35 rem marlin

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
mickbr
Levergunner 3.0

35 rem marlin

Post by mickbr »

anyone running a 35 rem fellas? Any experiences to share? I was wondering how this stacks up to 30-30, Im assuming its 'more gun'.
piller
Posting leader...

Re: 35 rem marlin

Post by piller »

Got one. Used it on pigs a couple of times. It has more power than the 30-30, but it is not a gigantic step up. For one rifle to do all from coyotes to black bear and everything in between, it is quite capable.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
Sarge
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Sarge »

Another 35 shooter here. I've only killed one deer with it compared to 6-7 with the 30-30, but the 35 swatted that one real good.

The 30-30's max pressure is about 8500 PSI above the 35 Remington and as noted in Metallic Cartridge Reloading, 35 Remington factory ammo often skirts that cartridge's MAP 'by an unusually wide margin'. But the 35 does its work via 30+% more bullet weight and a larger bore, and it does it real well. I love the old cartridge and it's about the only bottle-neck I shoot and reload for, these days.
People were smarter before the Internet, or imbeciles were harder to notice.
El Chivo
Advanced Levergunner

Post by El Chivo »

I have one, it's my favorite overall

my best load is with (IMR?) 3031 which seems to be an uncommon powder for it

and Hornady bullets

the factory Remington load is good too

what I heard about the pressures is that there was a common 35 Rem gun out there that couldn't take higher pressures. so the manuals keep it low. But the Marlin 336 can take pressures similar to the 30-30. Either way it's best as a shorter range axe, the bullet loses energy faster than a 30-30 170 gr. I liked to have as a defensive weapon.
"I'll tell you what living is. You get up when you feel like it. You fry yourself some eggs. You see what kind of a day it is."
Sarge
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Sarge »

I'm running the 35 just under 40,000 (Quickload) in an old Ballard rifled 20" 336 and getting 2150 fps with the Sierra 200 grain Pro Hunter. By comparison the 200 grain FTX® LEVERevolution® factory loads does about 2050 from my rifle. To 300 yards (the farthest distance I would pester a coyote) I can't tell any difference between the loads, using irons. I have a good pile of the Sierra reload and that's what I hunt with; so that's what I'm using for field position shooting at various ranges.

The Sierra expands and holds together well in water jugs up close-

5 gallon buckets at 200 yards were pretty hard on bullets that caught the side of a bucket. The bullet to the right centered them and penetrated two-
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Found my early 336A in the middle of the jacketed bullet crunch, so I am only playing with it with the Lee 200-grain cast. And I am not playing with it very much as it is suffering from Marlin jam, and I am sending the carrier/lifter back to Nate Kiowa Jones for a second tweak, bless his heart.
stretch
Advanced Levergunner

Post by stretch »

An excellent combination. :)

Mine's quite accurate with the old Remington 200gr. CoreLokt factory load.
(I still have a couple of hundred of these, I think.)

You'll need nothing else for Eastern hunting or hogs.

Antelope and like that, something with a flatter trajectory for sure.

I'd feel more comfortable with something bigger for Grizzly, but people
have done the job with less.

-Stretch
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Never having been in Grizzly bear territory, I would probably take something with more power. That is just me. As far as wild pigs of 200 pounds or less, it is just fine so far.
D. Brian Casady
FLINT
Levergunner 3.0

Post by FLINT »

I've got a 1969 Marlin 336 in 35 Rem and I really like it. Very smooth and accurate. Seems to thump a little harder than the 30-30. I've killed a couple deer with it. I'd probably pick it over the 30-30 for black bear.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

I haven't shot mine as much as I should have, for lack of time, but it is certainly as smooth and easy to shoot as a 30-30, and I really can't tell any recoil difference. Accuracy seems to be just as good and I'm sure with very far more with the load and whatever sites I put on the gun than anything else.

As far as ballistics, as everybody else has said it is a bigger bullet in both diameter and weight so it's a little harder. You would need to get familiar with your load and be good at ranging your targets if you get very far out, but that's not all that different than the 30-30 in principle (it just starts to get noticeable a few yards sooner). You just need to figure out where your gun/load hits and how far out the target is. The only way to avoid that is to shoot super fast bullets with high ballistic coefficients, and that's generally not going to happen in a tubular magazine lever action, although the gummy tip bullets push the envelope a little bit.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
mickbr
Levergunner 3.0

Post by mickbr »

Does a 357 and 35 rem lever combo make sense fellas as in adding to the game options or does the 35 just do the same thing better?
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

Never see this cartridge in the UK but I have always thought that it would be perfect for most deer hunting done over here. Its a great shame really.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

357 Mag pretty darn good but less power so same diameter bullets either gonna be significantly lighter (avg 160 gr top 180 gr vs avg 180 gr top 220 gr ???) or slower. STILL good for whitetail out to 100 yards or so.

357 Mag guns are in the Marlin 1894 action and often WAY more compact carbines vs heavier longer rifles needed for the 35 Rem (Marlin 336 action). Winchester would be 1892 and 1894 respectively.

Some wildcat cartridges bridge the gap by necking down 44 Mag (fatter short-action cartridge so more powder) to 357.

They all work, and all are fun and all are worth considering.

Leverguns are addicting so eventually you'll wind up with both, plus a couple 30-30's, a 375 Win, a 45 Colt, 44 Mag, 32-20, 44-40, 38-40, 32-40, 25-20, 25-35, 218 Bee, 444 Marlin, and 45-70... :D
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

stretch
Advanced Levergunner

Post by stretch »

Leverguns are addicting so eventually you'll wind up with both.....
Were truer words ever spoken?!? :lol:

Don't forget the 41 Mag, 22lr, and maybe a couple of wildcats.

-Stretch
Sarge
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Sarge »

mickbr wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 4:06 am Does a 357 and 35 rem lever combo make sense fellas as in adding to the game options or does the 35 just do the same thing better?
In pure horsepower, the 35 picks up where the 357 leaves off. My old 16" Rossi 357 would do 1430 fps with the heaviest load in my stash, Alaska Backpacker 200 grain LBT. My 20" 35 Remington will outrun it by 700 fps using the aforementioned 200 grain Sierra load.

Last November I was looking over my irons, in fading light, at a quartering-in doe at 130 yards. The 35 flattened her and never broke a sweat.
mickbr
Levergunner 3.0

Post by mickbr »

700fps is a decent jump
FLINT
Levergunner 3.0

Post by FLINT »

I have marlin 336s in both 30-30 and 35 rem and I think the 35 rem does kick more. Not a ton, but a little more. Could be because I only shoot 150gr in the 30-30 and 200 gr in the 35.
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

That does make a little difference.
D. Brian Casady
Sarge
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Sarge »

A 357 carbine has its own charm for reasons obvious to this group. One of my favorite 357 loads was Federal’s old 357A* a 158 grain 357 jacketed softpoint which averaged 1729 fps from a 16” Rossi- more than adequate for deer at wood ranges.

* I think this is now in the American Eagle line.
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

If you had to limit your number of guns, a levergun in . 357 Mag and one in . 35 Remington would probably cover a lot of possible situations.

Not saying that there are perfect calibers or that I would be against buying a firearm just because I want it.
D. Brian Casady
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

piller wrote: Sat May 07, 2022 11:16 am If you had to limit your number of guns, a levergun in . 357 Mag and one in . 35 Remington would probably cover a lot of possible situations.

Not saying that there are perfect calibers or that I would be against buying a firearm just because I want it.
I've got the usual 'spectrum' of mostly-modern-cartridge leverguns.... 22 LR, 218 BEE, 32-20, 30-30, 357, 35 Rem, 375 Win, 44 Mag, 444 Marlin, 45 Colt, 454 Casull, 45-70, and 500 S&W.... and often wonder what 'coverage' of all-needs one could get with the fewest guns. I think I'd HAVE to include either 357 Mag or 32-20, and I suppose I'd cap the top with the 500 S&W, the bottom with 22 LR, then split the upper end difference with something (although a mouse-load from the 500 and a hot 357 Mag load wouldn't have much gap other than trajectory issues since both are rainbow).

The 'something' could be 35 Rem, 30-30, 375 Win, or maybe even 444 Marlin. I guess having to choose the fourth levergun chambering to round things out is one of those 'first-world problems' we wrestle with thanks to capitalism and our amazing constitutional republic.

I think I'd leave off the 444, as it can't do much the 500 can't, and of the other three I'd see which shot flattest with a reasonable hunting load.

piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

:lol: Seems as if we cannot fight the wanting to get more leverguns.
D. Brian Casady
Sarge
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Sarge »

piller wrote: Sat May 07, 2022 1:35 pm :lol: Seems as if we cannot fight the wanting to get more leverguns.
Inflation and the scalper's moon are doing their best to help us resist.
kaschi
Levergunner 3.0

Post by kaschi »

For those of you shooting 35 Remington in a 336, how do you find the reliability considering the fact that it's a rimless case? I'm not in the know as to how the 336 internals are set up to function with both rimmed and rimless cases. Someone a little further up in this thread mentioned the "Marlin jam" which caught my attention.
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Being a bottle neck case, it has been reliable for me.
D. Brian Casady
Sarge
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Sarge »

kaschi wrote: Sat May 07, 2022 10:09 pm For those of you shooting 35 Remington in a 336, how do you find the reliability considering the fact that it's a rimless case? I'm not in the know as to how the 336 internals are set up to function with both rimmed and rimless cases. Someone a little further up in this thread mentioned the "Marlin jam" which caught my attention.
This old 35 Texan is the smoothest operating and most accurate Marlin I've ever owned. I love the old rifle but if it ever does the 'Marlin Jam' you may rest assured I will fix it and send it down the road. I've got no time for bad guns, women dogs or horses.
mickbr
Levergunner 3.0

Post by mickbr »

largest game you would take with a 35 rem fellas?
Sarge
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Sarge »

I'd like to take this one to the Northwoods and shoot a moose, which is some mighty fine eating. I need to order some Hawk 225s and get to work on a load.

FLINT
Levergunner 3.0

Post by FLINT »

kaschi wrote: Sat May 07, 2022 10:09 pm For those of you shooting 35 Remington in a 336, how do you find the reliability considering the fact that it's a rimless case? I'm not in the know as to how the 336 internals are set up to function with both rimmed and rimless cases. Someone a little further up in this thread mentioned the "Marlin jam" which caught my attention.
I've never had a problem of any kind with my 336 35rem. very smooth.

Biggest game? being in the east, probably a black bear. I doubt I'll ever have the time or money for a moose hunt. If I did I'd probably use a 30-06 (although if we are fantasizing, then I'd use a 348 Win. which I'm equally not likely to ever acquire).
No doubt the 35 would take a moose though.
Sarge
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Sarge »

As nearly as I can tell, the 30-30 and 35 Remington 336 use the same bolt. I like to keep a spare extractor on hand and when I ordered one, I discovered they use the same extractor. I've had them in both calibers and it works.

ETA: Mooses? No sweat. I'll just hunt up an old box of Silvertips, which are good for even Gristley Bears!

JFE
Levergunner 2.0

Post by JFE »

I have a Marlin in 35Rem. I originally bought it to convert to 358Win as cases are so hard to find here. Anyhow I acquired enough cases to get me going. As mentioned it is under loaded at the factory for use in a Marlin. However, top end loads close the gap on 356/358 ballistics, enough to make me reconsider the conversion. I have been pushing 250gr cast pills out at around 2000fps.