Some interesting cast bullet offerings

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Some interesting cast bullet offerings

Post by Bill in Oregon »

I just ran across this guy's site. He sure makes some beautiful and purposeful bullets!
Anyone tried his slugs?

https://www.bengalbullets.com/
piller
Posting leader...

Re: Some interesting cast bullet offerings

Post by piller »

Hadn't heard of that maker. Looks like they would hit with a serious slap.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Scott Tschirhart »

I need to try coated bullets one day.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

These look like they'd be fun launched from my BHA-89 Levergun (500 S&W).
Screenshot_20220603-220532-304.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

Doc, for short range, and hunting, they will do fine. And the penetration will be outstanding. But for long range use, the WFNGC simply doesn't work from what I know.

-Tutt
"It ain't dead! As long as there's ONE COWBOY taking care of ONE COW, it ain't dead!!!" (the Cowboy Way)
-Monte Walsh (Selleck version)

"These battered wings still kick up dust." -Peter Gabriel
CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

I just placed an order with them for the .416 bullet. Hope they can deliver, little bit worried because of some anomalies with the website. -Tutt
"It ain't dead! As long as there's ONE COWBOY taking care of ONE COW, it ain't dead!!!" (the Cowboy Way)

CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

They posted a shipping email to me today, including the 250 400 grain cast lead bullets in .416 caliber, and in a separate order, their Universal Big Bore Expanding die.

So I guess they are still in business and fulfilling orders. There was no response to my placement of an order, but the shipping and completion of the order was very quick and glad to know they are still honoring orders. Hard to find anyone who can make 250 coated 400 grain bullets in such a short time. Glad to know!

Will advise when the bullets and die arrive!

Thanks for the heads up from the OP.

Regards,

Tutt

CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

The bullets and die did arrive. Very impressed by both. The bullets are a glossy purple black color with a copper gas check. Very attractive. The LFN profile may even work
for long range target shooting. I'm so impressed I ordered another 250 of them and already received a confirmation email. Sadly, I am still awaiting on my custom rifle in 416/284 McPherson. At least the reamers finally came in. I think we are waiting on the boron nitrate treated internals and the custom stock for the '88 Win. -Tutt

piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Was Nitrate cheaper than Day rate?
D. Brian Casady
CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

LOL :lol:

http://www.mahovskysmetalife.com/

His nickel boron plating. Its super slick. -Tutt

piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Sounds like it will work.
D. Brian Casady
wvfarrier
Senior Levergunner

Post by wvfarrier »

CowboyTutt wrote: Sat Jun 18, 2022 12:34 pm LOL :lol:

http://www.mahovskysmetalife.com/

His nickel boron plating. Its super slick. -Tutt
Ive called and emailed that fella at least a dozen times to ask about some plating work and never once got a response.
A bondservant of our Lord, Christ Jesus
CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

I went through Jason at Aria Ballistic Engineering who has a long working relationship with them, but we are also still awaiting my parts. Everything is jammed up right now. ABE has stopped taking custom work and Gary Reeder is not taking any new work either. I didn't get a response from Jeff Ault at Sixgun Magic, and Munden was the one who tuned my gun! At least Bengal Bullets has come through! I think gunsmithing has pretty much shut down some time ago due to COVID, lack of supplies/materials, lack of workers. I had originally planned on NP3 plating, but after Robar collapsed, and no other reliable NP3 plating companies out there, I went with Jason's recommendation for Metalife. As I said, even he has not gotten my parts back in a long time. And I don't believe we have the custom stock from his stock maker yet either. -Tutt

Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Tutt, I hope those bullets shoot really well for you. Eager to hear a range report once you are up and running.
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

MBW had a batch of 230 gr round nose machine cast bullets that they applied their coating to. I included some in my last order. I think I'll load them into some .45 Auto Rim brass as an experiment.

Like I need another experiment.
CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

Like I need another experiment.

Laughed my a*se off on that one, know the feeling! More things to try and report back, maybe after I have moved and set up new reloading bench?

-Tutt

Walt
Senior Levergunner

Post by Walt »

Early this year I ordered several bullet molds from Accurate Mold Company and I have been very pleased with them. The company has hundreds of mold designs stored in their CNC machine but customers can also submit their own designs. The molds are available in iron, aluminum and brass and I chose aluminum although 90% of my molds from Lyman and RCBS are of iron. It's interesting that they show outlines and dimensions of their molds as well as the number of orders they've received for each mold type. They also indicate whether a particular mold is a copy of another well-known mold like Lyman's 358156, etc. I raised my casting temperature a bit for the aluminum and they take very little break-in time. Their delivery time,in my experience is about a week from order date to delivery by USPS.
One of my favorites of the Accurate Mold offerings is their plain, square base 300 grain bullet in .452 diameter for my Ruger and Smith .45 Colts. Over 12.5 grains of HS-6 it flies at 1,000 fps and is an accurate, very pleasant round to shoot. I firelapped all my big bore revolvers, consequently there is no leading.
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

Thanks Walt!

I really prefer a plain based bullet.
Walt
Senior Levergunner

Post by Walt »

Our son lives in Conroe, just north of Houston. He has a co-worker who has a deer management farm and he exerts himself to maximize the benefits of his property to the welfare of the deer. There is a large population of feral pigs which partake of the feeders meant for the deer. Therefore the owner is happy to reduce the pig population at every opportunity. My son goes out to the farm when the temperature and humidity levels in that area are tolerable and shoots pigs. Pigs are intelligent so they approach the deer feeders mostly after dark. Their feeding habits are recorded on numerous game cameras set up around the property which link directly to the owner's, and our son's phones.
Our son experimented with a number of firearms to figure out what worked best under the poor light conditions and for a time used a 4" Ruger Redhawk in .45 Colt/.45 ACP for which I loaded him some 300 grain bullets from a Lyman 454629 mold meant for the FA 454 Casull. That mold was and maybe continues to be a proprietary mold sold only by Freedom Arms. The bullets were loaded in .45 Colt brass over 21.5 grains of H110 which clocked out at about 1100 fps. He has a reflex sight on the Ruger which worked fairly well especially when he attached a dim green light to the feeder he was working.
One night he crawled up to about 25 yards of a group of feeding pigs and shot, only to find he had killed two of them with one shot. The bullet exited both of them and whistled off into the night. Those heavy bullets and moderate velocities are a combination that penetrates like crazy.
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

Walt wrote: Mon Jun 20, 2022 3:54 pm Our son lives in Conroe, just north of Houston. . . . .

Those heavy bullets and moderate velocities are a combination that penetrates like crazy.
I did a lot of hunting in that area when I was with Houston PD and there wasn't so much of it paved over! That was in the 1980s. I shot deer in those days mostly with a longbow, but I found that my duty load in the Government Model did really well even though it was probably less than 900 fps. Always had holes going in and out.

We did not see wild pigs in those days.
CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

Just a heads-up but I received a text from James at Bengal Bullets yesterday. His first order arrived in a very timely manner, and he was working on my second order, I was so impressed with these bullets although not fired yet. But strike me as being well designed for their intended purpose, and some of the most beautiful lead bullets you have ever seen. He texted me yesterday to say he came down with COVID around July 4th, and he has been flat on his back since then. One of the very worst illnesses he has ever experienced. He is maybe as of yesterday starting to feel better finally. He offered me another 50 free bullets for the delay, but I offered to pay him something extra for them. Honorable man, great company, highly recommend, maybe wait a few weeks to place an order though. -Tutt

stretch
Advanced Levergunner

Post by stretch »

I might have to acquire a Ruger SA in 357 to try that 172 gr. offering.

THAT would have impressive terminal ballistics on game!

-Stretch
Rimfire McNutjob
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rimfire McNutjob »

The stuff he lists in .458" is a bit heavy for me. Nothing 350 - 450gr. Still, I'll keep an eye on his site.
... I love poetry, long walks on the beach, and poking dead things with a stick.
CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

Rhimfire, glad to see you here, I think James at Bengal is into very heavyweight WFN bullets as a rule at short range terminal ballistics, but some of his LFNGC bullets might also have some use for me for target shooting, and certainly less expensive than the other .416 caliber bullets for my 416/284 project, if and when it is completed. Actually, his .311 247 grain, LFNGC design might work in my "Project 303 Brit" as I'm still waiting on my custom bullet moulder to make it for me. He has also been ill. So everything is just so "jacked up" right now! Nothing I can about it but be patient. Regards my friend,
-Tutt

piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Not wanting a thread drift, but yes, things are a bit jacked up right now. Hope these bullet makers stay healthy after this. Quality work by good people is still needed.
D. Brian Casady
Walt
Senior Levergunner

Post by Walt »

My casting setup. I made a cart many years ago, fitted with casters so that I can roll it out of the way without the hot lead splashing. The furnace and the heat sink are on a wooden box containing a squirrel cage fan which blows across the top surface of the heat sink as well as through the fins underneath. I normally cast with two molds and they cool off so quickly on the heat sink that I can cast as fast as I want without my bullets "frosting". From there they go into a pail of water containing a couple of floating sponges so the dropped bullets don't get dented. I drain the water and put the fresh bullets on a towel in the sun. Lubing and sizing are next and the bullets are ready to load.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.