Always carry a gun.

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

Always carry a gun.

Post by Scott Tschirhart »

You never know.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
JimT
Shootist

Re: Always carry a gun.

Post by JimT »

Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

Very effective shot placement.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

Even in the summertime
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

Sometimes a miss is as good as a hit. I actually missed by a tad. But a rock chip hit right behind the head.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
Paul105
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Paul105 »

jeepnik wrote: Sat May 28, 2022 10:31 am Sometimes a miss is as good as a hit. I actually missed by a tad. But a rock chip hit right behind the head.
Sorta like "barkin' a squirrel" - "Stonein' a rattler".
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

Totally my fault. It was lying in the grass digesting it’s last meal and I was walking backwards not watching where I was stepping. Got way too close and it was the snake or me and I was way too far from medical help if bitten.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

There's plenty of two legged snakes out there too.

I've killed plenty of rattlesnakes with rocks, a roping rope, a shovel, and once with a quirt.

I've used more than one of these on a two legged snake over the years as well. A shovel can be quite effective.
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Poor snattlerake. I never had to shoot one but I've fwapped quite a few on the noggin with a breaker bar.
Only critter I was ever scared of was a badger. I saw it digging up a prarie dog mound. I decided to try and get close and get some photos. That ol badger got that feeling he was being watched- he was right and decided to do something about it! Sucker chased me back to the truck! I jumped into the bed as it was biting tires.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Gunny, do you have fillm of that? :lol:
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

The only poisonous snakes in my AO are brought from across the Cascades in the hay, etc.
My "snakes" are ANTIFA, BLM, and Gangbangers.
I never leave the house without my EDC.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

Had a Mojave Green attack the tires of a crash truck once. I guess it thought it was badder than a couple of hundred pounds of steel and rubber.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Badgers are not anything to mess with. They have claws and teeth along with a bad attitude and a bunch of strength.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

I have had patients survive attacks by multiple pit bulls, dobermans, and German shepherds, but I've also had two crippled by....Chihuahuas. Ones Achilles was ruined and the other was diabetic and had bad circulation so wound up losing most of her foot.

So even little critters can be bad.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Bill in Oregon wrote: Sat May 28, 2022 3:30 pm Gunny, do you have fillm of that? :lol:
Sadly no Bill- I didn't even get any photos! I decided I was going to get a badger and have it stuffed, standing on hind legs with it flipping 'the bird' but you know I never saw another one.

Doc, yep those Little south of the border k9s can be hard on ankles, I worked for a guy whose mother in law had one, Poncho would grab ankles every day. But he had no teeth and I always wore boots! :lol:
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Odd that I have yet to see a snake here this season. Of course that means I will see one today. Will be wearing the little Shield.
In my experience, it is best to focus and make that first shot work, otherwise you have a writhing mess. The CCI snake loads aren't very good at this.
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

My Chihuahua is old and will bark at you because she wants left alone. She has never bitten anyone. I have seen Chihuahuas that try to bite everyone. Grouchy little runts
D. Brian Casady
1894cfan
Senior Levergunner

Post by 1894cfan »

Bill, thanks for letting me know about the CCI snake loads, we get Mojave Greens here time to time. BTW, were you talking about the 22 version or the 38 version? I've got both the #9 and #4 versions. #4s ought to be OK out of a 38 J frame, maybe.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

I've used the 'birdshot' 22LR loads with good success actually, although we very rarely shoot snakes, as the only dangerous ones where I live are copperheads and they aren't very common. Most of the time I'll use a stick to flip them in a 5 gallon bucket and haul them off away from the house.
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

You know, from 6 feet or so, I have had better luck with that cloud of tiny shot from the .22 shells than the bigger shot from the .38 and .44 loads.
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

piller wrote: Sun May 29, 2022 6:56 am My Chihuahua is old and will bark at you because she wants left alone. She has never bitten anyone. I have seen Chihuahuas that try to bite everyone. Grouchy little runts
Great comment. In Mexico the ones that let you see them are wily things, and do what they're bred for.
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

1894cfan wrote: Sun May 29, 2022 9:23 am Bill, thanks for letting me know about the CCI snake loads, we get Mojave Greens here time to time. BTW, were you talking about the 22 version or the 38 version? I've got both the #9 and #4 versions. #4s ought to be OK out of a 38 J frame, maybe.
I’m certain those are just plain old Pacific Diamondbacks. Greens are a protected species :wink:

As to snake loads I bought some in .45 acp that work well in revolvers. They have a longer than usual case that has sort of pie shaped crimp on the mouth. No capsule.

It’s been a while and I have no idea who made them or where I got them.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

CCI used to make capsules for shot in centerfire pistol calibers. I have some loaded in . 45 Colt and . 44 Mag using a very light load of Universal and a capsule full of #12 shot. At 10 feet they pretty well shred a 4x4 square of cardboard. I have never shot a snake with them, and am not looking to try them out if I don't need them. If memory serves, it was about 5 or 6 grains of powder. I would need to find them and look at the recipe. Not sure when I will get that done.
D. Brian Casady
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Brian, I think those old CCI shot capsules loaded with No. 12 would be dandy on buzzers. It is the larger shot sizes that begin to come up short.
1894cfan
Senior Levergunner

Post by 1894cfan »

jeepnik, thanks for letting me know the Greens are protected. CCI had capsules for 22lr on up to 44spl. The 45acp's were bottleneck with a rollover crimp to hold in a plastic disc.

Bill, you're right, rimfires had #12 with the centerfires loaded with #9 then they brought out #4s too some 10 years ago.
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

Bill in Oregon wrote: Mon May 30, 2022 7:37 am Brian, I think those old CCI shot capsules loaded with No. 12 would be dandy on buzzers. It is the larger shot sizes that begin to come up short.
The .22 (and .22 mags are even better) are excellent snake killers. I think even the old rosette crimped .22s did just fine on snakes.
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

I used to chamfer a 44 case to a cutting edge, use that to cut the primer wrapper cardboard for powder and over shot wads. A powder charge, wad, shot and over shot and run through the seater die to crimp it in place. Shot loads of packrats. I also used 7narfs or 8 shot.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
ollogger
Advanced Levergunner

Post by ollogger »

I always carry some kind of gun, around my place this time of year the 642 is carried with 2 snake shot &
3 plus p loads of cast bullets, i have used snake shot on buzzers from 22 - 45 colt, cant say one is better
than the other, they all killed them dead, when the one ton angus bull came at me from about 75 yards
i did feel pretty puny with the 642, at a very close range i let off a shot & he didnt want to play any more :shock:

hit him in the neck as he was lowering his head to smash me, yep always carry a gun!!

Brad
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

I've got to wonder what this would do with a shotshell. It is .22 mag.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

I'd consider you well armed against buzzers with that rig and the CCI shot shells, Jeepnik.
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

jeepnik wrote: Mon May 30, 2022 8:44 pm I've got to wonder what this would do with a shotshell. It is .22 mag.
With CCI shot shells you would have no trouble with snakes. Bigger things probably need more than that.
JOG
Levergunner 3.0

Post by JOG »

I've never had a rattle snake near me before!
I was bitten by three different dogs in my life.
All three were German Shepards!
All three bites were in my AZZ!
OOHH that's smarts!
Johnny
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

Don’t run from a dog anymore than you would any other predator. That way you won’t get bit on the butt. Or hamstring.

And often I f you respond just as aggressively they’ll back off. But man is basically a prey animal and natural instinct is to turn and run. Flight or fight instinct lists flight first for a reason.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

got charged by a dog recently. i was carrying my one kilogram staff. pointed the end straight at the animal with the intention of cramming it down the throat when it got in range. kept my wife behind me as i turned with the dog. dog read the cudgel and made a wide circle around me and retreated. simple sign language. some woman was chasing the dog screaming "please don't kill my dog" at top volume. crazy stuff. maybe the dog was just trying to escape the hysterical woman and wanting some protection? IDK LOL
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Grizz wrote: Tue May 31, 2022 4:23 pm maybe the dog was just trying to escape the hysterical woman and wanting some protection? IDK LOL
:lol: may be right.

I've found that dogs read "attitude" - if you just look at them like it would really annoy you to have to waste your precious time to snap their worthless little neck (presuming you can really project that attitude if the dog is big and mean), that they will usually chill out. I'm sure that's NOT the case for a trained attack dog or whatever, but it has saved my bacon quite a few times. If the dog senses that you are "afraid it might bite you", then odds are it WILL. (learned that one the hard way a few times too).

Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

I've chased bad guys over fences and through yards. Never had a dog try to bite me, though they would tear up the person I was chasing.

I had a 120 pound dog cold nose me one night while I was running an alarm call. Scared both of us! But we got to be friends after that.

I had to kill a couple of dogs one night in Natalia. I was there to do a death notification to a family. They came around the corner after I was through the gate and almost to the porch. It was new year's eve and the family thought my .357 was fireworks. Fortunately they were very kind and gracious about the dogs and they had already heard that their loved one had died. I felt really bad about that and wish I didn't have to do it. Those dogs were just doing their job.

In Houston, we had a really good German Shepherd in the Third Ward in the 1980s. For some reason that dog didn't pay attention to me at all, but he would get after another officer if turned loose to look for burglars in a store, so I was the only one who could go in with the handler if the dog was going to be off leash. One night that dog surprised me. He was hell on burglars and would generally get some teeth into them if he caught one. He was so good at it that I had "barked" burglers out of more than one building by pretending to get ready to send in the dog. He had a reputation.

That night we were in a grocery store, those old stores often had little storerooms off to the side separated by a small curtain. I was watching this dog walk down the aisle. He stopped by that curtain and a small black hand came out and petted him on the back. He then proceeded down the aisle as if nothing had happenend.

Ordinarily we would have had to pull that dog loose from the burglar. This night was just different. I don't really understand what happened. Might have been that the dog normally would react to fear and the burglar was not afraid? Don't worry, he gave up without a fight.
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Neighbor's pit bulls get really confused when I call them puppies and ask if they want to play. They usually just wander away.
My Ridgeback mix has scared them both. The dogs have all chewed a hole in the fence just big enough for them to get their noses through. The pitties put their noses through and Flint grabs it and doesn't let go until the pittie is just hanging limp. Flint actually is friendly to most humans. He just doesn't like to be barked at by another dog. My two Irish Terrierist mix dogs in the back yard are only in the 20 pound range, but they kill grass snakes, squirrels, and anything else that they can get ahold of. They would be more trouble for a police officer than Flint would. Flint would want petted. Colter and Mycroft would try to tag team the ankles. They are not mean, but it is their home. Off the property they are actually a bit shy.
D. Brian Casady
450 Fuller
Levergunner 2.0

Post by 450 Fuller »

Cochise County, AZ. has about 19 varieties of rattlesnake. The Mojaves all the way to Western diamonds and blacktails.
My rule after a few years was let em go unless they were coiled and striking. Then they are history.

Had a Rottweiler and a pit bull both attack me and my horse. Had warned the guy
about his dogs coming on public land after us. So......
A New Service 45 Colt is pure hell on dogs.

Pit bulls are targets, not dogs. End of story.
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

While stationed in Florida I would run every morning either before I went to work or got home I worked 24 on 24 off. Along my route was a large GSD. From time to time the owner would leave the gate open and it would charge out and try to grab a piece of me. Talking to the owner did no good. He believed that the sidewalk and street in front of his property was his and basically said run somewhere else.

I was young(22), fit and upset. I went to the local hardware store and bought an 18” of 2” pine dowel. Next time the dog charged me in the street I turned and popped him on the snout. It never again came at me. In fact, if I ran by it would scurry behind the house.

The owner saw this once and wanted to know what I’d done to his “watch dog”. I just said his dog met a bigger, meaner dog.

There’s no reason to own an aggressive dog unless it’s chained up or fenced in. Actually, there’s really no reason to own an untrained, aggressive dog.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

jeepnik wrote: Wed Jun 01, 2022 12:47 pm While stationed in Florida I would run every morning either before I went to work or got home I worked 24 on 24 off. Along my route was a large GSD. From time to time the owner would leave the gate open and it would charge out and try to grab a piece of me. Talking to the owner did no good. He believed that the sidewalk and street in front of his property was his and basically said run somewhere else.

I was young(22), fit and upset. I went to the local hardware store and bought an 18” of 2” pine dowel. Next time the dog charged me in the street I turned and popped him on the snout. It never again came at me. In fact, if I ran by it would scurry behind the house.

The owner saw this once and wanted to know what I’d done to his “watch dog”. I just said his dog met a bigger, meaner dog.

There’s no reason to own an aggressive dog unless it’s chained up or fenced in. Actually, there’s really no reason to own an untrained, aggressive dog.
A similar length of 3/4" PVC conduit can be handy. If you use the 'electrical' kind with the flare on one end it makes a good handle to not slip out of your hand, and the light weight means you can get quite a bit of velocity.

piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

My dogs know where the property line is. They stay on it.
D. Brian Casady
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

AJMD429 wrote: Wed Jun 01, 2022 2:47 pm
jeepnik wrote: Wed Jun 01, 2022 12:47 pm While stationed in Florida I would run every morning either before I went to work or got home I worked 24 on 24 off. Along my route was a large GSD. From time to time the owner would leave the gate open and it would charge out and try to grab a piece of me. Talking to the owner did no good. He believed that the sidewalk and street in front of his property was his and basically said run somewhere else.

A similar length of 3/4" PVC conduit can be handy. If you use the 'electrical' kind with the flare on one end it makes a good handle to not slip out of your hand, and the light weight means you can get quite a bit of velocity.
I have about 40' of the stuff in the garage. But these days I can't run but have a cane instead. I picked up a solid aluminum one. I imagine it would be good for both two and four legged critters. I studied Kali some years back. I find it translates well into cane use.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

I was renting a small house in a quiet neighborhood in Waco. My then wife screamed and I saw that she was up on the hood of her car in the driveway.

I went out with a shotgun and the neighbor's 70 pound pit bull dog had her treed. I put a round of OO blue whistlers through that dog at about 10 feet. Then I dragged his carcass over and threw it up on the neighbor's porch. The neighbor looked out the window at me and never said a word.

Nobody ever called the police and I never heard another thing about the incident.
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

A couple of years ago a neighbor had his pit chained up in front of his house. It's chain was just short enough to prevent it from reaching the sidewalk. Complaints went ignored. Finally an elderly lady fell when she back away from the on rushing dog. Cops got involved and when the officer tried to approach the house he too was charged. Animal control arrived, let the critter get to the end of his chain then simply put a loop on it. After disconnecting the chain they put it in a truck and hauled it away. All the while the neighbor was screaming bloody murder about hs dog doing no wrong. Whoever does such things determined the dog was a danger and it was euthanized. That shut him up until he moved. I feel sorry for his new neighbors.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

If a dog leaves the property and attacks, or attempts to attack someone, it is right to kill it. If someone attempts to burglarize the property, and the dog harms them, the dog was right. Make sure your dog knows right and wrong. Mine do.
D. Brian Casady
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Or a camera...So... starting on Friday I started off by mowing the front and back yards... Then started in on my 5 pastures... Not a great big deal, maybe 2 -3 acres each... 3 of which have no fences separating them. Got two of them done and the 3rd "cut-in" and quit a bit before sunset and figured I'd finish it all off on Saturday. Anyway, come Saturday late morning I got started again... had made about 5 laps around perimeter of my largest pasture and noticed a coyote pacing me about 50 yards off to the right. Just walking along and glancing over in my direction ever so often... I poked along until I came abreast of the gate into this pasture from the drive. I stopped the tractor, got out, left it running and walked back to the house, about 75 yards... I had to walk into the very back bedroom, as I'd emptied out the safe off all the guns in preparation of some remodeling on Monday. Grabbed my 16" Winchester 94 in .30-30 and looked in... at least two rounds, one of which was my favored 125HP. I know these are loaded to about 2500fps. So, I walked back out to the tractor holding the rifle down along my pants leg and looked for the coyote. He was till walking along a line but now about 100 yards ahead of & off to the right of the tractor. As I brought to rifle up to brace against the front bucket ram, I noticed a 2nd coyote almost directly opposite me. He was walking along the same line as the lead coyote... and hadn't seen me... So I swung back up to put my front sight on the should of the 1st coyote... SMACK! Down he went! At the shot the 2nd 'yote took off at full speed and passed right by his buddy and never slowed... I got my front sight on him just as he slowed and made a hard right into the brush along the fenceline. He stopped right at the fence... and I touched him also. A good 125 yard shot. I have never seen coyotes just watch me walk either away or toward them without them taking off for parts distant! Either someone's been feeding these (2 males), or they're of the more stupid variety! I shoulda had the rifle with me already.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Coyotes are like people; usually street-smart but every once in awhile one is either stupid or crazy; maybe on a 'mission' beyond our comprehension, even, but sure appears strange behavior to us.

piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

A few weeks ago, a kid in the Dallas area was attacked by a coyote. Turns out the Mexican immigrants are feeding them. Could that be happening in your area?
D. Brian Casady
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

Griff wrote: Sun Jun 05, 2022 9:54 pm I have never seen coyotes just watch me walk either away or toward them without them taking off for parts distant! Either someone's been feeding these (2 males), or they're of the more stupid variety! I shoulda had the rifle with me already.
They were there for a meal. Shredding a pasture cuts up small animals and reptiles and they were looking to be the first to feast on the fresh meat. I've seen them follow a tractor like that when they were very hungry.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Scott Tschirhart wrote: Mon Jun 06, 2022 8:24 am
Griff wrote: Sun Jun 05, 2022 9:54 pm I have never seen coyotes just watch me walk either away or toward them without them taking off for parts distant! Either someone's been feeding these (2 males), or they're of the more stupid variety! I shoulda had the rifle with me already.
They were there for a meal. Shredding a pasture cuts up small animals and reptiles and they were looking to be the first to feast on the fresh meat. I've seen them follow a tractor like that when they were very hungry.
Yeah, they've followed me before, but... as soon as I stopped and climbed off they were off like a shot! I've got a couple yellow tailed hawks that live in the woods surrounding me and they are always around on the lookout for displaced rodents... then there's the egrets... but they're usually out in front of the tractor chasin' the crickets or grasshoppers... at least for the 1st mowing of the season.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!