No...5/4 isn't "May the Forth be with you" Star Wars day....

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

No...5/4 isn't "May the Forth be with you" Star Wars day....

Post by AJMD429 »

It's "Take Five" day....

https://youtu.be/PHdU5sHigYQ

Classic Dave Brubeck....and one of the few "5/4" rhythm songs out there... 8)
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
1894cfan
Senior Levergunner

Re: No...5/4 isn't "May the Forth be with you" Star Wars day....

Post by 1894cfan »

:mrgreen: always did like that tune!
CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

Doc, I had to look up what a 5/4 beat sounds like. It can be done various ways apparently.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=

One of my all time favorite tunes is "Apocalypse in 9/8ths" by Genesis. Only song I have come across in that beat. In the beginning, it sounds like a random beat, until I studied it and saw that it did in fact have a pattern. The way Genesis used it (this is vintage stuff when Peter Gabriel was still in the group and Phil Collins on drums) it goes like this:

1,2,3-Pop-1,2-Pop-1-Pop.

One of the commentator's put it like this, and I hear it now that I listen to it again:

"This performance is the definition of ordered chaos. Drums and guitars locked together in 9/8 with keyboard solo in 4/4, and Collins increases the chaos with ever more syncopation as the track progresses, building the tension until the two alternate rhythms come together again after 36 bars. What a ride!"

Tony Banks keyboard solo is off the charts in this song. Keep in mind these youths were all about 22 years old at the time. Twenty two years old! This is a real "high water mark" in progressive rock and always will be. I have a Rino boxed set Genesis 1970-1975 that gives me chills and almost makes me wet my pants when I listen to these old songs mixed into a high resolution 5 channel and the set now is worth a whole lot of money as it is out of print. What these guys did in the 70's has no peer although there is some good "Yes" stuff, and from some other progressive rock groups that I haven't listened to in a while, but are still inspiring. But the dynamic range used by early Genesis starting with delicate guitar and flute, and increasing to its crescendo is more like a classical music piece, and not something you would expect to see in a "rock piece" yet Genesis did this all the time in its early years. Here's a better resolution version of the song. Progressive rock at its finest.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PFKQx7AlNik

Ginger Baker also did some really neat drumming stuff, but he was a "hot head" and not easy to work with.

-Tutt
"It ain't dead! As long as there's ONE COWBOY taking care of ONE COW, it ain't dead!!!" (the Cowboy Way)
-Monte Walsh (Selleck version)

"These battered wings still kick up dust." -Peter Gabriel
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Thanks Tutt; I never 'got into' Genesis, but clearly should have given my music taste and age. Odd how those gaps happen.

Here's a keyboard-only of that that I found interesting, though obviously not having the electricity of the full band

https://youtu.be/_IPUs0Aq-zo

You are right about how many of those super young people were so talented and yet often just got blown off as a bunch of long-haired weird ocean made noisy music.

Here's a rhythm analysis of Pink Floyd's "Money"

https://youtu.be/_IPUs0Aq-zo
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

Doc, the "Money" link did not work out but look forward to seeing it. Long term "progressive rock and roller here". Always have enjoyed Pink Floyd too. Regards my Friend!
-Tutt
"It ain't dead! As long as there's ONE COWBOY taking care of ONE COW, it ain't dead!!!" (the Cowboy Way)
-Monte Walsh (Selleck version)

"These battered wings still kick up dust." -Peter Gabriel