Homemade percussion caps

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
elmo123
Levergunner 2.0

Homemade percussion caps

Post by elmo123 »

Since my attempts at reloading 22 magnums was a bust I decided to come up with a solution to the left over priming mixture.
I have a single shot black powder pistol that I don't use very often so when I decided to take it to the range with me I discovered that I was almost out of percussion caps. Then I came up with a solution.
I knocked the primer cup out of some fired Remington 157 shotgun shell primers, hammered out the firing pin dimple and used the priming mixture to create a percussion cap. These work darn good and the corrosive nature of the priming mixture doesn't matter since you have to clean the pistol thoroughly after use due to the black powder.
The cups fit tightly and they seal better than the thinner factory caps.
Ysabel Kid

Re: Homemade percussion caps

Post by Ysabel Kid »

This is on my to-do list list. I purchased one of the kits to make percussion caps, but haven't got around to trying to make them.
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Need a dang like button here!
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

A tip worth knowing 8) percussion caps are scarce over here .....
If more men loved and cherished their wives as much as I love bacon the world would be a much better place.
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

gamekeeper wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 4:57 am A tip worth knowing 8) percussion caps are scarce over here .....
Here too John. Haven't seen a tin in any store in over two years. :cry:
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

And given what primers now cost, if you can find them, I shutter to think of what percussion caps are going for now! :shock: