MBW 270SAA loading

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

MBW 270SAA loading

Post by Scott Tschirhart »

Montana Bullet Works makes this beautiful 270SAA bullet. It shoots great, but it is really soft. (bhn 15). I order this bullet sized to .454 diameter and it shoots well in everything.

I've shot this bullet through a full sized cow and it did the job. It also feeds through my older Rossi 92.

Being soft though, it is problematic to load on the Dillon. The bullet will seat just fine at times, and at other times it shaves the nose and you know that bullet won't shoot worth a hoot. Look at the nose of the loaded round on the left and you can see how much the bullet is deformed.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Scott Tschirhart on Tue Jun 07, 2022 8:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

Re: MBW 270SAA loading

So I went online looking for a solution. I found one.

Uniquetek.com has a whole section on Dillon upgrades.

I found a powder funnel that lets me seat these bullets with so little effort it doesn't mess them up at all. This funnel is made to seat .452 diameter bullets in .45 ACP cases without deforming them or scraping off a coating.

I recieved the package tonight and tried the funnel. Bullets go in straight and uniform. I just loaded a batch and did not lose a single bullet.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

This bullet is absolutely gorgeous.
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

This is one that I shot through a large cow.
AmBraCol
Webservant

Post by AmBraCol »

I may have to end up ordering some of those. I've been looking for one of the SAA 270 molds for some time and haven't managed to locate any. Now I find myself seriously short of cast 45 bullets of ANY description, nor did I locate the Keith mold I thought I had. Soft is fine with me, not too hard to deal with with a single stage press! :lol:
Paul - in Pereira

"He is the best friend of American liberty who is most sincere and active in promoting true and undefiled religion." -- John Witherspoon

http://www.paulmoreland.com
http://www.pistolpackingpreachers.us
http://www.precisionandina.com
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

I wouldn't have looked at the expander/funnel for a damaged bullet during seating... I would've been looking at the seating plug. I do have a pretty fair selection of plugs, including one perfectly set for wide meplats.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

That's cool.

I have the micro-adjust powder bar UniqueTek sells for the Dillon.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

Griff wrote: Tue Jun 07, 2022 9:56 pm I wouldn't have looked at the expander/funnel for a damaged bullet during seating... I would've been looking at the seating plug. I do have a pretty fair selection of plugs, including one perfectly set for wide meplats.
I actually tried that first. I used a seating stem that only touched the shoulder. In fact the bullet to the left was damaged by that stem.
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

AmBraCol wrote: Tue Jun 07, 2022 9:43 pm I may have to end up ordering some of those. I've been looking for one of the SAA 270 molds for some time and haven't managed to locate any. Now I find myself seriously short of cast 45 bullets of ANY description, nor did I locate the Keith mold I thought I had. Soft is fine with me, not too hard to deal with with a single stage press! :lol:
I want my bullet as soft as I can get away with. Sometimes a hard cast bullet is the answer, but I don’t think I need massive penetration. Besides, if a soft bullet will shoot through a cow, what more could I want?
Sarge
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Sarge »

Scott Tschirhart wrote: Wed Jun 08, 2022 7:45 am
AmBraCol wrote: Tue Jun 07, 2022 9:43 pm I may have to end up ordering some of those. I've been looking for one of the SAA 270 molds for some time and haven't managed to locate any. Now I find myself seriously short of cast 45 bullets of ANY description, nor did I locate the Keith mold I thought I had. Soft is fine with me, not too hard to deal with with a single stage press! :lol:
I want my bullet as soft as I can get away with. Sometimes a hard cast bullet is the answer, but I don’t think I need massive penetration. Besides, if a soft bullet will shoot through a cow, what more could I want?
This place is an island of sanity in a sea of stupid. If that ain't the sweet spot, it doesn't exist.
People were smarter before the Internet, or imbeciles were harder to notice.
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

Sarge, you nailed that one right n the head.

I've picked up a lot of knowledge about the .45 Colt from Scott, Jim and the others. I've always had one or two around, but haven't spent a lot of time with them. Same goes for the .44 Spl, my go to handguns have been .45ACP/ .44 Magnum for a long time.

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

Jim has forgotten more than I will ever know.

However, all of my favorite cartrigdes are similar in that they accurately send a lead bullet at 800-1000 fps from a handgun that is easily worn all day.
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Scott Tschirhart wrote: Wed Jun 08, 2022 8:52 am Jim has forgotten more than I will ever know.

However, all of my favorite cartrigdes are similar in that they accurately send a lead bullet at 800-1000 fps from a handgun that is easily worn all day.
That is probably as good of a set of criteria as there is. Other than places where large bears are known to frequent, a .45 caliber lead slug in the 250 to 270 grain range moving somewhere between 800 and 1000 fps will solve most problems with a minimum of fuss. Not every problem needs to be solved by obliteration.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Scott Tschirhart wrote: Wed Jun 08, 2022 7:40 am
Griff wrote: Tue Jun 07, 2022 9:56 pmI wouldn't have looked at the expander/funnel for a damaged bullet during seating... I would've been looking at the seating plug. I do have a pretty fair selection of plugs, including one perfectly set for wide meplats.
I actually tried that first. I used a seating stem that only touched the shoulder. In fact the bullet to the left was damaged by that stem.
LOL... Yeah, I've ruined a lot of bullets in trying to either try different seating stem or modifying one to work... It ain't much of a problem when all I have to do is toss the damaged one back in the pot!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
samsi
Levergunner 2.0

Post by samsi »

I had a similar issue with the 240SNK bullet from Matt's, and like Griff I went for the seating stem first. Guess I need to look at the case flare next time instead, who knew? Between this thread and the Murbach SAA shoots left thread there are some good discussions going on currently.

I do find it a bit ironic that we spend a lot of time discussing sixguns on this here leverguns forum. :D
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

Lyman had an "M" rifle neck expander die that really helped when loading cast or square based bullets.

This is sort of like that for a specific pistol/revolver application.

I'll do some testing this weekend to see if it affects how these loads shoot.
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

samsi wrote: Wed Jun 08, 2022 6:36 pm I do find it a bit ironic that we spend a lot of time discussing sixguns on this here leverguns forum. :D
They do go together like bees and honey.
Walt
Senior Levergunner

Post by Walt »

I have an RCBS 270 grain SAA mold which casts some beautiful bullets. Old Elmer would have liked them because the grease groove is flat-bottomed and large enough to hold plenty of lube and the bands are in fact .10" wide and evenly spaced and of full diameter. I load on a Dillon 550 and normally use a Lee factory crimp die as the last step. The front band of the bullet, however catches on the die upon entry and often seats the bullet deeper than is intended. So, I remove the crimp die when I'm loading this particular bullet and reset my seating die so that it crimps as it seats and the problem is resolved. The loaded cartridges turn out beautifully.
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

The change in the expander plug made all the difference in the world. Now these bullets seat easily without distortion and I havent shaved one since I installed it.

I set the machine up to do my semi-annual bulk loading of .45 ACP and I am experiencing the same thing. Those H&G 68s go in almost too easy!
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

Follow up.

I'm really happy with the results of my .45 Colt experiments (though I do need to do something about getting Terry's gun shooting to the sights). I feel like the load I am using is far more effective than the paper numbers would indicate.

Pulling up an excellent article from the June-July 2019 Handloader Magazine on .45 Colt Standard Pressure Loads by our friend Brian Pearce, I found this passage that might explain things: