D-Day

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Blaine
Posting leader...

D-Day

Post by Blaine »

Never forget.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
1894cfan
Senior Levergunner

Re: D-Day

Post by 1894cfan »

Yup!
If you have the time a good day to watch The Longest Day, the first half hour or so of Saving Private Ryan and Band Of Brothers, the section covering D-Day! Disc 2 I think.

I never knew him, but got a cousin that was shot in the head on Iwo Jima! :( Japanese sure could shoot! Got that info from his brother who served in the Navy back then and saw the body before it was buried. :shock:
Last edited by 1894cfan on Mon Jun 06, 2022 9:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

an uncle I never met was killed right there, right then. I doubt there are many families living today who have not experienced war losses to some extent. It's inexpressible sorrow. Honor is due.
Ray Newman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ray Newman »

My godfather, landed in the gliders night of 6/5-6/'44. He was later wounded and sheltered by a Dutch family during subsequent fighting in the Netherlands. Ne never spoke about any of his military experiences.
The most important aspect of this signature line is that you don't realize it doesn't say anything significant until you are just about done reading it & then it is too late to stop reading it....
Grand Poo Bah WA F.E.S.

In real life may you be the bad butt that you claim to be on social media.
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

D+ 27,612

Not many of them left, but the debt they are owed is immeasurable.
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

To all those that gave the ultimate sacrifice and all those that survived intact or otherwise we owe more than we can ever repay..........Lest we forget.
If more men loved and cherished their wives as much as I love bacon the world would be a much better place.
gcs
Levergunner 3.0

Post by gcs »

My daughter was there yesterday, part of a Fulbright scholar tour. Witnessed the laying of wreaths and TAPS, said it was an amazing place.
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

Apparently the civian government of the US has forgotten. I didn't see any representatives from the Biden Whitehouse, much less Biden himself in attendance. To most in the civilian government, deceased soldiers, sailors, airmen, marines and coast guardsmen simply aren't important because they can no longer vote.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Too bad so many of today's Snowflake Generation just don't understand complilcated things like "history", and have been so spoiled that they don't understand sophisticated things like "freedom".

I hope movies like mentioned above at least convey SOME of the gravity of those events to the few young people who will bother to watch them. From the feedback I get from real soldiers who have been in real battles, and even a couple who were at Normandy, Saving Private Ryan did a pretty good job of showing the literal bloodbath those mostly-teenage kids were expected to charge in to.

Here's an interesting photo(shopped) image I came across...
D-Day Time Lapse Photo.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

My uncle was there, first wave, Omaha beach, with the 29th ID. He survived, and only passed away in October, 2020, and the ripe old age of 96. Many of his friends didn't make it off that beach.