Post 64 94?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post 64 94?

Post by Nath »

Today I took another look at a Winchester 94 in 30wcf.
Unfortunately it is post 64 and probably made around 1966.
20220530_171523.jpg
I noticed common dislikes of post 64 94's. Pressed shell lifter and roll pins but also machine marks on the lever. It also has lost the original butt pad and has some home made steel one fitted.
20220530_171456.jpg
20220530_171539.jpg
What is the low down regarding the receiver? The steel seems different.
It was tarnished too, can that be rubbed out?
20220530_171435.jpg
The proprietor gave me a few rounds and I went down his back yard to the berm. At about 80yards the rifle came up as predicted and felt familiar. The trigger is very nice. Probably around 2lbs.
I had no paper so shot at stone in the sand and although going a couple of inches right all four rounds were true to each other. It shoots Remington corelokt very well.
20220530_195620.jpg
20220530_204925.jpg
Personally I think it is quite costly at £600 but then again it shoots, has a nice trigger and a good bore.
Comments please from the more experienced about post 64 and pre ae 94's.
Thank you.
N.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
EdinCT
Levergunner 3.0

Re: Post 64 94?

Post by EdinCT »

Nath, I had one about the same age and it shot fine and never gave me any issues. My bud's teased me about the stamped lifter ,so I bought a forged one for about 50 bucks and swapped it out(easy) and also replaced the roll pins and passed it on to a son. I think it will continue to stack deer and targets for his life time and probably would have even if I didn't make any upgrades.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

There are plenty of experts here whose opinion is far more worth paying attention to mine, but I would expect that gun to be a nice handy shooter chambered in a practical cartridge. Not a valuable collector piece, at least at this time, although realize that a lot of things that don't seem to be the best and aren't very uncommon may a number of years later become 'collectibles'. I remember M1 carbines and SKS rifles and even semi-automatic AK variants with stamped receivers selling cheaply as 'junk' rifles, but because of regulations and politics and nostalgia they are all worth quite a bit more money now than anyone probably paid for them 30 years ago.

Here in Indiana I would probably pick up a rifle like that as a 'shooter' or a 'spare', and not worry about the post-64 status, unless it had a rebounding Hammer that really drove me nuts. I only have one gun like that and it is a break open 410 shotgun, but I just forced myself to get used to it and it still shoots.

On the other hand, I would think a whole host of other things apply where you are, because I'm not sure what kind of options or choices you are likely to get down the road, pre-64 or otherwise. Here vs where you are, I also would be able to purchase that rifle without having to forfeit any other firearms to stay below some minimum number of guns 'allowed' to be owned.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Bruce Scott
Senior Levergunner

Post by Bruce Scott »

Nath wrote: Mon May 30, 2022 3:28 pm
What is the low down regarding the receiver? The steel seems different.
It was tarnished too, can that be rubbed out?

Thank you.
N.
A Quick History of the Post ’64 Winchester Model 94 Receiver

During the early 1960’s, the Winchester Model 94 was redesigned to accommodate a more economical method of production. The re-engineered receivers were machined from a graphitic steel casting. This new material would not accept the normal Du-Lite Oxiblak bluing process, used by Winchester since 1940, without discoloration. The color could vary from copper to plum red, depending upon the individual piece. The chart below shows dates and serial numbers for the three different blackening processes used by Winchester on these receivers between 1964 and 1981.

Mfg. Date Serial Numbers Blackening Process
1964-1968 2,700,000 - 3,185,691 Du-Lite 3-0 Process
1968-1972 3,185,692 - 3,806,499 Black Chrome Plate
1972-1981 3,806,500 - 5,024,957 Win Blue/Oxiblak

(Win Blued receivers were iron plated and blackened with Du-Lite’s Oxiblak.)

When refinishing receivers which have been iron or black chrome plated, the gunsmith, when buffing these receivers, often removes the thin iron or chrome plated coating exposing the raw castings. Normal blackening processes cannot be used on these receivers.

In 1981, with the purchase of Winchester by USRACO, receivers were switched over to 4144 steel and the angle ejection port design was used. These receivers will polish and reblue normally.

Copied from: https://du-lite.com/blackening-post-64- ... receivers/

I don't know if that tarnishing will rub out successfully.
Last edited by Bruce Scott on Mon May 30, 2022 6:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

I have a 94 carbine around that age (68). It was in a bunch of guns left at my dad's place when my uncle passed away. It sat over there untouched for about twenty years.
It appeared to be hardly used, but the wood looked awful. I finally decided i would fool with it a little.
First, I took it out and shot it. I was shocked, as like your example, it had a great trigger. It also shot really well. Potential.......?
I mounted a 66 Lyman, stripped the wood and prettied it up some. It rode in a breachers scabbard in my Jeep all summer. I decided to use last hunting season too.
First, I popped this coyote at a trot through heavy woods at about 50 yards. Then, a week or so later, I head shot this 9pt. buck. Those critters didn't care one whit that it had the ugly plated receiver and stamped carrier. However, I did replace the carrier with a cast example this past winter. I also sent one to my son in Kodiak Alaska. He carries a post 64 94 made in 68 also. This carbine has been used VERY hard and almost constantly with no problems. Here is a picture of me packing it on top of Old Woman mountain on a rare nice day up there.
"Oh bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

My favorite 3 Winchester 94s are post '64s. One's a 1967 Canadian Centennial that someone converted from a rifle to Trapper with a 16" bbl. One is a 1978 carbine that I rebarreled to a 26" full octagon, with custom wood and tang peep with a globe front sight. In my younger days I won several leveraction matches with it. No surprise, it's also my best shooting mdl 94, capable of sub-moa groups. (I only wish I was still just as capable)! The 3rd is a 1979 carbine that as stock as the day it left Winchester, counting for many coyotes, as it sits loaded in the front of the safe... Hmmm... then there is the 1966 "66 Centennial" Short Rifle with its 20" octagon is holding promise as a good shooter... at least as well as my slightly diminished eyesight allows. I guess I could go on, but it nearly always surprises me that the 1st one I drag out of the safe are one of these post '64s. Yeah, I know, I listed 4... just couldn't help myself!

Besides the material the receivers are made with, the early stamped carrier, there is also the matter of how they're sprung. The early ones used a flat spring, but minus the hook and stirrup of the pre-64s. Later, in the mid '70s they changed to a coil spring around a strut. Changes how the trigger group can be dis- & re-assembled. IMO, simpler.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

Thank you for the replies.
Great photos OldWin.

Thanks for the receiver low down Bruce Scot.

Thanks Griff, my eyes ain't as good no more.

Regarding the receiver finish I guess it will have some patina and I have seen much worse!
The barrel and magazine tube have very nice bluing/ blacking.

It's how well it shot that is drawing me. My last angle eject 30wcf was a nightmare! I could not get that to shoot!
I'll get the paperwork done, send it in with my license and " provide a good reason to posses" it.

N.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Thanks Nath!

I always figured if the receiver of one of these carbines gets too ugly you could Cerakote it. In the past, there wasn't any options, really. My buddy experimented with one years ago. Nothing worked in regards to rebluing or any conventional method. Ultimately, they looked better leaving them worn looking. With today's bake on finishes, there is probably more options.
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

OldWin wrote: Tue May 31, 2022 5:26 am Thanks Nath!

I always figured if the receiver of one of these carbines gets too ugly you could Cerakote it. In the past, there wasn't any options, really. My buddy experimented with one years ago. Nothing worked in regards to rebluing or any conventional method. Ultimately, they looked better leaving them worn looking. With today's bake on finishes, there is probably more options.
Sure. As bad as some patina can be this one ain't to bad.
Thanks.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Sounds like good news to me, Nath.
I'd bring it home. Especially if your options are limited. I just can't imagine life without a 30-30. Fantastic cartridge.
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

Thanks OldWin.

Would any of folks know of a load using Alliant 2400 by any chance? I have a pinch left.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

I've never used 2400 in 30-30. Probably work pretty good for a cast load.
For the last several years, I've been using W748 for full power loads with excellent results. I've used a lot of IMR3031 in it too. Even with gas checked cast bullets. Unique for lighter cast and cat sneeze loads. Strangely, for having over a dozen 30-30s, I haven't used a lot of different powders in it.
It just seems to do whatever I need it to.
JOG
Levergunner 3.0

Post by JOG »

I like the post 1982 Winchester 94. They went back to steel forged receivers.
As long as it doesn't have the ugly push button safety!
Every American needs a 30-30 lever action!
Winchester or Marlin.
Johnny
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

Thanks guys.

I have seen some 2400 loads for cast bullets so that is an option.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Thanks to all, very interesting stuff. In have none in the category but like OWs “using” gun seems if you take it as a tool and keep it from rusting it is what it is as they say now.

One note, a local gun shop owner who did some guiding took in a rough 99. He had it hard chromed. Looked great to me, took any weathering abuse, required no attention. He took it along on whatever as a spare for anyone to use.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Yes OS!
I have seen a 99 like that in a picture! It looked great. It reminded me that I saw one of those 94s that had it done also. They also put on some Ramline synthetic furniture and used it as an all weather rifle. It looked pretty slick.