J stevens arms 32 long

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Miles
Levergunner

J stevens arms 32 long

Post by Miles »

Howdy,
I'm trying to gather info on a J. Stevens single shot lever.

Been on the computer for a couple hours trying to find out what model, when it was made and if 32 long means 32 colt or 32 S&W.
It has an Octagon barrel, which is removable by loosening a screw under the action.
Moving the lever drops the breech block and rotates it rearward.
the serial number is G with three numbers behind it.
It's marked favorite which I assume is the series, but I've seen No 1, 17 20 and other models listed don't know what this is.
Anyone know or can tell me where to go to find out?
steven's 32 long 011.jpg
steven's 32 long 009.jpg
steven's 32 long 007.jpg
steven's 32 long 006.jpg
steven's 32 long 003.jpg
steven's 32 long 002.jpg
steven's 32 long 001.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
765x53
Senior Levergunner

Re: J stevens arms 32 long

Post by 765x53 »

Miles
Levergunner

Post by Miles »

The firing pin is centered in the chamber, looks like a Centerfire not a Rimfire.

Kinda wondering where to get info on the rifle itself, Looks like Savage owned Stevens arms, I just can't tell if the gun is pre or post
Savage.
Dusty Texian
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Dusty Texian »

Miles I have a Marlin rifle that has two firing pins . One for Centerfire and One for Rimfire . The rifle is chambered for .32 LC and .32 Long Rimfire . These cartridges are Heeled bullet design with outside lube bullets . The S&W Long will not chamber in a rifle that is chambered for .32 LC and .32 Rimfire because the case Dia. is larger on the S&W with its inside lubed bullet design .
yooper2
Levergunner 3.0

Post by yooper2 »

A former boss of mine had one of neat little rifles with the dual firing pins. We got it shooting with Long colt brass and a mold from Buffalo Arms. He did a number on the squirrel population with it.

Eric
Dusty Texian
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Dusty Texian »

yooper2 wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 8:45 pm A former boss of mine had one of neat little rifles with the dual firing pins. We got it shooting with Long colt brass and a mold from Buffalo Arms. He did a number on the squirrel population with it.

Eric

.32LC is one of my favorite plinking and small game cartridges . Cant count the times I have listened while the Grandchildren argued over who was getting to use the little 1892 32 LC next . They favor it over all others , this day Brylen lost and had to use the Daisy .22
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Mike Armstrong
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Mike Armstrong »

Dang, that cottingtail makes my mouth water! And the kid won't break his back teeth on a birdshot either!
Miles
Levergunner

Post by Miles »

I saw a couple videos about converting from rimfire to centerfire, don't know if that was done here.

After a few more hours on the web, it looks like an 1890s rifle which would have been manufactured rimfire. But I see Savage arms bought Stevens arms and made the brand well into the mid 1900s, I wonder if Savage brought back this model in centerfire?

I cannot find any records pertaining to the serial number of the gun and the date of manufacture.

I use cast lead heeled bullets, externally lubed, with modified 44 colt cases to replicate the 44 Remington center fire to shoot in my original 1858 Remington single action army revolver, it was an armoury conversion from cap and ball to metallic cartridge. Manufactured in 1862.
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

The Stevens Favorite was chambered in .32 Long, which is similar to .32 Long Colt, but a different size bullet. It was originally the .32 Long Ballard and Wesson cartridge, and yours being a CF is most likely converted from a RF version.
No records exist for old Stevens single shot rifles, but the Favorites started back in 1893 and were around until 1939. Early models made in 1893-94 era look much different than the #17 Favorite like yours. Can't tell you where in production of 1895-1939 yours falls.
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
Dusty Texian
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Dusty Texian »

Early .32 Cartridges .
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

I have the exact rifle. I have a full box of old shells for it, but I've never fired it. It's in really nice shape.
I bought some Steven's singles for my son when he was about 3. I have another in .22LR and a "Tip Up" pistol in 22LR too. We've shot those a bunch, and they are really neat.
"Oh bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round.
Miles
Levergunner

Post by Miles »

Thank you for the replies, I apologize for not saying this earlier.

I took a couple pics of the breech block with a borescope. Looks like it's a converted rimfire. I cant tell if the rimfire pin hole has been filled or is empty, which would be a poor conversion.
I'll have to take it apart when I get a chance.

So the 32 long Colt would be a close match for the chamber?
WIN_20220703_07_06_10_Pro.jpg
WIN_20220703_07_05_37_Pro.jpg
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

It's definitely not filled, which is a poor way to convert it. It's extremely easy to just tap the old hole for whatever common size screw fits the hole, and then thread in a screw with Loctite. Cut the screw off, and file it smooth with the breech block and it's done. May need to run a bit through the CF hole if the tap gets into that new hole. But that will be easy once the Loctite sets overnight.
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/