Boge on the Ruger Marlin 45-70 Trapper!

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Boge on the Ruger Marlin 45-70 Trapper!

Post by CowboyTutt »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mvMMVP0Lf2Y

Boge has gotten as good or maybe even better than Jeff on his Gun Blast reviews and this is just another fine example of a very thorough review on his part. Honestly, I am suspecting that the action on the Ruger Marlin is superior to the Big Horn Armory guns at less asking price and with more features. The Ruger Marlins have a chrome finish on the bolt for smoothness, and they fluted the bolt as well. They used a cold hammer-forged barrel, which is about as good as it gets, and in another quietly missed piece of information, they used (or maybe still used) a 1:20 right hand twist on the barrel, so you can run some very heavy bullets in this rifle. Also, factory Skinner Sights? Wow. Kudos to Ruger for really stepping up and providing us with probably the finest quality Marlin's ever made. Regards, -Tutt
"It ain't dead! As long as there's ONE COWBOY taking care of ONE COW, it ain't dead!!!" (the Cowboy Way)
-Monte Walsh (Selleck version)

"These battered wings still kick up dust." -Peter Gabriel
.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Boge on the Ruger Marlin 45-70 Trapper!

Post by .45colt »

Yep That's a Good Video Tutt . If Ruger makes them right one gun at a time. they will win the public over. :D
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Scott Tschirhart »

I loved and miss Jeff. But I’m really happy that Boge is continuing this. I feel the same way about him. Great guys. This photo was taken at Gunsite a few years back.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Scott Tschirhart on Wed Jun 08, 2022 12:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

Looking forward to getting my hands on one. Boge is a super nice guy, he bought one of those "Dreaded Rossi's" from me years ago. I doubt he would remember, but had a very nice conversation.

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Looks good. Henry better keep their quality control on their toes or Ruger will take business away from them.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
TraderVic
Levergunner 3.0

Post by TraderVic »

Happened to browse the current issue of Rifle magazine, Brian Pearce authors quite an evaluation of the new Marlin/Ruger "RM" 1895 45/70. He speaks highly of the quality of Ruger's oversight on this production.
TraderVic
Levergunner 3.0

Post by TraderVic »

It sounds like Marlin will be bringing out a full line of past offerings, including the octagon barreled cowboy models.
I wonder if they'll bring back the 308 mx and 338 mx models ?
CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

Scott Tschirhart wrote: Tue Jun 07, 2022 9:06 pm I loved and miss Jeff. But I’m really happy that Boge is continuing this. I feel the same way about him. Great guys. This photo was taken at Gunsite a few years back.
Scott, I agree that Boge has done an exceptional job of preserving GunBlast.com. Some slight differences between the two brothers. Only small ones. 1) Jeff tended to include more handloaded data than Boge, no big deal, and probably legally safer. The other thing that Jeff did was "Jeff-isims". Jeff just had a way of saying things at times that was just so amusing, if not hysterical. Case in point on this article and video was when Jeff says, "The rifle does "back up a bit" when the trigger is pressed, but the recoil is straight-back, and doesn’t slap the shooter’s cheek at all." Sorry, but the statement the "rifle does back up a bit" just cracked me up! He always said such amusing things in his reviews.

https://gunblast.com/BigHorn-AR500.htm

And Jeff's legendary comments about "social work" still crack me up until this day. Jeff was also a pivotal member of the Shootists board and did good work there from what I have heard. So he is missed, but Boge is doing great work still at Gun Blast and preserving the Gun Blast legacy. I am not sure he is on the board there, but he probably is and should be.

Regards,

-Tutt
"It ain't dead! As long as there's ONE COWBOY taking care of ONE COW, it ain't dead!!!" (the Cowboy Way)
-Monte Walsh (Selleck version)

"These battered wings still kick up dust." -Peter Gabriel