Dangerous Situation

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Woodsloafer2
Levergunner 2.0

Dangerous Situation

Post by Woodsloafer2 »

Went down to the range on the back 40 to do some testing and sighting in. Have a 2011 in 45 that was a bit unreliable and put in a new extractor and recoil spring. That tested well and seems to be fixed. It will take a few hundred rounds though to be sure. Had to adjust the sights on my Bowen Redhawk and that went well. Next was an old Ruger 44 Flattop that someone before me chopped to 4 5/8. A very handy and reliable gun till tonight. At the first shot just a click. In case of hang fire I waited a bit and then went to half cock to pull out and discard the cartridge. Would not go to half cock and the cylinder was locked up. Pulled out the cylinder rod and was able to wiggle the cylinder lightly enough to get to half cock but the cylinder is still locked up and will not come out. In holding it up to the light between the back of the cylinder and the frame the firing pin looks to be locked into the cartridge. I think the firing pin broke and locked in the firing position. Since the cartridge is still unfired I am very hesitant to put any force on it. Never had one apart. I am thinking it needs to go to the gunsmith. Or is there an easier way??
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Re: Dangerous Situation

Post by AJMD429 »

Creepy and I'd call a gunsmith if it were me.

I soppose a soft lead bullet could be drilled through from the muzzle very slowly and the powder then emptied but I'd want that done by a machine set up I could operate from behind a shield.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Sarge
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Sarge »

Here's what I would try first; but don't do it if you're not 100% comfortable with it.

I would, very carefully with long-nose pliers, ease a slip fit wooden dowel in the bore and hold the barrel straight up. Mark the dowel at exactly the muzzle with a pencil. That will at least tell you whether or not you squibbed a bullet into the forcing cone and locked the cylinder. Squibs can also play all manner of hell with primer set-back and lock a cylinder up at both ends.
People were smarter before the Internet, or imbeciles were harder to notice.
Woodsloafer2
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Woodsloafer2 »

Thanks for the comments gentlemen. I am going to look it over more today. Checking for a squib is something I will do...carefully. Thanks again!
Woodsloafer2
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Woodsloafer2 »

It is a squib load Sarge. Thank you for the idea to measure it. I was not thinking it could be that because there was just a click and no sign of a primer ignition. Now to clear it. Never have had one but I assume I need to try and push it back instead of try and pull it. I will need to figure out a way to safely do it in case it could still go off. My thought is to insert a sturdy dowel..dowel the against a tree and push from the grip from behind the gun. Need to think it all over carefully for a good bit...
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

The squib means it has gone off. Just push the bullet that is stuck in the bore back into the cylinder and then you will be able to roll the cylinder around and push out the entire cartridge. It should not take much. I have used a section of cleaning rod and a small hammer to tap the bullet back.
Woodsloafer2
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Woodsloafer2 »

Thank you!
AmBraCol
Webservant

Post by AmBraCol »

My first thought when I read this this morning was "Squib". Had that happen years ago on a Ruger Old Army that was "loaded inappropriately". BUT it pushed the projectile far enough into the barrel that the revolver cycled just fine. Since I only felt the "click" of the hammer, didn't suspect a squib. The next bullet down the tube "exited stage left", ruining the barrel, causing the loading lever latch to disappear and destroying my plans to take the old sixgun along with me on a river trip. Sure am glad that your experience with one was less dramatic. ALWAYS check your firearm for a possible squib after a "failure to fire". There are other possible causes of such an event, of course, but a squib load seems to be about the most common one.
Paul - in Pereira

"He is the best friend of American liberty who is most sincere and active in promoting true and undefiled religion." -- John Witherspoon

http://www.paulmoreland.com
http://www.pistolpackingpreachers.us
http://www.precisionandina.com
Woodsloafer2
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Woodsloafer2 »

the old Ruger is back in business. Just got done shooting it. I pulled the bullet on the squib load and there was no powder. My fault as it is one of my handloads. First time in 40 plus years of reloading it has happened. I always look in the case before seating a bullet but must have missed one. I weighed all my other loaded ammo to see if any were out of sync with the others just to be sure it was the only one. Thnak you all for taking the time to weigh in. Greatly appreciated.
Sarge
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Sarge »

That's great news Woodsloafer! Glad we were able to help.
People were smarter before the Internet, or imbeciles were harder to notice.
AmBraCol
Webservant

Post by AmBraCol »

That's good news! Yep, we all make mistakes eventually. Glad this one turned out OK.
Paul - in Pereira

"He is the best friend of American liberty who is most sincere and active in promoting true and undefiled religion." -- John Witherspoon

http://www.paulmoreland.com
http://www.pistolpackingpreachers.us
http://www.precisionandina.com
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

That's good. My fear was that if it was a squib that the powder must not have all gone off and there would be potential explosive force still in there.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "