Interesting on Folding-Stock AR-15's

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Interesting on Folding-Stock AR-15's

Post by AJMD429 »

I didn't know so many companies made adapters.

https://www.pewpewtactical.com/best-folding-ar-15/
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Ysabel Kid

Re: Interesting on Folding-Stock AR-15's

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Before I had not lost my AR-15 in a boating accident - along with any other gun I may or may not have owned - I purchased one of these adapters from "Classic Arms". Works flawlessly, and really makes an AR-15 pistol even more compact for transport. Now, on a "regular" AR you cannot fire the firearm with the stock folded, given where the buffer ends up. But it makes packing it a breeze. :D
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

The LAW Tactical one I've used in 223 rifle and carbine and 330 Blk carbine and pistol, all flawlessly.

You can fire one round if you have a round chambered when the stock is folded but the action won't cycle so you would have to manually cycle it once you unfolded it. I actually thought about putting it on my AR-10 because AR-10s are so ungainly, compared to the M1A Scout rifle I have and it might at least make the AR-10 halfway compact for transport. As it is it seems like it needs a rack on top of the vehicle... :D
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

I have a brand new folder adapter sitting on my desk that wont fit my Anderson AR15. The threads for some reason don't match, so it's useless. I tried doing some reading about threads on the stocks, and seems there are two different threads made. Whichever I have fits any stock I've tried, but doesn't fit this folding adapter.
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

marlinman93 wrote: Fri Jun 10, 2022 8:25 am I have a brand new folder adapter sitting on my desk that wont fit my Anderson AR15. The threads for some reason don't match, so it's useless. I tried doing some reading about threads on the stocks, and seems there are two different threads made. Whichever I have fits any stock I've tried, but doesn't fit this folding adapter.
I think there are 'mil-spec' and 'other' thread diameters or tube diameters for the buffer tube...?

marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

AJMD429 wrote: Fri Jun 10, 2022 8:31 am
marlinman93 wrote: Fri Jun 10, 2022 8:25 am I have a brand new folder adapter sitting on my desk that wont fit my Anderson AR15. The threads for some reason don't match, so it's useless. I tried doing some reading about threads on the stocks, and seems there are two different threads made. Whichever I have fits any stock I've tried, but doesn't fit this folding adapter.
I think there are 'mil-spec' and 'other' thread diameters or tube diameters for the buffer tube...?
Yes, once i bought this adapter and it didn't fit I did some research, and found there were two threads. My Anderson is the common milspec, and it accepts any stock I've tried. I think the "sale" adapter I got isn't, so it starts on, but binds up in just a turn or two.
I've contemplated looking for a milspec tap if they're available, to see if I could run it in this adapter and make it usable. But the issue is figuring out which I have? The searches bring up these two:

1.250"-18 tpi - Corrects out of spec or cross-threaded upper receivers and barrel nuts. 1-3/16"-16 tpi

Not sure how a 16 tpi can clean up an 18 tpi? Seems like it would ruin the threads and make it unusable?
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

there is an epoxy kit designed to repair bolt holes in engines. for example a hole reamed out by tap and then cross threaded. the epoxy will set up hard enough to make the original bolt fit. example, rocker cover on BMW airhead engine. could this work for your part, you use it to form the threads
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

Grizz wrote: Sat Jun 11, 2022 9:52 am there is an epoxy kit designed to repair bolt holes in engines. for example a hole reamed out by tap and then cross threaded. the epoxy will set up hard enough to make the original bolt fit. example, rocker cover on BMW airhead engine. could this work for your part, you use it to form the threads
Since it wont thread on now I can't fix threads that wont fit at all. If they were sloppy I think this would be the cure. But I'd have to ruin the threads first in order to allow the adapter to go on, and then fix them.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

marlinman93 wrote: Sun Jun 12, 2022 9:02 am
Grizz wrote: Sat Jun 11, 2022 9:52 am there is an epoxy kit designed to repair bolt holes in engines. for example a hole reamed out by tap and then cross threaded. the epoxy will set up hard enough to make the original bolt fit. example, rocker cover on BMW airhead engine. could this work for your part, you use it to form the threads
Since it wont thread on now I can't fix threads that wont fit at all. If they were sloppy I think this would be the cure. But I'd have to ruin the threads first in order to allow the adapter to go on, and then fix them.
Is it the lower-to-adapter ones or the adapter-to-buffer tube ones that is the issue, or both ..?

Cuz a new buffer tube is very inexpensive.
A new stripped lower is also fairly inexpensive, although it constitutes a 'gun' paperwork-wise.

So you could probably spend way less than the cost of the adapter by just replacing one or both of those parts with ones matching your adapter. You'd have a 'nonstandard' assembly that wouldn't interchange those two parts with any other AR-15's you haven't yet lost in a boating accident, but it wouldn't really matter as it would be your dedicated 'folder' gun. You'd get a chance to see how you like the concept and if you wanted to ever order another just get it with the other thread specs so it would fit your other guns.

If you don't wind up liking it you could sell it off WITH the lower and tube for a reasonable price and not have to be selling a jerry-rigged re-threaded thing, so someone could use it and have confidence in it and would buy for a solid price I'd think.

The only real downside is moving all your lower parts to the new stripped lower, although the parts kits are pretty inexpensive as well, so you could just put new pins and springs on the new lower. Same for a generic grip, but if you have a fancy one you can move that in two minutes with an Allen wrench or screwdriver. The upside is that it is ALWAYS nice to have extra parts anyway, especially with AR's.

marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

Since my stock fits my receiver, it's not fitting either. It of course has the same female threads to accept the stock, and it came with a male threaded bushing to mount it to the receiver once the buffer tube/stock is removed. So it's a bad fit on both parts of the adapter; male and female.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

marlinman93 wrote: Mon Jun 13, 2022 3:37 pm Since my stock fits my receiver, it's not fitting either. It of course has the same female threads to accept the stock, and it came with a male threaded bushing to mount it to the receiver once the buffer tube/stock is removed. So it's a bad fit on both parts of the adapter; male and female.
In that case, and given the times we are living in, my inclination would be to buy a stripped lower and buffer tube to fit the folding adapter you have. Parting it out would either be a modest expense if you just put new parts in it, for a modest hassle if you took your existing parts out of the other lower to install in the new one. I think I would favor the former option just because at this point it seems like a good idea for everyone to have plenty of extra parts anyway.

Once you get a feel for whether you like it or not, you can then decide whether to keep it, at which point you just have to decide what upper you want it to go with and what kind of grip and stock and so forth to put on it, or, if you decide not to keep it, you can sell the buffer tube, folding adapter, and lower (with whatever amount of parts you care to include with the lower). Some nice it more or less is its own entity as far as being a lower with a folding stock, interchangeability of parts really shouldn't be an issue if you keep it, or to a buyer if you decide to sell it.

If you do set it up to shoot, let us know how you like it. I'm sure lots of other folks on the forum have been considering adapters like that, but since they aren't terribly cheap, hearing from someone who has tried one can make it a lot easier to part with the amount of money involved.

marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

Not going through all that work and expense just to have a folding stock and use this adapter! I'll probably just put it on the table at one of our gun shows and try to get some money out of it. Then buy one that's correct for my AR15 instead. A lot less hassle.
cas
Senior Levergunner

Post by cas »

This is several days old now but.... mil-spec or commercial tube doesn't matter they should both thread into the lower without issue. Mil-spec and commercial only comes into play with the stock you put on it.

I had a Law folder, ever so briefly. I think I listed it for sale a day or two later. With the grips I like to use, and my larger hands, I suspected the hinge on it and my thumb knuckle would not like each other, and I was right.
Slow is just slow.