Range Time with the 1911

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
JimT
Shootist

Range Time with the 1911

Post by JimT »

I headed to the Range this AM to run a couple hundred rounds through my carry 1911. It's one of those Filipino guns ... been carrying it for 6 years or so. It has proven reliable and fairly accurate.
newgrips1.jpg
My goal at the range was to practice pulling the gun and putting shots on multiple targets .. concentrating on proper grip ... acquiring the front sight .. etc. I used a cast 225 gr. RN bullet sized .452" and lubed with Paco's lube. I had two different loads ... a light target load using 4.0 gr. of Bullseye and a little heavier load using 4.8 gr. of Green Dot.

While there I did shoot some 5-shot groups from the bench with the target loads.
IMG_3414.JPG
IMG_3415.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Range Time with the 1911

Post by Grizz »

Sharp Shooter
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Scott Tschirhart »

Looks good to me.
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

:shock: na, you got your rifle targets mixed up Jim!
Awesome, won't be long now and I think you will of cracked it 👍.

🤣
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
rossim92
Senior Levergunner

Post by rossim92 »

I have a taylor 1911gi from philippines, shoot center but a bit to the left i need to drift rear sight a bit. only have about a 100 rds through since new but goes bang everytime.
Rossi 92 .357 lever , and a cz pcr 9mm
Henry .22 lever, Remington speedmaster 552 .22 lr
Marlin Glenfield .22 boltaction
gforce 12ga semi
Taylor's Tactical 1911 A1 FS in .45acp
winchester 1873 44.40
Marlin 336W .30.30
beeman sportsman rs2 dual caliber pellet rifle
henry .22 magnum pumpaction/octagon barrel
stag 5.56 m4 with reddot
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Nothin' like chillaxin' at the range with a 1911 Jim. 8)
Sarge
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Sarge »

Fine shooting Jim.

I've had pretty good luck with Rock Islands. I think the Metro Arms 1911 is an excellent Filipino pistol as well.

https://www.thesixgunjournal.net/the-me ... 11-pistol/
People were smarter before the Internet, or imbeciles were harder to notice.
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

Sarge .. I've heard nothing but good things about Rock Island.
My 1911 was made by S.A.M. Inc. and imported by ATI. It was a gift to me from a good friend when I moved back from Africa after my wife passed. It has held up well and works just fine for what I need it to do.
Sarge
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Sarge »

Shooter's Arms Manufacturing was one of the few outfits that produced a quality, faithful 4 1/4" standard bushing version of the Colt Commander. If there had been one available, you'd be reading a range report from me ;)
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

my 1911 is from metro arms. seems well made to me, but it's the only 1911 i've ever owned, so it's the best one. Plus it's roll stamped American Classic on the port side, same as my Beeman pellet pistol, so i've got a collection started. :lol:
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

That looks lke a good shooter.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

When it comes to handguns I love the 1911 style .45's! I have one pre 70 series from 1964, and a Remington 1911A1 Camp Perry gun, and a S&W 745. I never head to the range to shoot anything without bringing one of my '45's to do some shooting with.
That 1911 you have appears to be extremely accurate!
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

marlinman93 wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 10:59 am That 1911 you have appears to be extremely accurate!
Thanks. With some loads it is. With some loads it is just average. That's the fun of handloading.
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

JimT wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 3:36 pm
marlinman93 wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 10:59 am That 1911 you have appears to be extremely accurate!
Thanks. With some loads it is. With some loads it is just average. That's the fun of handloading.
I've always wondered how anyone who doesn't reload can ever really discover how accurate their guns could be? Being able to tailor loads to our guns is indeed satisfying!
Catshooter
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Catshooter »

No kidding! I had some factory Mag-Tec .45 ACP one time. Rare for me. But it wouldn't shoot fer nothing! I pulled a round and the bullet was .448 in diameter!

Casting & reloading is the way.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

For as roughly machined as these Armscor 1911s seem to be, they work pretty well! I won a Taylor's Tactical several years back, had it tuned and began using it as my main Wild Bunch gun... Liked it so much so that I bought another and set it up as my back up gun. A couple of years later I bought a RIA from a forum member, but haven't shot it as much as the 2 Taylor's guns. I suppose I really should go print them on paper to see exactly what they're capable of! :oops:

Gotta tell ya Jim, good taste in grips!

Although I then went and tried to checker mine... shame on me... so I went back to checkered wood.

I have to hand it to you, if you're shooting that great with the factory sights... my hat's off! I had to change mine out so I could distinguish between the front & rear a little better. I just when with a taller & wider front, and a taller rear.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
VERY COOL... GOOD SHOOT'N TOO!
LETS GO SHOOT'N BOYS
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

Griff wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 5:41 am I have to hand it to you, if you're shooting that great with the factory sights... my hat's off!
The only thing I changed on the 1911 is to install a flat mainspring housing. The sights that are on the gun are wider than the old military "blade" sights and work ok for me.
IMG_3425.JPG
The grips were gift from Paul Persinger. The gun is sorta like a $20 horse with a $40 saddle.
IMG_3426.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Didn't realize till I looked at the larger pictures, but those aren't the same gun! I should do a better job naming pictures! I played around with flat vs. curved mainspring housings, and settled on the flat, which the Taylor's came with. All my other 1911s have curved.

The closeup of the grip showing the detail is nice. I suppose those feel much better than poly-ivory!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

AND... I'm over it!!
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

Griff wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 8:51 am The closeup of the grip showing the detail is nice. I suppose those feel much better than poly-ivory!
I am not sure. Never had the poly variety. Normally I like wood grips but I have ivory on a few of my special guns. This is the only use-it-every-day gun of mine with ivory .. and that was because of how I came to own them.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

JimT wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 11:38 am
Griff wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 8:51 amThe closeup of the grip showing the detail is nice. I suppose those feel much better than poly-ivory!
I am not sure. Never had the poly variety. Normally I like wood grips but I have ivory on a few of my special guns. This is the only use-it-every-day gun of mine with ivory .. and that was because of how I came to own them.
IMO, the poly stuff doesn't have the warmth of a natural substance. Somewhat like the difference between varnish and oil finishes.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

AND... I'm over it!!
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

I love ivory grips, but I went two tone on my 1964 Colt. Ivory and rosewood.

Still have the original grips on my Camp Perry Remington.

Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Vall, I had not seen the two-tone grips before. Very handsome! But then I have always liked saddle shoes as well. :lol:
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

Bill in Oregon wrote: Sat May 21, 2022 7:39 am Vall, I had not seen the two-tone grips before. Very handsome! But then I have always liked saddle shoes as well. :lol:
Yes... They are quite unique. I bet they feel good in the hand.
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

The 1911 has always looked good in blue steel, whether parkerized or polished. Just my limited experience, but the design is inherently accurate. Kick is not nearly as bad as the old timers who were bad with a pistol used to tell me it was when I was a kid.

The Rock Island ones are not easy to put new sights on. The pins on the front and the dovetail on the rear are sort of an odd size. A little bit of file work was necessary. It would be easier to just buy a new slide and barrel, some lipstick, and match up the barrel to the slide. At least it was for me. The lipstick smashes away and leaves the high spots shiny. Those spots are where you gently file one time before reassembly. Eventually the barrel locks perfectly into the slide when all the lipstick is pushed out of the locking lugs. At that point, mine suddenly started giving groups that made me smile from ear to ear. It took a few hours, but it was worth it. I used lipstick because it was cheap, easy to see, and degreaser removes it.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
Sarge
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Sarge »

Good, usable sights can be installed on the basic GI or Commander slide.

https://www.thesixgunjournal.net/stakin ... ont-sight/

marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

Bill in Oregon wrote: Sat May 21, 2022 7:39 am Vall, I had not seen the two-tone grips before. Very handsome! But then I have always liked saddle shoes as well. :lol:
Yes, I was looking to upgrade to ivory and saw these from an Ebay grip seller. Somehow I wont the auction way too cheap, and expected them to wiggle out of the price, but they honored it.

They are extremely comfortable, and I really like the two tone appearance.
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Sarge wrote: Sat May 21, 2022 9:27 am Good, usable sights can be installed on the basic GI or Commander slide.

https://www.thesixgunjournal.net/stakin ... ont-sight/

Unfortunately, the RIA are not quite the same as 99% of what is available. The stake holes are closer together. Made for a lot of file work and using a drill press to get a fit.
D. Brian Casady
Sarge
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Sarge »

GI Colts prior to the A1 used a small, basically round tenon. They've been collectible a long time and nobody changes the sights on those.

The standard 1911A1 military and commercial Colts, on through the original Series 70, are milled to accept sights with a rectangular .058" tenon. Many copies of the Colt use it and I have installed .058" tenon sights on the mentioned Colts, Rock Islands and Auto Ordnance pistols without problems.

Almost all the Series 80 Colts and, I believe, the Series 70 re-issues are cut for a .125" tenon. This was intended to better support their high-profile front sights. They are in fact much sturdier and are, when properly staked, less prone to depart under recoil.

Springfield Armory's 1911s are decent pistols that hail from the land of metrics. Whatever they were aiming for in millimeters, it worked out to an .088" rectangular tenon on the GI and MilSpec pistols. I generally file fit a Colt 80 sight to these.

It's worth mentioning here that some fitting of the tenon may be necessary to install a sight in any of these cuts. This is a cakewalk compared to figuring out which aftermarket 1911 dovetail front and rear sights fit the various foreign, metric 1911 dovetails.
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Maybe the RIA tenon was made larger as time went on. I measured the one I removed at . 055. The sight I installed was by Novak, and it required a lot of file work. I have never seen a Novak need more than minor fitting. My RIA is first year sold in the US.
D. Brian Casady
Sarge
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Sarge »

Pillar if your early RIA came with GI sights, it should have the GI rear dovetail or something very close to it. That's considerably smaller than Novaks rear sights (for the 'Novak cut') so I'll bet you did have some filing to do. If the tenon of the front sight you removed was 0.055", it's definitely what they call the USGI A1 or 70 Series front sight.

Edited to add- the nickel slide in my photo above is a Rock Island slide and that's a GI/70 (.058) tenon MGW front sight staked onto it.