Win vs Rem vs Starline brass?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
mickbr
Levergunner 3.0

Win vs Rem vs Starline brass?

Post by mickbr »

Helping out a buddy with a 44 mag project who is interested to know how these brands stack up. I heard starline is the thickest( I use starline in 357 but not sure how it compares to the others), or are they close enough a load on one should still equal a load in another. Thanks for any opinions fellas.
mickbr
Levergunner 3.0

Re: Win vs Rem vs Starline brass?

Post by mickbr »

better throw hornady into the mix as well :)
Bronco
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Bronco »

And Federal !
Gettin old ain't for sissies!
There just has to be dogs in heaven !
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

I think if you start with the low end of loading data you should be fine. You are correct that there is slightly less case capacity if the branch is thicker though.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

In certain cartridges that "Starline is the thickest" might be true, but across the board? I'm not so sure. I use a lot of 45 Colt and don't find a hill of beans difference across nearly all the manufacturers. My advice to anyone loading with new (different), components is to start in the middle of the data and work up until you find the best accuracy...
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

Potaytows, patahtows...

All good brass.
I just recently loaded and fired several hundred 44 magnum rounds out of Starline and Magtech brass. Don't know who makes the Magtech.
Only issue I had was 2 (out of 250) cases of the Starline had dings on the mouth that made me work a little bit.
"Make yourself an honest man, and then you may be sure that there is one less scoundrel in the world." - Thomas Carlyle
CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

I'm with Griff, I don't think your going to see any significant difference for most pistol cartridges between manufacturers. There is one way to check water capacity that is pretty easy to do if you have a digital scale.

1. Weigh an empty case and write it down.
2. Zero the scale with the case on it.
3. Fill the case with water until you get a level meniscus on top. Tap the cartridge on a hard surface a few times to release any air bubbles which often happens.
4. Top the case off with water again to a level meniscus.
5. Weigh the case with water and write it down.
6. Subtract the empty case weight from the filled case weight.
7. That is your capacity of water in that case.

You might want to weigh a few empty cases as well just to see how consistent the numbers are ahead of time. I don't think any of the brands listed are going to be
world class in consistency. If only Norma or Lapua or Peterson made pistol brass, that would be something different altogether. Probably not needed until you get up into rifle pressure pistol cartridges like the 454 Casull , 460 or 500 S&W.

Regards my friends,

-Tutt
Last edited by CowboyTutt on Tue Jun 14, 2022 6:03 pm, edited 3 times in total.
"It ain't dead! As long as there's ONE COWBOY taking care of ONE COW, it ain't dead!!!" (the Cowboy Way)
-Monte Walsh (Selleck version)

"These battered wings still kick up dust." -Peter Gabriel
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Scott Tschirhart »

All my pistol and revolver reloading is with mixed brass.
crs
Advanced Levergunner

Post by crs »

Been using Starline for .405 WCF and .458 .45-90 for some time with no problems.
CRS, NRA Benefactor Member, TSRA, DRSS, DWWC, Whittington Center
Android Ballistics App at http://www.xplat.net/
longhair1957
Levergunner 2.0

Post by longhair1957 »

Starline is my favorite in handgun brass. When I can’t get It, I look to WINCHESTER.
But, I do just mix them when I load.

I weigh every round after loaded. I’ve found brands can be as much as a couple grains diff in weight.

But, especially in these days. I’ll take whichever I can find.
Walt
Senior Levergunner

Post by Walt »

I don't think there's any doubt that John Linebaugh is an authority on high pressures in handguns and therefore brass as well. In his writings he considers Starline and Federal to be the strongest brass on the market. Winchester is a bit down his list and Remington is below that. There's unquestionably a difference between the brass requirements of low pressure loads and those running ultra-high but that's his stated assessment of brass and what he recommends for his customers.