Solar total eclipse. . . anyone BTDT...?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Solar total eclipse. . . anyone BTDT...?

Post by AJMD429 »

JimT's cool pictures of the lunar eclipse got me thinking about the total solar eclipse that's coming up I think in April 2024, at least for much of the United States between Arizona and New York if I recall the path correctly.

It will cost over the family homestead and I have tried to not relatives know it might be a cool opportunity to have a reunion, but some of them say they've not been all that impressed with solar eclipses. I'm thinking maybe they haven't been in a total one because from what I understand it's completely different.

Has anyone here on the forum been in a total solar eclipse? If so what was it really like?
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Bruce Scott
Senior Levergunner

Re: Solar total eclipse. . . anyone BTDT...?

Post by Bruce Scott »

I experienced one in October 1976. As I recall it lasted for about five minutes and became fully dark for some of that time. It started around 4.30 in the afternoon and my dog, kenneled outside, went off to bed as it darkened. He was quite surprised when it dawned again a few minutes later.

The media got all excited about it but it was overcast where I was so we had no clear vision of the sun. I was pretty underwhelmed.

Some media footage from that time: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=j9_w1r8vArw
Last edited by Bruce Scott on Mon May 16, 2022 7:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.
ollogger
Advanced Levergunner

Post by ollogger »

In 2017 we had a total eclipse in this part of Wyoming, was weird when the birds flew in to roost
the traffic on I 25 was backed up from Casper to the Colorado line, every one from south of here came to watch the big show, they had two menu in town, one for the locals & one for the eclipse people, oh the eclipse was cool
but i wouldnt travel to go see one after seeing what people did here, alot of folks was stacked up by my place & we live 8 miles out of town, i let some park in my horse shoe drive way & never charged them a dime

ollogger
Mark in MO
Levergunner

Post by Mark in MO »

While not 100% the 2017 solar eclipse was about 95 - 97% in the area where we live. I thought it was pretty wild, street lights came on and many birds went to roost. I was working that day but most of us went outside to watch, with the proper safety equipment of course.
Rockrat
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Rockrat »

Drove up to Wyoming. Didn't think it would be that bad on the interstate, but it was packed. Made it part way to Casper and stopped at a rest area. Took 10 min. to get to the bathrooms(for guys) and at least double that for the ladies. Headed back towards Colorado and found a place to park and waited. Temp dropped about 15 degrees. Was neat watching the approaching darkness coming from the West. Might head to Oklahoma for the 2024 , but maybe not.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Thirty-some years ago down in Panama......
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
octagon
Senior Levergunner

Post by octagon »

About 40 years ago I was a young carpenter building 2 large grease traps as part of a remodel at a huge grocery store. Lots of steel in those traps,and in the early afternoon viewed an eclipse through a welders mask. IT got very dark and cast an odd yellowish shadow,very cool as one might expect. Would make for an excellent celestial gathering. 8)
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

I'm not sure I'd drive and camp anyplace random just to see one, but since one is coming whether I do anything or not, I figure I'll enjoy the spectacle. Maybe an excuse to get family together and party.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Pisgah
Senior Levergunner

Post by Pisgah »

We had a total eclipse a few years back. I really cannot describe the experience, except to say that if you can see one without going halfway around the world to do it, be SURE to do it. You will not forget it, ever.
Beaker
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Beaker »

I went to North Dakota in Feb 1979 with a college science class to observe the total eclipse then. It was a wonderful experience. Prior to totality the birds started chirping like they were going to sleep in the evening. During the period of totality, it was very cool and erie looking. It was dark enough above us that the stars were shining but if you looked to the north or south you could still see blue skies. It was clear as a bell that day and about minus 30. We were up north of Minot almost to the Canadian border. We could see the sun's corona and Bailey's beads too. Just an awesome experience. Oh, did I mention it was cold too?