Wing-protected aperture sight on my Rossi Model 92

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Naphtali
Levergunner 2.0

Wing-protected aperture sight on my Rossi Model 92

Post by Naphtali »

I want to install a steel wing-protected aperture sight on my Rossi Model 92 and mount the sight on the extreme rear of the bolt where a Steve's Gunz plug replacement for the safety is placed. There is not much "free bolt space" at this spot on which to drill and tap at safety plug for a sight. The specific sight I think might be small enough to fit is one of the variations of the M1 carbine aperture sight, whose mounting screws would be along the bolt and not across it.

I've never owned M1 carbine or known any of my friends to have owned one. Those of you who have access to an M1 carbine or its sight base. Will this sight fit the area? If it will, a machined steel reproduction is currently made in the United States at a price that makes it an attractive solution.
Last edited by Naphtali on Sun Jun 05, 2022 11:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
It's so simple to be wise. Just think of something stupid to say and then don't say it. Sam Levinson
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Re: Wing-protected aperture sight on my Rossi Model 97

Post by AJMD429 »

I'm guessing typo and you mean 'Model 92' since the 97 is a revolver.

I'm guessing also an M1 Carbines owner will come along with an answer. I have never owned an M1 Carbine so have no clue.

However if it turns out not to be doable, I've had nice results installing the Williams FP on the Rossi leverguns. I sight in with the aperture screwed in but leave it out for most shooting: with my vision I can shoot almost as well without it and get the sight picture much faster. The FP sight straddles the bolt so you tap the left receiver side vs the bolt, but it is still not a 'bulky' sight.

Here is one on a Marlin 1984:
Screenshot_20220605-101720-210.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Naphtali
Levergunner 2.0

Re: Wing-protected aperture sight on my Rossi Model 92

Post by Naphtali »

You are correct about my multiple typographical error. I corrected Rossi Model 97 to Rossi Model 92 twice.
It's so simple to be wise. Just think of something stupid to say and then don't say it. Sam Levinson
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

I knew someone who put dovetails in the back of the bolt on a couple of leverguns. I forget what the back sight was, but a receiver sight could be good there. beautiful setup
Bruce Scott
Senior Levergunner

Post by Bruce Scott »

Since you mention screw mounting I'm wondering if you're thinking of the M1 carbine style sights for the Ruger 10/22 rather than the actual M1 Carbine sight, which is dovetail mounted.

Eabco 10/22 M1 Carbine Sight:
https://www.eabco.net/M1-Carbine-1022-S ... 16026.html

There's also this from Tech Sights:
https://www.tech-sights.com/product/rug ... ts-tsr200/

Dovetail mounted M1 Carbine sight:
Last edited by Bruce Scott on Mon Jun 06, 2022 7:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

Might be something here you can use, maybe not exactly what you want but very adjustable. Steve of Steve's Guns makes a peep that goes where the safety goes, not sure how adjustable it is though.

http://skinnersights.com/index.html

-Tutt
"It ain't dead! As long as there's ONE COWBOY taking care of ONE COW, it ain't dead!!!" (the Cowboy Way)
-Monte Walsh (Selleck version)

"These battered wings still kick up dust." -Peter Gabriel
rossim92
Senior Levergunner

Post by rossim92 »

CowboyTutt wrote: Mon Jun 06, 2022 6:55 pm Might be something here you can use, maybe not exactly what you want but very adjustable. Steve of Steve's Guns makes a peep that goes where the safety goes, not sure how adjustable it is though.

http://skinnersights.com/index.html

-Tutt
I have one from steve on mine, it's works great, and installation is a breeze. not a whole lot of adjustment, but gets the job done.
Rossi 92 .357 lever , and a cz pcr 9mm
Henry .22 lever, Remington speedmaster 552 .22 lr
Marlin Glenfield .22 boltaction
gforce 12ga semi
Taylor's Tactical 1911 A1 FS in .45acp
winchester 1873 44.40
Marlin 336W .30.30
beeman sportsman rs2 dual caliber pellet rifle
henry .22 magnum pumpaction/octagon barrel
stag 5.56 m4 with reddot