A few days in the woods...

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

A few days in the woods...

Post by 2ndovc »

Took a few days to head up to PA and just hang out. Kid#1 and the Three Amigos came along for the ride. We left the big dog at home to look after Blondie since she had to work Saturday.

Finally had a chance to try out the Ruger Wrangler I bought Quentin for Christmas. He has some difficulties figuring out complicated things due to his disability, but with the Wrangler being so easy to use, he took to it like a duck to water. The free spin cylinder made a difference I think. Once he learned how to line up the chambers to unload the empties, everything else went great. Once he gets past the mechanics of a new firearm, he's a natural. First shot, he nailed a water jug, dead center from about 25'. Three hundred rounds later, he was all smiles.

I took several guns along including the new M&P 10mm and a Colt Delta I'd bought a few days before we left. A friend knew I had been looking for one and came up with an older model that has been a little bubba'd over. The trigger has been worked over, after market guide rod and a set of those awful fiber optic sights. I know some people like them, but personally I can't stand them. For all the "cons" the pistol really shined when I put it on paper.
Dodging some rain storms, I didn't set up a bench and was shooting offhand at about 15 yards or so. The Colt ran great, and will do better after I find someone to put a BoMar set of sights on it, along with a couple other things.
Got the S&W out, plugging away and pop! No powder in my reload. RATS! That doesn't happen often, and that bullet was so stuck I couldn't get it out with the cleaning kit I had. That was disappointing.

Closing in on better loadings for the Blackhawk Convertible. The heavier 180s cut the group size down. Now to find the right combination. I really enjoy this revolver. It's just fun to shoot.

I got one of my Australian Lithgow, No. Mk IIIs out for the trip. The 200 grain LRNGC and 4198 has been a long time favorite
in my Enfields.
I've always been a better rifle shooter than pistol, but enjoy shooting my handguns even though I'm not the best at it. :D

Short hike before heading home. The deer flies were brutal!

My Buddies. :D

Just a nice time to slow down and unwind a bit.

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

Re: A few days in the woods...

Post by Scott Tschirhart »

Sounds like a good opportunity to unwind. Thanks for sharing.
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

THAT'S PRICELESS ! ! ! great times thanks for the photos
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Cool. It's nice to take a bunch of pistols instead of a bunch of rifles just because they get to be so much weight to haul around when you've got a bunch of rifles to shoot.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

Fantastic 8) :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

You sure know how to relax, mister! Love those smiles on Quentin's face. 8)
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

Thanks Guys!

Getting away from the phones, TVs and computers makes a big difference even for just a couple of days. Timed it right too, with the pounding our area took last night from a series of heavy storms, I'm going to be busy for awhile.

jb 8)

Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Sounds just about PERFECT! :mrgreen:
PriseDeFer
Levergunner 2.0

Post by PriseDeFer »

Good going Quentin, I get bored with the details too, just show me what to hit.
Nice rifle 2ndovc, lovely, lovely.
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

PriseDeFer wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 6:52 am Good going Quentin, I get bored with the details too, just show me what to hit.
Nice rifle 2ndovc, lovely, lovely.
:D

He just asked last night when we were going back up there. I have another PA claim next week, but it's going to depend on the weather. Hot and humid up there is no fun.

jb 8)

piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Hope the weather cooperates. No matter what else, those memories of time spent with you doing things which make him happy will stay with Quentin for the rest of his life.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost