#4buck.

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

#4buck.

Post by Nath »

No one mentions buckshot in the UK very often but seeing I have a few lbs of #4buck and Alliant Herco I thought I would have a go.

I failed to remember to photograph the pattern tonight but its looking good so far. Certainly fox capable at 40yds.

It's a simple load of 27 #4buck on fibre and nitro cards burning 25gns of Alliant Herco.
It seems I have to see little to no rib with buckshot and slugs compared to birdshot, I can not figure that out

The photo taken by a friend was pulled from a video he took.
At half speed you can see the full cycle of the long recoil action.

In the photo the barrel has returned to battery and has just ejected the case. The shell lifter has not lifted the next cartridge yet and released the bolt although I can just see the next cartridge (dark blue) about to be lifted.
IMG-20220504-WA0002.jpg
N.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

Re: #4buck.

Post by Scott Tschirhart »

Great photo.
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Tycer »

Excellent.
Not that it helps you much but #4 buck has tested out to be an outstanding self defense load.
Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

I load a fair amount of buck everything from 000000 down to #3 . Can’t say I’ve ever been fond of #4 , there are however plenty folks around here that like it for deer in front of dogs as well as the aforementioned self defense .
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !
jmiller
Levergunner 2.0

Post by jmiller »

Remington 3” 12ga
41 pellets of .24” diameter pellets. Like shooting 41 .22lr shells at one time. Use a 3 1/2” and it’s like shooting the whole box! What’s not to like?
1894cfan
Senior Levergunner

Post by 1894cfan »

jmiller wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 9:50 pm Remington 3” 12ga
41 pellets of .24” diameter pellets. Like shooting 41 .22lr shells at one time. Use a 3 1/2” and it’s like shooting the whole box! What’s not to like?
:mrgreen:
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

jmiller wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 9:50 pm Remington 3” 12ga
:D
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

In my 10g muzzleloader I tip 40 count in it. It rattles the fillings but is pretty effective!
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

#4 buck.

Post by vancelw »

#4 buckshot is a GREAT choice for using on coyotes, called in under the moonlight.
"Make yourself an honest man, and then you may be sure that there is one less scoundrel in the world." - Thomas Carlyle
AmBraCol
Webservant

Post by AmBraCol »

Years ago I bought three guns from a widow lady. Gave her what she was asking for them and we were both happy. She tossed in the ammo that went along with them. The one I wasn't sure about was an old no-name 12 bore singleshot with old cloth electrical tape wrapped around the pistol grip. Found out the reason that was there was to hold it to the frame because the stock bolt was missing for some reason. Anyway, it was an interesting old piece. The ammo for it was a couple boxes of 3" #4 buck loads, with one or two missing from one box. Even though I was young at the time, my mom raised ugly kids, not dumb ones. I went out to the local unofficial range and shot those up out of a friend's Mossberg 500. Even out of that heavier gun they were enough to rattle your teeth. No wonder only one or two were missing from the box!
Paul - in Pereira

"He is the best friend of American liberty who is most sincere and active in promoting true and undefiled religion." -- John Witherspoon

http://www.paulmoreland.com
http://www.pistolpackingpreachers.us
http://www.precisionandina.com
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

AmBraCol wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 8:38 am Years ago I bought three guns from a widow lady. Gave her what she was asking for them and we were both happy. She tossed in the ammo that went along with them. The one I wasn't sure about was an old no-name 12 bore singleshot with old cloth electrical tape wrapped around the pistol grip. Found out the reason that was there was to hold it to the frame because the stock bolt was missing for some reason. Anyway, it was an interesting old piece. The ammo for it was a couple boxes of 3" #4 buck loads, with one or two missing from one box. Even though I was young at the time, my mom raised ugly kids, not dumb ones. I went out to the local unofficial range and shot those up out of a friend's Mossberg 500. Even out of that heavier gun they were enough to rattle your teeth. No wonder only one or two were missing from the box!
:lol:
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

I've used #4 buck for my home defense 20 guage for over 40 years. From my short barrel on my Franchi I patterns great at in house ranges. Used it on a coyote once, it was probably rabid, and the results were impressive.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
yooper2
Levergunner 3.0

Post by yooper2 »

I keep a box of #4 buck handy for night time pest duties. Inside 30 yards from a 3" 12ga i have found it very effective on coyotes and various garden or chicken coop raiders.

Eric
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

yooper2 wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 8:05 pm I keep a box of #4 buck handy for night time pest duties. Inside 30 yards from a 3" 12ga i have found it very effective on coyotes and various garden or chicken coop raiders.
👍

Eric
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
mickbr
Levergunner 3.0

Post by mickbr »

I read about UK buck sizes in the old day. LG which was 6 to the ounce, must have been similar to 000 buck, SG which is about same as OO buck, SSG which is 16 pellets to the ounce which would make it somewhere between no2 and no.3 buck and AAA which is about the same as #4 from memory.
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

mickbr wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 5:34 am I read about UK buck sizes in the old day. LG which was 6 to the ounce, must have been similar to 000 buck, SG which is about same as OO buck, SSG which is 16 pellets to the ounce which would make it somewhere between no2 and no.3 buck and AAA which is about the same as #4 from memory.
LG .36"
SG .33"
SSG .27"
SSSG .24"
AAA .21

#4 buck is around .240 or 6.1mm.

All taken by memory!

Just checked and did some editing.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

I have used Spec.SG and AAA on Roe deer at about 35 yds dropped them where they stood. I was impressed with the way that buckshot performed not so the OO buck I used on a feral cat, it laughed at the lack of pattern and almost ran between my feet .. :lol:
If more men loved and cherished their wives as much as I love bacon the world would be a much better place.
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

gamekeeper wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 2:46 pm I have used Spec.SG and AAA on Roe deer at about 35 yds dropped them where they stood. I was impressed with the way that buckshot performed not so the OO buck I used on a feral cat, it laughed at the lack of pattern and almost ran between my feet .. :lol:
:lol:
Regarding the deer. Many folk underestimate the accumulative effect of multiple hits from shotgun loads despite low so called energy values!
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
buckeyeshooter
Senior Levergunner

Post by buckeyeshooter »

In the late 80's, I lived in Alabama and hunted with a coworkers brother in law about every weekend I could get away. He liked to hunt deer with a pack of hounds through a swamp on the plantation. I was always told to bring a shotgun and a rifle as maybe I would be in a blind or posted in a peanut field near the swamp. I used this double barrel 10 gauge with #4 buck and shot the deer, just the same as rabbit hunting as a boy on the farm in Kentucky. I waited for the deer to clear the water and get in the open, check carefully to be positive there were no dogs close, then lead and aim for the eye. The number 4 buck dropped them just like a rabbit up to 45 yards. I never shot over that as my shotgun had no choke and the pattern started spreading too much at longer than that. The 3.5 10 holds 54 pellets of number 4 buck (a12 gauge holds 24 pellets of #4 buck in the standard load).
10gadoublebbl001.jpg

If you break in the house, I will be greeting you with this shotgun.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

buckeyeshooter wrote: Sat May 07, 2022 1:11 am In the late 80's, I lived in Alabama and hunted with a coworkers brother in law about every weekend I could get away. He liked to hunt deer with a pack of hounds through a swamp on the plantation. I was always told to bring a shotgun and a rifle as maybe I would be in a blind or posted in a peanut field near the swamp. I used this double barrel 10 gauge with #4 buck and shot the deer, just the same as rabbit hunting as a boy on the farm in Kentucky. I waited for the deer to clear the water and get in the open, check carefully to be positive there were no dogs close, then lead and aim for the eye. The number 4 buck dropped them just like a rabbit up to 45 yards. I never shot over that as my shotgun had no choke and the pattern started spreading too much at longer than that. The 3.5 10 holds 54 pellets of number 4 buck (a12 gauge holds 24 pellets of #4 buck in the standard load).10gadoublebbl001.jpg

Good times.

I thought a standard 12g #4 buckshot count is 27, a standard load being 1&1/8oz??
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
1894cfan
Senior Levergunner

Post by 1894cfan »

Said it before and I'll say it again...SAY HELLO TO MY LITTLE FRIEND! :mrgreen:

That locked door wasn't for my protection...it was for yours! :o :evil:
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

16519191104122963779050228906583.jpg
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

When I worked for the Dept. of Corrections we were issued 2 3/4" 12 ga. Number 4 buckshot as our carry load in the Remington 870's. It worked quite well and the prison population were quite respectful of it.
buckeyeshooter
Senior Levergunner

Post by buckeyeshooter »

Nath wrote: Sat May 07, 2022 2:02 am
buckeyeshooter wrote: Sat May 07, 2022 1:11 am In the late 80's, I lived in Alabama and hunted with a coworkers brother in law about every weekend I could get away. He liked to hunt deer with a pack of hounds through a swamp on the plantation. I was always told to bring a shotgun and a rifle as maybe I would be in a blind or posted in a peanut field near the swamp. I used this double barrel 10 gauge with #4 buck and shot the deer, just the same as rabbit hunting as a boy on the farm in Kentucky. I waited for the deer to clear the water and get in the open, check carefully to be positive there were no dogs close, then lead and aim for the eye. The number 4 buck dropped them just like a rabbit up to 45 yards. I never shot over that as my shotgun had no choke and the pattern started spreading too much at longer than that. The 3.5 10 holds 54 pellets of number 4 buck (a12 gauge holds 24 pellets of #4 buck in the standard load).10gadoublebbl001.jpg

Good times.

I thought a standard 12g #4 buckshot count is 27, a standard load being 1&1/8oz??
yep, mistype!
mickbr
Levergunner 3.0

Post by mickbr »

Nath wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 8:49 am
mickbr wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 5:34 am I read about UK buck sizes in the old day. LG which was 6 to the ounce, must have been similar to 000 buck, SG which is about same as OO buck, SSG which is 16 pellets to the ounce which would make it somewhere between no2 and no.3 buck and AAA which is about the same as #4 from memory.
LG .36"
SG .33"
SSG .27"
SSSG .24"
AAA .21

#4 buck is around .240 or 6.1mm.

All taken by memory!

Just checked and did some editing.
Thanks Nath I didnt recall SSSG.
.24 is close to #3 buck.
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Being in a shotgun state I have probably killed more deer with buckshot than slugs.
If im hunting from a tree ill drop a 3" 4 buck down the pipe and then 3" 00 in the mag of my Benelli. Or if its my 870 it only eats 2&³/⁴.
4 buck works well on calm deer, I've used the 870 with my slightly modified 30" full choke to keep a 27 pellet load in the vitals at 40 yards. Yes that much buckshot causes shoulders to head right for the grinder!
I much prefer 00 for driven deer just for pellet diameter.
00 has worked very well from the 870, ported barrel honed choke , shoots fantastic patterns out to 50 yards. Yes honestly killed deer at 50+ yards.
The M1Super90 wears a 28" barrel with a Carlson(?) Ported choke that adores Federal 3" 00- NOT flite control, and produces great patterns. It likes 1 buck as well.
Next to try is 4 buck in my 28 ga( for kicks) , 14 pellets fit in the wad with buffer.
000 is good out of the 410. With a plastic wad 3 peices of 000 stay tight quite a ways from a skeet choke. ( 410s are generally over choked!)
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

GunnyMack wrote: Sun May 08, 2022 3:57 pm Being in a shotgun state I have probably killed more deer with buckshot than slugs.
If im hunting from a tree ill drop a 3" 4 buck down the pipe and then 3" 00 in the mag of my Benelli. Or if its my 870 it only eats 2&³/⁴.
4 buck works well on calm deer, I've used the 870 with my slightly modified 30" full choke to keep a 27 pellet load in the vitals at 40 yards. Yes that much buckshot causes shoulders to head right for the grinder!
I much prefer 00 for driven deer just for pellet diameter.
00 has worked very well from the 870, ported barrel honed choke , shoots fantastic patterns out to 50 yards. Yes honestly killed deer at 50+ yards.
The M1Super90 wears a 28" barrel with a Carlson(?) Ported choke that adores Federal 3" 00- NOT flite control, and produces great patterns. It likes 1 buck as well.
Next to try is 4 buck in my 28 ga( for kicks) , 14 pellets fit in the wad with buffer.
000 is good out of the 410. With a plastic wad 3 peices of 000 stay tight quite a ways from a skeet choke. ( 410s are generally over choked!)
👍
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

Interestingly, I have a .410 for my jeep gun. I’ve keep a variety of shot sizes and a few slugs on hand. I’ve never tried 000 buck but do have some 00 buck.

I pretty much have everything from bunnies to birds to bears covered. Well small bears anyway.

The most dangerous thing I’ve ever faced while boondocking walked on two legs. I’m pretty sure a .410 slug is head and shoulders above a .22 lr out of my AR-7.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

jeepnik wrote: Mon May 09, 2022 2:03 am Interestingly, I have a .410 for my jeep gun. I’ve keep a variety of shot sizes and a few slugs on hand. I’ve never tried 000 buck but do have some 00 buck.

I pretty much have everything from bunnies to birds to bears covered. Well small bears anyway.

The most dangerous thing I’ve ever faced while boondocking walked on two legs. I’m pretty sure a .410 slug is head and shoulders above a .22 lr out of my AR-7.
I do have a 45 muzzleloaser. Smoothbore and it is very effective with 5x .36" ball, 000buck.
20220219_134613.jpg
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
Sarge
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Sarge »

000 Buck is a beast from a 12 gauge. I intend to eventually replace my pile of 00 with 000, if and when the US ammo marker stabilizes. A couple of the copshops I worked for issued #4 buck for awhile. OK on unobstructed shot on perps, not so great if they were in autos etc. Most of them went back to 00. Here's a pretty informative video on the effect of various shot sizes on ballistic gel-

https://youtu.be/rhZf_x8Esms

One of the tightest shooting shotguns I ever owned was an old 870 Wingmaster with the factory, fixed full choke barrel.
People were smarter before the Internet, or imbeciles were harder to notice.
gcs
Levergunner 3.0

Post by gcs »

Did some research on this and quite a few "experts" recommended #1 buck for anti personal rounds. Better penetration of heavy clothing then #4, less penetration in houses and less risk down range then OO...

I could never get buckshot to pattern well in any of my guns, but a friend of mine has an old Browning that shoots OO like a laser...He's killed deer to what I consider NOT buckshot distances, and a lot of them....
EdinCT
Levergunner 3.0

Post by EdinCT »

We used 4 buck on the farm for roving dogs in the sheep and I have to say it worked well inside of 50 yards. I remember one that looked like it was hit by full auto fire when I was burying it. I have considered it for coyotes and bought a Carlsens choke and am impressed with shot patterns at 50 yards.
Sarge
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Sarge »

Good info on the Carlsen tubes, Ed. We've got a couple Mossberg 930s here, which are good beater gas shotguns. Their choke tubes run about a half-choke under what they are marked and patterning reflects that.
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

I tried some Herco today. But also I found a few plastic wads I had saved from scavenging TM shot from for a goose hunt with my 10g muzzleloader.
Here is a picture.
20210901_204734.jpg
Shot #1 @ 40yds got me 10 pellets on paper roughly the size of a kill zone on a deer. I thought that was good.
20220528_142706.jpg
Shot #2 increased the new total to 23 shot on paper and shot #3 boosted pellet count to 33.
20220528_143421.jpg
Looks like I can consistently get 10 or more pellets of #4buck in a deers vital at 40yds easy.
I'm thinking that should be enough.
N.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Tighten up your choke( if you can)- ive found 4 buck does very well out of a full choke.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

GunnyMack wrote: Sat May 28, 2022 2:53 pm Tighten up your choke( if you can)- ive found 4 buck does very well out of a full choke.
Fixed tight mod choke friend.
I tried some other loads of #4 buck in a full choked gun and yes they were tighter grouped. The gun however shot very high but that maybe a velocity issue. I should revisit with an increased velocity cartridge like these I tested yesterday.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

The rule has always been the smaller the buck size the tighter the choke that’ll work . And it’s a pretty decent rule of thumb . Still it’s best to try whatever size you’re thinking of . I’ve put far more effort into loading and shooting 10 gauge 2 7/8” than all the other gauges put together . And all but two of my 10 doubles are choked tighter and tighter yet , with these tight guns I’ve tested and used up to 00000 buck that’s .398” roundballs and it works very well . Granted my parameters are inside 25-30 yards . Might also be worth noting all those 10 gauge are handloads . In the 12 handloads I only used 0 and #1 . In 12 ga 3” factory loads I’ve used 000 , 00 and #1 again with excellent success on deer in my short barreled Benelli Montefeltro with Buckicker chokes . In the 16 I’ve loaded 0 and 1 again with very nice results . In the 20 2 3/4” I load 1 , 2 and 3 so far I’ve not plunked a deer with a 20 using buck . Recently got a Browning A-5 20 MAG and already had some factory 3” #2 loads . I even gone so far as loading buck for my Parker 28 gauge again 1 , 2 and 3 but haven’t tried on a deer yet . FWIW I’ve used 000000 buck (.415” roundball) in my 8 gauge and as you might expect it’s rather devastating on a deer , incidentally this gun was ordered about 1906 and on the order they specified the gun should shoot buckshot close although I expect that was meant for 00 certainly not the stuff I’ve been using .
Sarge
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Sarge »

Great post 6pt-sika.
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

I've just received 50 20ga Thug Slugs from Ballistic Products. Need to work up a load and try them on deer from my Savage 220. ( it shoots the Remington Accuslugs very well but ya cant find them, if I can im going to buy a case if & when Remington starts producing again.)
Also need to try my 28ga 4 buck load.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

Good info 6pt sika.

Funnily enough I did try some .457 ball in a 12g muzzleloader.
I forget how many I loaded, probably 6 or 8. They worked surprisingly well!
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

Nath wrote: Sun May 29, 2022 8:33 am Good info 6pt sika.

Funnily enough I did try some .457 ball in a 12g muzzleloader.
I forget how many I loaded, probably 6 or 8. They worked surprisingly well!
Interestingly I’ve purchased five roundball molds from the Tanner’s in your country ! Two of the .415” molds for buckshot and .775” , .785” and .795” for punkin balls in the 8 gauge .
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

GunnyMack wrote: Sun May 29, 2022 5:29 am I've just received 50 20ga Thug Slugs from Ballistic Products. Need to work up a load and try them on deer from my Savage 220. ( it shoots the Remington Accuslugs very well but ya cant find them, if I can im going to buy a case if & when Remington starts producing again.)
Also need to try my 28ga 4 buck load.
I laid in a pretty decent supply of the Remington 20 gauge 2 3/4” AccuTip slugs a couple years ago as well as the same thing for the 12 gauge .
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

I have quite a few 20 ga old foster slugs on hand. While out classed by newer slugs for hunting they would still work just fine for social work.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"