44-40 Pressure Test Results Videos

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Bryan Austin
Levergunner 2.0

44-40 Pressure Test Results Videos

Post by Bryan Austin »

Over the past few years I conducted 83 ten shot tests using the PressureTrace II system. Recently I decided to try and open up a comparison chart using overlays in the Gimp editing software and make some videos out of them..

It is not the best but I think it is certainly good enough for discussions.

It took me a while to satisfy myself as to the accuracy, but with the discovery of a few missing links, in general, everything is 100% consistent with reloading manuals and factory ammunition.

Rather than do one video at a time, once or so a week, I decided to dump a few all at one time. Check the website link below for updates.
https://sites.google.com/view/44winches ... authuser=0
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Re: 44-40 Pressure Test Results Videos

Post by AJMD429 »

"...Replicated vintage black powder loads used pre-1884 unheadstamped cases that have the largest inside balloon pockets available. They created the highest pressures and fastest velocities, as advertised during that timeframe. I believe this to be due to the amount of powder that is down beside and "beneath" the initial ignition of the powder...possibly creating a "boost". The more shallow the pocket, the less "boost" created...."

Fascinating...!
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
buckeyeshooter
Senior Levergunner

Post by buckeyeshooter »

Thank you for the information and all your work. You have given several new powders to try in 44-40 in a rifle. I have been using Unique exclusively in 44-40. I have a Uberti 66 for cowboy shooting with a 19 inch barrel, I use 7 grains unique and get 1040fps. My other 44-40s are Ruger Vaqueros (44 magnums with a second cylinder made up) and a Japanese 92. I have used up to 10 grains of Unique and chronographed the 4 3/4 Vaqueros at an average of 1012 fps with .430 diameter 200 gain jacketed bullets. I used this same load in the 92 to kill a nice doe one year, gave the same performance as I get from a Marlin 1894 in 44 Magnum. I look forward to experimenting with your information. Thanks again.
Bryan Austin
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Bryan Austin »

Ed Harris' 230gr 43-230G has been added to the new Reloder 7 230gr/240gr video...probably the best performing of the group.

I personally used a Hornady SWC HP for hunting but never tested it.

https://sites.google.com/view/44winches ... ace-videos
Bryan Austin
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Bryan Austin »

All eight videos have been added
Carlsen Highway
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Carlsen Highway »

Invaluable work Bryan, well done.
A person who carries a cat home by the tail, will receive information that will always be useful to them.
Mark Twain
KWK
Senior Levergunner

Post by KWK »

I believe this to be due to the amount of powder that is down beside and "beneath" the initial ignition of the powder...possibly creating a "boost". The more shallow the pocket, the less "boost" created.
Now that wasn't expected. I'll hazard a guess the flame front was able to fan out into a greater volume. Instead of just a hemisphere as with solid head cases, it could advance to the sides of the pocket, getting more flame sooner in the critical initial phase of the burn.
Bryan Austin
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Bryan Austin »

Here is the case failure using the Western balloon pocket case and 40gr of Swiss black powder. The ignition path is obvious in this photo.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Rimfire McNutjob
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rimfire McNutjob »

Is that a semi-balloon head?

I thought a full balloon head actually had a folded rim with powder space there as well. I'm a bit too young to have ever opened one up though.

Really enjoyed the videos.
... I love poetry, long walks on the beach, and poking dead things with a stick.
Bryan Austin
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Bryan Austin »

Rimfire McNutjob wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 10:49 am Is that a semi-balloon head?

I thought a full balloon head actually had a folded rim with powder space there as well. I'm a bit too young to have ever opened one up though.

Really enjoyed the videos.
The names start getting long and confusing sometimes.
#4 Solid-Head, Semi-Balloon Pocket
download (3).jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Bryan Austin
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Bryan Austin »

Website and Google docs has been updated to reflect three new tests

The 44-40 Google Docs "Pressure" Page has been updated to reflect the 3 new tests 1A, 2A&2B (re-tests for "control"), and test 90. I also updated a few other items by including the 1917 WRA data and highlighting Lyman's max loads that were previously tested. I will update other items as well as dates etc. the week of the 20th.

44-40 Chamber Pressure Test Results Update https://sites.google.com/view/44winches ... re-testing
Bryan Austin
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Bryan Austin »

There is just too much information for me to repost it all here, especially since there is only a link for photographs.

For those that are somewhat following the progress, I have updated the Pressure Testing page of the 44-40 website with a large selection of test result charts to compare.

The test results prove that early smokeless powders used by Winchester produced less pressures than original black powder loads. They also prove that the 44-40 ballistics was greatly reduced by the 1970's.

Black powders of today create less pressure than those of the originals and sends the wrong message about pressure comparisons for modern smokeless loads.

I have created a 44-40 Pressure Timeline for those interested.

I have also updated the 44-40 google docs pages with the Recent Pressure Test Results, also for those interested in understanding the myths of this cartridge's performance of yesteryear vs today.

If you visit the google docs page, make sure you look at all of the data by select all of the tabs at the bottom of the chart window.