Black Powder vs Smokeless Powder Pressure Curves 44-40

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Bryan Austin
Levergunner 2.0

Black Powder vs Smokeless Powder Pressure Curves 44-40

Post by Bryan Austin »

Smokeless Powder Curves.png
Click image to start animation, give it time to load
Smokeless Powder Curves.gif

Click image to start animation, give it time to load
Black Powder gif.gif
Black Powder Curves.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Dusty Texian
Levergunner 2.0

Re: Black Powder vs Smokeless Powder Pressure Curves 44-40

Post by Dusty Texian »

As always Great work Bryan .
KWK
Senior Levergunner

Post by KWK »

Thank you, Bryan!
Bryan Austin
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Bryan Austin »

IMG_7760.MOV
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Bryan Austin
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Bryan Austin »

Here is a basic probable pressure timeline from 1874 to 2022

It shows that when Winchester switched from smokeless rifle powders to smokeless pistol powders, performance suffered.

Drawdown
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Drawdown »

Bryan, I saw your posts on Ky Hunting Forum. I often read there since I live in KY, but I don't participate to the forum. Great info, in depth, well done, very interesting! I love mountain Hunting, only type I have available. Shot my Mod 94 sat, in the woods, just fun Hunting practice. But you make me wish I had a 73 to do some serious lever Hunting!

Ky has allowed a Lotta season times, to crossbows, muzzloaders, archery, and that's good, I think it great. No doubt due to lobbying for sales of such equipment, and again I ain't knocking none it, we got plenty game!

But I sure wish they'd have a like early season, say Oct, for the old hyphen calibers & guns! The crossbow season is to liberal if you ask me, half it and share equal time to the old original hyphen guns. The crossbows are just as deadly, and take a Lotta game that should be shared!
But all your posts make me realize one thing for sure? Put all your post back to 1970-77, to where I could've read them then. I'd be dying for a 73, at least a levergun similar, and to hunt deer with them! I know for sure! And young people of today would benefit so much more all around by seeing these, applying it to their dreams, way life!
"Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life"

"Better drawdown Alvin!"
"If you gotta shoot, shoot don't talk"
Conservative since day one and until the last!
CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

Good data for sure, and the reason I run smokeless in my original 71/84 Mauser made in 1888. Much lower pressure then BP, same velocity, easier on the gun, burns cleaner, less worry about corrosion. What's not to like??? -Tutt
"It ain't dead! As long as there's ONE COWBOY taking care of ONE COW, it ain't dead!!!" (the Cowboy Way)
-Monte Walsh (Selleck version)

"These battered wings still kick up dust." -Peter Gabriel