Short Lane 209 adapter.

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Short Lane 209 adapter.

Post by gamekeeper »

Has anyone here used one to convert a single barrel shotgun into a muzzleloader?
I have a 12 gauge muzzleloader but I am currently looking for a 20 gauge single shot conventional shotgun and was thinking that the adaptor would be fun and also useful if regular ammo was not available. I have watched videos of 12 gauge and 20 gauge adaptors and they seem to work well enough. I know it can be done with just a cut off empty shell but I would prefer something made especially for the task.
If anyone knows anything about these adaptors I would be interested in any information on them.
IMG_20200307_124445-1536x2048.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
If more men loved and cherished their wives as much as I love bacon the world would be a much better place.
3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Short Lane 209 adapter.

Post by 3leggedturtle »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sIjxJPB2Qms&autoplay=1

Heres one on the .410 209 muzzleloader adapter. He has other video along with Dave Canterbury.

I sent wrong one give me a second.

https://www.gunadapters.com/12-gauge-to ... adapter-1/

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source= ... XUa6ixfCVh

20 Gauge one here.
30/30 Winchester: Not accurate enough fer varmints, barely adequate for small deer; BUT In a 10" to 14" barrelled pistol; is good for moose/elk to 200 yards; ground squirrels to 300 metres

250 Savage... its what the 223 wishes it could be...!
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

Thanks, I hadn't seen those videos. I intend to get one ( if I can get one over here ) and I may get a non ejector 20 gauge to see if the adaptor can be held in place after loading and primed last but a rebounding hammer should be safe enough.
If more men loved and cherished their wives as much as I love bacon the world would be a much better place.
3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 3leggedturtle »

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source= ... 3ATMno9XPJ

Heres another one that goes mire in depth. He has alot more videos too
30/30 Winchester: Not accurate enough fer varmints, barely adequate for small deer; BUT In a 10" to 14" barrelled pistol; is good for moose/elk to 200 yards; ground squirrels to 300 metres

250 Savage... its what the 223 wishes it could be...!
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

Cool video, looks like a lot of fun but I'm not sure I would put steel balls down the barrel :o
Safety is paramount, I wonder which would be the most dangerous, priming first or last, priming last sounds obviously safest but what if something ignites the full charge with the breech open and the adaptor in line with your head??? Muzzleloading has different dangers compared to modern firearms, ie: I never re-loaded one barrel of my SxS muzzleloader without first taking the cap off the loaded barrel.
I learnt a bit while working for Westley Richards, I had to unload antique muzzleloaders from India that were still loaded with ancient black powder that still had some life in it.
765x53
Senior Levergunner

Post by 765x53 »

This one looks a lot easier and more practical. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a8exOwACljA
JRD
Levergunner 2.0

Post by JRD »

Please recognize that any such breech plug that does not lock into the barrel may become a projectile if you have a hangfire and open the barrel before it goes off.
There was a single shot break action muzzleloader back in the 70’s, the H&R Huntsman, that was taken off the market and redesigned after someone was killed by the breachplug.
Enjoy your new project but if you ever have a misfire, please wait a bit before opening the barrel to be sure its not a hang fire.
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

765x53 I agree that looks quite usable and does not require a ramrod... 8)

JRD That was my concern that openings the breech to prime a full load or after a missfire could result in a dangerous situation. I have never liked looking down the muzzle of a gun now with the adaptor, looking down the breech ain't such a good idea either.

I still hope to try one of these adaptors out but with caution.