a couple packs of his sample bullets neatly wrapped in Nature Valley Bars packages . Think I'll open them and load the bullets for some plinking in his Honor . Thanks all for the replies . ,,,DT
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

That's a real beauty, and should be a great shooter with a good bore!
The little 1891, 1892 Marlin lever guns were the same size in .32 Long as their brethren in .22 rimfire. Just a different barrel, mag tube, and internal parts to make them work with the .32 cartridges. They originally came with two firing pins to switch from RF to CF ammo, and were quickly swapped to either.
I've owned a dozen of these in various configurations and calibers, and they're slick little guns! I had a pair I bought that were deluxe pistol grip, checkered versions in .32 and they were beautiful guns.
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
Dusty Texian
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Dusty Texian »

marlinman93 wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 9:55 am That's a real beauty, and should be a great shooter with a good bore!
The little 1891, 1892 Marlin lever guns were the same size in .32 Long as their brethren in .22 rimfire. Just a different barrel, mag tube, and internal parts to make them work with the .32 cartridges. They originally came with two firing pins to switch from RF to CF ammo, and were quickly swapped to either.
I've owned a dozen of these in various configurations and calibers, and they're slick little guns! I had a pair I bought that were deluxe pistol grip, checkered versions in .32 and they were beautiful guns.
Bet those deluxe pistol grip guns were beautiful . I watched a deluxe pistol grip at auction a while back knowing full well it would go for far more than I would shell out . Not that it wasn't worth it , just not a good time for me . Have you ever owned one with the longer than 24" barrel ? And if so was it any better of a shooter ? The little 24 " barrel gun I have , has a good bore and shoots pretty good . We have a steel ringer target set up at 150 yds. from the bench . Shooting that steel and hearing the ring after will bring a smile to any face that shoots it . Always thought a 26 or 28" barrel and button mag. would be tops in one of these . The little Marlin 32 in just plain fun !!!
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

Dusty Texian wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 12:45 pm
marlinman93 wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 9:55 am That's a real beauty, and should be a great shooter with a good bore!
Bet those deluxe pistol grip guns were beautiful . I watched a deluxe pistol grip at auction a while back knowing full well it would go for far more than I would shell out . Not that it wasn't worth it , just not a good time for me . Have you ever owned one with the longer than 24" barrel ? And if so was it any better of a shooter ? The little 24 " barrel gun I have , has a good bore and shoots pretty good . We have a steel ringer target set up at 150 yds. from the bench . Shooting that steel and hearing the ring after will bring a smile to any face that shoots it . Always thought a 26 or 28" barrel and button mag. would be tops in one of these . The little Marlin 32 in just plain fun !!!
I've owned two with 28" extra length barrels and one was one of those deluxe versions. Yes, with iron sights the longer sighting radius resulted in a bit more accuracy. I love old guns with extra long barrels, and when I had a pretty big Marlin lever action collection I owned some 1893 and 1894 Marlins with 34" and 32" barrels also. They were tough to find, but very cool rifles.
Here's some old pics. Bottom one in this image is a 28" 1891 in .32 Long

Bottom in this image is a rare first year 1891 side loader in .22 RF

Bottom rifle is a deluxe 1892 in .32 RF and above it a deluxe 1892 in .22 RF. Middle on the takedown case is a 1897 in .22.

Bottom in this is another deluxe 1891 in .32 Long
Dusty Texian
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Dusty Texian »

Some very fine guns . These old guns are so much more interesting than what is being produced today , it's a pleasure just seeing them .
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

Dusty Texian wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 2:11 pm Some very fine guns . These old guns are so much more interesting than what is being produced today , it's a pleasure just seeing them .
Thanks!
Almost all of them have gone down the road over the years, as I caught the Marlin Ballard single shot bug and sold many off to fund my interest in Ballard rifles. I still love old Marlin lever actions from before WWI though, and kept some I really liked a lot.
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Those old rifles are some fine examples of skill that has reached the level of art. Beautiful and functional.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

piller wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 10:29 pm Those old rifles are some fine examples of skill that has reached the level of art. Beautiful and functional.
Yep.

I think marlinman93 earned his moniker...!
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

AJMD429 wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 10:31 pm
piller wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 10:29 pm Those old rifles are some fine examples of skill that has reached the level of art. Beautiful and functional.
Yep.

I think marlinman93 earned his moniker...!
When I had my Marlin collection the vast majority was 1893 Marlins. The first Marlin I ever owned was an 1893 takedown, which I inherited back when my dear friend passed away. I had over a dozen 1893's at one point, in various calibers and configurations.
The first Marlin I bought is an 1893 takedown in .25-36 Marlin caliber. It has 3 special order sights, and an extremely rare factory fitted Whitney trapdoor buttplate serial numbered to the gun. No rear barrel sight, but receiver sight, tang sight, and Lyman #7 globe sight. It wont ever get away again.
Dusty Texian
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Dusty Texian »

Dusty Texian wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 12:55 pm The tiny little Marlin 1892 ( circa 1896 ) .32 Long Colt , .32 Short Colt , .32 Rimfire Long , .32 Rimfire Short , .32 Shot . Its a tiny little rascal , but fun to shoot and will put a pig in the smokehouse with an ear shot .

Firing pin in paper envelope that came with the 1892 Marlin when purchased new . Found this one for sale , the price was WOW !!!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

Dusty Texian wrote: Wed Jul 20, 2022 8:22 am
Dusty Texian wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 12:55 pm The tiny little Marlin 1892 ( circa 1896 ) .32 Long Colt , .32 Short Colt , .32 Rimfire Long , .32 Rimfire Short , .32 Shot . Its a tiny little rascal , but fun to shoot and will put a pig in the smokehouse with an ear shot .

Firing pin in paper envelope that came with the 1892 Marlin when purchased new . Found this one for sale , the price was WOW !!!
What a fantastic, and rare find! If I still had mine I'd buy one like that at almost any price the seller asked. Neat!
Dusty Texian
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Dusty Texian »

That is a rare find . Very Cool .
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

That just sounds like the cat's meow. What fun! 8) :mrgreen: 8)
yooper2
Levergunner 3.0

Post by yooper2 »

Those small frame .32s are so cool! While not a lever, the Marlin 27s pump gun is similarly scaled and an absolute delight to carry afield.

Eric
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

Ysabel Kid wrote: Wed Jul 20, 2022 3:59 pm
I doubt I'll find one over here but yes sounds like the Cat's meow to me too.... 8)
If more men loved and cherished their wives as much as I love bacon the world would be a much better place.
Dusty Texian
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Dusty Texian »

gamekeeper wrote: Fri Jul 22, 2022 10:01 am
I doubt I'll find one over here but yes sounds like the Cat's meow to me too.... 8)
They are very few even over here and bring a premium price when one is found . The little rifle is a treat to carry and the .32 LC is one of the most efficient cartridges I have worked with . 90 Gr. of Wheel Weights cast at heeled bullet , a dab of lube . 4 or 5 Gr. powder and a Small Pistol primer is cheap to shoot . And gives a 90 Gr. bullet traveling in excess of 1.000 fps . Perfect for small game and varmints . Kind of like your Rook Rifle I would guess .,,,,DT
Dusty Texian
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Dusty Texian »

Dusty Texian wrote: Fri Jul 22, 2022 11:09 am
gamekeeper wrote: Fri Jul 22, 2022 10:01 am
They are very few even over here and bring a premium price when one is found . The little rifle is a treat to carry and the .32 LC is one of the most efficient cartridges I have worked with . 90 Gr. of Wheel Weights cast at heeled bullet , a dab of lube . 4 or 5 Gr. powder and a Small Pistol primer is cheap to shoot . And gives a 90 Gr. bullet traveling in excess of 1.000 fps . Perfect for small game and varmints . Kind of like your Rook Rifle I would guess .,,,,DT
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

My experience has been the .32 caliber 1891 and 1892 Models don't bring as much as the .22's do. They are less common, but this is one case where less common doesn't relate to more expensive. A lot of collectors prefer the .22 rimfire model. I personally love both, but I think the .32 versions are more fun, and easy to reload for.
Dusty Texian
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Dusty Texian »

The .22 's are great little rifles , when / if the right one comes along I'm sure I'll change my mind and forget I said I don't need to buy another gun . I think the lack of ammunition for the .32's has deterred many from buying them in the past . I like them both also but must say the .32's are special . The .32 LC is one of the best little cartridges I reload for . And yes they are a breeze to re- load . Years back I thought ,,,,, wonder what the little .32 LC power potential would be if not limited to what the action could handle . So I re-barreled a 1901 Remington Rolling Block Smokeless action , it had been a 7MM Spanish Mauser . I threaded and chambered a Green Mountain raw blank in .30 Cal. 1 in 12 " ROT . 25" long . I cut the chamber length deep enough so the full length .32Long Colt case with heeled bullet could be used . Mounted a 6X 3/4 in. scope on it , made a set of stocks for it after bending the lower tang into a sharp pistol grip . Changed the Main Spring and Trigger spring . Left the barrel real heavy as it is just a bench shooter . The rifle shoots very accurate off sand bags and with two different Accurate design mold cast bullets along with the 299153 90 bullet . It can push bullets at and over 32 H&R Mag performance with no pressure signs of excessive pressure . I use a case over and over with no resizing needed . Actually shoot / re-load the same case and shoot again . In no hurry , I do it for fun . ,,,,,DT
Dusty Texian
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Dusty Texian »

The overbuilt Rolling Block 32 LC , should take the time and finish the wood and metal on it . Maybe one day .