OT Honda Ridgeline

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

OT Honda Ridgeline

Post by Scott Tschirhart »

Ok. I have always been a pickup truck or Jeep guy. But a few years ago (in connection with being poor from a divorce) I had to downsize and I drove a Honda Civic because I was driving 150 miles to and from work with weekly trips of twice that. That was the last time we had gas prices pretty high.

It was a great vehicle but not much good for deer hunting. I was impressed by the way it was put together and I put over 200,000 miles on that car before I traded it in on my current Jeep.

My current Jeep has almost 200,000 miles on it and I am thinking about getting something with a bit more room. My obvious choices have been pickups but what I want cost more than I have paid for houses.

This last weekend, I drove a Honda Ridgeline. Lots more interior room than my Jeep and I can wear my hat inside without any difficulty.

Anyone have any experience with these vehicles?
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Re: OT Honda Ridgeline

Post by Tycer »

I have a 2020 Pilot and had a 2018. Same same.
Drivetrain, infotainment etc.. I like it for the most part. I had to disable the VCM because I tow and drive/live in the mountains. https://www.svcmcontroller.com/
What do you want to know?
I will say the AWD is NOT like a GM, Ford, Toyota 4wd. It will not get you out of the same spaces. I got this info from a farmer friend with one when I was looking. He’s on his third but it’s no farm truck. He keeps a Ford for the heavy lifting.
I have had tremendous success with quirks on piloteers.org. The ridgeline forum is https://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/
Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

I rarely tow anything and my trailers are well under the stated limit for the Ridgeline. I rarely use 4x4 these days, just don't have the time.

But I would use the pickup bed and I like that it is 50 inches wide between the wheel wells so you can lay a sheet of plywood flat in the bed.

Thanks for the link. I will check it out.
Alan Wood
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Alan Wood »

Please do yourself a favor and look up the difference between all wheel drive (AWD) and 4 wheel drive. They are completely different applications with AWD being mostly suitable for snowy cities!
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

I shot a deer at 275 yds resting a friends Model 88 .243 Win over the back bed rail. So that one was good for deer hunting.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

44shooter
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 44shooter »

Probably the biggest thing to know is that the Ridgeline has unibody construction whereas other trucks have a body on frame
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

The lack of a traditional frame is their biggest weakness it seriously limits towing and load carrying capability. They also have a huge blind spot on both sides.

We tried one at work and even when we kept within the rated capacity it handled poorly, as compared to a pickup. The opinion was they are good soccer mom cars.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
Alan Wood
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Alan Wood »

After doing a little web search my impression is they are more Soccer Mom SUV's with a bed so that they don't have to worry about their super organic potting soil stinking the SUV up!
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

I'm not a big fan of Hondas, my wife is. She had a Civic that she drove for 160K before giving it to a friend, it just turned over 200K last week. She now has a Honda Odesy that I don't like either but since I don't drive any more it doesn't really matter. My nephew had a Ridgeline and the main shortcoming I saw to it was the terrible gas milage, 15 MPG if I remember.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

I don't have any experience with them, but you will be giving up substantial off road capability compared to your Jeep.
I recently bought a Jeep Gladiator Rubicon. I had a Dodge 1500 with a 5.7 Hemi. I gave up some bed space, and believe it or not, fuel mileage. However, gaining a solid axle front end, lockers, factory 33 mudders, and off road capability made it worth it. Once my Jeep is put up for the winter, I was really limited with the Dodge. It was a good truck on the road, but useless in the woods.
I've been happy with the Gladiator so far.

What I really want is about a 78 Chevy K20. But not while I'm still working. :D

Best of luck in your search.
"Oh bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round.
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

F150....crew cab
made here too
LETS GO SHOOT'N BOYS
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

RIHMFIRE wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 6:11 am F150....crew cab
made here too
Another vote for the F-150.
I'm getting 20-21 mpg on the highway with a 5.0
Jay mentioned the Gladiator above. Hard to beat a Jeep. I've had several and would really like to have another one around.

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
rossim92
Senior Levergunner

Post by rossim92 »

If i'm not mistaken, the ridglelines are unibody construction. while the other makes of pickups are body on frame. I have had them all except for the honda ridgeline. My nissan frontier has been trouble free for 30000 miles so far. mine is the 2019 model. at the time I bought mine , i paid $28,000 out the door, and that came with extended cab with v6 and 4wheel drive.
Rossi 92 .357 lever , and a cz pcr 9mm
Henry .22 lever, Remington speedmaster 552 .22 lr
Marlin Glenfield .22 boltaction
gforce 12ga semi
Taylor's Tactical 1911 A1 FS in .45acp
winchester 1873 44.40
Marlin 336W .30.30
beeman sportsman rs2 dual caliber pellet rifle
henry .22 magnum pumpaction/octagon barrel
stag 5.56 m4 with reddot
gcs
Levergunner 3.0

Post by gcs »

No experience with one, just that the "bed" seems awful small.
A lot of trappers really like the Toyota pickups, smaller, better milage, decent size bed and tremendous longevity....and they go anywhere plus a 4x4 pickup can.

Expensive too.... :?
Pisgah
Senior Levergunner

Post by Pisgah »

A friend owns a Ridgeline, and likes it. But he also says "I didn't need a real truck, so I got a Ridgeline."

His wife thinks it's "adorable"...
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Tycer »

I’ll add that our Pilot is a very comfortable road trip vehicle. Towing 4,000# is easy. We get an average of 21.5 mpg we live in the mountains. Towing is 16-17 mpg.
Kind regards,
Tycer
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

gcs wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 7:17 am No experience with one, just that the "bed" seems awful small.
A lot of trappers really like the Toyota pickups, smaller, better milage, decent size bed and tremendous longevity....and they go anywhere plus a 4x4 pickup can.

If I could get one of the Toyota trucks that they sell in other countries I would. A small and simple diesel engine....that would be perfect.
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Scott Tschirhart wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 3:24 pm
gcs wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 7:17 am No experience with one, just that the "bed" seems awful small.

If I could get one of the Toyota trucks that they sell in other countries I would. A small and simple diesel engine....that would be perfect.
Yes. The Hi-lix with a solid front axle. Those are worth having.
I had a Tacoma back in 2010. I hated that thing. Yeah, i know.....I've spoken against the Toyota gods. But I'm being honest.

Was up to the lot checking some trails with the Gladiator today.
One neat thing is the back of the seats have Molle on them. My breachers scabbard connects directly instead of having to sling them over the seat. A 94 carbine or my GSR rides really well. It is pretty well thought out overall. The entire underside is skid pans. Being a Jeep, the top and doors still come off, and the windshield folds.
It will take 35" inch tires with no modifications, and 37s with a 2" spacer lift.
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

A gladiator is not on the menu. My wifes condition makes it much harder on her to handle the jolts of a Jeep suspension these days. That's one of the reasons I am looking.
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Yeah, there is always a price to pay. Well, with a Jeep there are usually several prices! :D
Best of luck in your search sir. Let us know what you end up getting.
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

She really loves the ride of an F250 Diesel with the King Ranch trim package. But I have spent less to buy houses than that truck costs.
CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

Diesels no go, cost of fuel prohibitive right now. Grand Cherokees much cheaper right now, much cheaper than trucks. Worth looking into too. i could not afford a used truck, Grand Cherokee was much cheaper, same drive train, maybe better ride. Way cheaper! -Tutt
"It ain't dead! As long as there's ONE COWBOY taking care of ONE COW, it ain't dead!!!" (the Cowboy Way)
-Monte Walsh (Selleck version)

"These battered wings still kick up dust." -Peter Gabriel
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

Almost bought a Gladiator when I bought my 2020 Tacoma. But as my wife reminded me, I already have a better Jeep sitting in the driveway. An '82 CJ-8. So I went with the 2WD Tacoma. I don't haul heavy loads or tow heavy trailers so it's perfect for me.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
1894cfan
Senior Levergunner

Post by 1894cfan »

Don't know much about them....but I'd MUCH rather ride a Ridgeline than be caught in an Avalanche! :mrgreen:
FLINT
Levergunner 3.0

Post by FLINT »

I don't really see the appeal of the ridgeline. its like a car that tries to identify as a truck. not saying that some people don't like them, but I just don't see it. and what is that, like a 3 or 4' bed? I think the old VW rabbit pickup had a bigger bed.

I have a 96 toyota tacoma and it's an amazing truck. having said that I definitely don't like any of the newer generations of the tacoma - they just got all big and bloated. My friend just got a brand new tacoma and told me to never get rid of my first gen since even though his truck is much larger and heavier, it somehow seems flimsy and stupid. plus with all the electronics and computers and stuff, blah...

someone mentioned that some jeeps suspension is too rough for his wife. at my work, we just got a 2018 new wrangler unlimited and I've been taking that thing all over the mountains doing field work and have been blown away with how unbelievably smooth the suspension is both on and off road. definitley smoother than ANY truck I've ever been in - and most cars. I was never a huge jeep fan, but really like this jeep. not necessarily recommending this to you, just pointing out that at least this one jeep definitely does not ride rough.

if I needed to buy a new truck today I'm not sure what I'd buy. I hate most (all?) new cars. We have a 2013 Nissan Frontier at work also that is pretty nice and is smaller than the newer tacomas. maybe the newer frontiers are bigger now, I don't know, but this Frontier has been a great truck for us. It's what I took all over before we got the jeep. I guess if I needed to buy a new small truck, I'd buy an old tacoma. :)
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

The Ridgeline does have one specific market. Some states require that a pickup be registered as a commercial vehicle and you end up paying higher fees, including weight fees annually. The Ridgeline and similar vehicles, partly because they lack the traditional body on frame of a pickup are registered as passenger cars. You still get a somewhat useable bed, without the fees.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

FLINT wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 2:56 pm I don't really see the appeal of the ridgeline. its like a car that tries to identify as a truck. not saying that some people don't like them, but I just don't see it. and what is that, like a 3 or 4' bed? I think the old VW rabbit pickup had a bigger bed.
The VW Rabbit pickup did have a longer bed, but not as wide.

The Ridgeline has a 5.3 foot bed (63.6 inches) that is 50 inches wide between the wheel wells. (you can lay a 4x8 sheet of plywood flat)

Tacomas come with a 5 foot bed (60.5 inches) that is 41.5 inches wide between the wheel wells. I think you can still order a Tacoma with a 6 foot bed but that is still only 41.5 inches between the wheel wells.

By contrast the VW Rabbit pickup had a bed that was 72.24 inches long and was 41.3 inches wide.

The Ridgeline has a cargo capacity of 1583 lbs

The Tacoma has a cargo capacity of between 1115 lbs (2x4) and 1095 lbs (4x4)
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Tycer »

Scott Tschirhart wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 4:29 pm
FLINT wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 2:56 pm I don't really see the appeal of the ridgeline. its like a car that tries to identify as a truck. not saying that some people don't like them, but I just don't see it. and what is that, like a 3 or 4' bed? I think the old VW rabbit pickup had a bigger bed.
The VW Rabbit pickup did have a longer bed, but not as wide.

The Ridgeline has a 5.3 foot bed (63.6 inches) that is 50 inches wide between the wheel wells. (you can lay a 4x8 sheet of plywood flat)

Tacomas come with a 5 foot bed (60.5 inches) that is 41.5 inches wide between the wheel wells. I think you can still order a Tacoma with a 6 foot bed but that is still only 41.5 inches between the wheel wells.

By contrast the VW Rabbit pickup had a bed that was 72.24 inches long and was 41.3 inches wide.

The Ridgeline has a cargo capacity of 1583 lbs

The Tacoma has a cargo capacity of between 1115 lbs (2x4) and 1095 lbs (4x4)
My truck is an 07 Tacoma. 4cyl 4x4 5spd. 110k It’s a good truck. I have air bags. It sits at 4800# with the rack and tools. I can tow 3500# pretty easy. No fifth gear under load… I would trade it tomorrow for a ridgeline but I like not having a payment.
I’ll admit to being a Honda fanboi. Had them since the early 80s. My current toy. 1995 Honda Beat PP1-110 Version Z
99EFE1CE-C01D-41BE-B744-AB5C5EBFCF2F.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Kind regards,
Tycer
FLINT
Levergunner 3.0

Post by FLINT »

I'm sure that the ridgeline is a great vehicle. You can't go too wrong with a Honda for sure. If it checks all the boxes for you then definitely go for it.

That's crazy that a new tacoma payload capacity is only 1000 lbs. I think payload for my '96 tacoma is around 1650lbs. and my 96 is much smaller and lighter than the new ones.
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

FLINT wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 6:20 pm I'm sure that the ridgeline is a great vehicle. You can't go too wrong with a Honda for sure. If it checks all the boxes for you then definitely go for it.
Oh, I am still chewing on the idea. It is a different kind of vehicle for sure.
Walt
Senior Levergunner

Post by Walt »

I drove 2 wheel drive 4 cylinder Toyota pickups for years because of their reliability and low overall costs. I retired from my travelling sales career (43 years) several years ago. One of my first was an '87 pickup, ending up with 440K miles. The next one was a 2000 extended cab Tacoma and I wanted to see how many miles I could get out of it. I sold it with 501K miles on the odometer. I had a 2013 model for a couple of years thereafter but when I retired I bought a 2018 4 x 4, four door with all the bells and whistles. It's big, no question and the best I can do in terms of mileage is 21.5 to 22.5. I have kids in Houston and OKC and I'll admit that fuel mileage goes way down pushing 80 mph on the interstates. Otherwise I love it and wouldn't hesitate to own another Toyota pickup.