Resurrection 73

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Pat C
Levergunner 3.0

Resurrection 73

Post by Pat C »

A friend of mine inherited this old 73 from a two generation family ownership . Spent its life in pacific northwest in some fairly tough conditions.
He didn't have any intereat in fixing it ,so he passed it on to me .

As you can see its pretty tuff shape ,first thought it was nickel plated but complete teardown revealed blue and case colored.
Wood is pretty decent and most everything is there except original sights ,mag tube cap/screw.

This one met the dreaded hacksaw barrel and quite a colorful way to hold in the mag tube spring,just crush the tube .

The bore is fair ,actually good last half but chamber end is pitted and worn rifling.

My plan is to return it to proper appearance for display rifle but will at least test fire it for curiosity reasons.

As received 140 years of rust,grime, dirt,action would barely cycle .

I've got everything taken down ,cleaned and inspected.Notice the bright blue inside frame and the vivid case hardening of hammer and carrier lifter.

Plan the cut the barrel to 20" to make it a short rifle and recut tube and front sight dovetail/mag tube radial dovetail.

The original radial dovetail met the I'll date of someone driving it out straight and ruined it.
But at least cutting it back the proper appearance can be again achieved.

I keep resisting the urge to cut it to 18" a lot of short rifles had shorter friends but not all especially the 18-22" versions.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Pat C on Fri Jul 15, 2022 10:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Resurrection 73

Post by marlinman93 »

Considering there are still some guys around with parts barrels, and good original, or repro mag tubes, I would keep everything as-is, but have a new barrel and mag tube installed. Then it will not only look proper, but could be safely fired as much as you want to.
The gun has been around a long time, and it deserves to be brought back to shooting condition, and no need to do a total restoration.

https://www.winchesterbarrels.com/store ... rrels.html
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by .45colt »

I would do exactly as Marlinman suggests . that is one worth shooting again! Good Luck.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

.45colt wrote: Sun Jun 19, 2022 11:35 amI would do exactly as Marlinman suggests . that is one worth shooting again! Good Luck.
+1!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Pat C
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Pat C »

My friends cousin was 85 ,recently passed. Had been most recent owner. Supposedly his preferred maintenance was pour SAE 30 over it . Before he passed it on he said he sure hoped it could be made to work again.

Other than extreme grime and gunk it was in firing condition but carrier was froze up .

The bore is still plenty shootable after some further cleaning. The mag tube is fine except last few inches .
Thats why my plan was to make it a short rifle ,would be at least original parts.

I've got correct sights ,need to get a mag tube cap and screw.
Pat C
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Pat C »

Finished the old 73 as planned to 20" short rifle ,still need to make mortises cover spring and touch up the machined areas with some rust brown to blend.
Had to do major body work on mag tube, made a mandrel and used a polished body hammer to straighten.
Then flipped it around to use the best end.
Need to load some blackpowder rounds to test it.
Might lead lap the bore first.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Dusty Texian
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Dusty Texian »

Moving right along , I like these kind of post .,,,DT
Pat C
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Pat C »

Thanks , it was satisfying to bring it back .Probably one of dirtiest firearms I've personally worked on . Dead spiders and 140 years of crud . It was no more than a tool during its life . Mainly just a wall hanger to me but It will live again.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

I see the same thing with people rebuilding old steam engines and tractors. For whatever reason, it is very rewarding, and a tribute to the original manufacturer and designer
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

A proud lever restored!!! :D :D :D
Pat C
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Pat C »

This old rifle was given to me and considered just parts or. Plain junk. I figure it saved and fully functional again.
I don't even mind the old silver wire brush finish anymore even though that dark brown patina as evident on the buttplate would have been more authentic.
My friends cousin 85 years young left this with him under the care he could maybe make it run again.
Objective will be complete when some blackpowder is in the air again.
Pat C
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Pat C »

Duplicate delete please.
.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by .45colt »

Nice work. :D .
Pat C
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Pat C »

Thanks!
Oldncrusty
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Oldncrusty »

Awesome to see another old soldier given new life. Looking fwd to a range report.
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Most excellent!
I used to love projects like that. I have a 73 hanging on the wall that I should do. I've probably had it over 20 years. I remember buying it because it made me sad to think such a fine rifle was so neglected.
It's a special order 32-20 with a 2 inch longer than standard barrel and set trigger. The action is good and functions. I've never fired it, but the bore may still shoot without a re-line. They too, lost the magazine cap, but fashioned a home made example from thin sheet metal. The stock is salvageable, but the forend may not be. Worst is the finish. The entire rifle is lightly pitted throughout, but at least evenly applied. :D
"Oh bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round.
Pat C
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Pat C »

I like it ,looks good hanging out. Originally that's all I expected this to be was a fireplace hanger. But I feel justice has been done ,and this old rifle will live to fire anouther round.

That was the wish of my friends late cousin so I hope he is looking down and satisfied with the progress.

Did get the mortise cover spring made yesterday too.
Getting close to test fire.
Dusty Texian
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Dusty Texian »

Pat C wrote: Wed Jul 13, 2022 6:38 am I like it ,looks good hanging out. Originally that's all I expected this to be was a fireplace hanger. But I feel justice has been done ,and this old rifle will live to fire another round.

That was the wish of my friends late cousin so I hope he is looking down and satisfied with the progress.

Did get the mortise cover spring made yesterday too.
Getting close to test fire.
Pat your gonna think I am BS ing you , but the fact is I made the same spring for a 73 Winchester yesterday morning . What a coincidence ! Used a Remington 700 follower spring for stock . The rifle came to me without a Dust Cover and spring /screw . So I purchased a re- pop dust cover draw filed the machine marks off then polished it with 320 wet or dry . Soaked a paper towel in pickle juice and wrapped the bright DC in the towel and let sit over night . Next morning the towel was rusty brown , unwrapping the DC was etched and colored brown . Rinsed with water , oiled and rubbed back , maybe a little too far . Oiled it really good and installed . Looks really good and is a close match for the old brown 73 it now sits on . ,,, DT
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Nice job on the spring. Looks factory. Strangely enough, the dust cover is in perfect working order on my old crow bar. Go figure.....
I re-did a 92 one time. I started life as a 38 rifle and when I was done it was a 44SRC. Got it shooting well and shot a nice buck with it.
Did a 73 in 44 one time too. Not much work, however. Just mostly some parts swapping and a barrel dovetail to put a magazine on the bobbed 20" octagon barrel.
There is nothing more satisfying than getting a derelict old Winchester shooting again. As much as I like a clean original example, to "save" a lost cause and not be afraid to use it, is really fun.

Enjoy that 73!
Dusty Texian
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Dusty Texian »

The re pop cover artificial aged.
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Great job matching that finish!
Obviously not your first county fair. :D
Dusty Texian
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Dusty Texian »

I have a knack for making thing's old and beat up looking . Thanks .,,,DT
Pat C
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Pat C »

That aging is a secret science , I usually just use a little rust brown carded to a grey brown .
wvfarrier
Senior Levergunner

Post by wvfarrier »

Wow, What a restoration project!!!
A bondservant of our Lord, Christ Jesus