Time to open up the cabin for the summer

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Time to open up the cabin for the summer

Post by 2ndovc »

I had a couple of new ins. claims in North West PA that put me within an hour and a half of our cabin. Loaded up the truck with a couple of shooters and a dog and we were off.

Took along the Russian SKS I picked up a couple months ago and a barely used Cimarron Thunderer in .44 Special. Those two along with the other constant companions, Bowen SBH, S&W M&P 9mm and the Mossberg Shockwave that rides in my truck 99% of the time.

Bandit was ready for another adventure.
Just starting to turn green up there
The Cimarron is a Keeper! I had three different boxes of .44s to try out.
I've had his box of Remington 246 LRN for at least 20 years. The Thunderer much prefers the slow, heavy bullets.
The handloads I had along were far too fast and all over the place. They shoot well in the SBH however.

We have a big list of improvements to make this year. The kitchen T&G flooring is getting soft and will have to be cut out and replaced.
New roof as well. Just about every other camp along our road has gone to a metal roof. Gong to have to track down some guys for that one. Just can't do that roofing stuff anymore.
Another project that I'm going to have to do so my 81 year old dad, and me eventually, is replace or rebuild the steps up the little hill.
The hemlock trees on either side of walk and stairs have heaved them up and out of place to the point that they're getting dangerous.

Nice, quiet couple of days. :D

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
Drawdown
Levergunner 3.0

Re: Time to open up the cabin for the summer

Post by Drawdown »

Looks like 👍 the perfect get-a-way place! We had one very similar in Tenn from 1970-about2000. On a hill, and we'd cut small pines, lay em long ways with small sections nailed in between for steps, put a little dirt & gravel in for steps.
"Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life"

"Better drawdown Alvin!"
"If you gotta shoot, shoot don't talk"
Conservative since day one and until the last!
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Looks sweet! :mrgreen:

Jason, how do you like the Shockwave?
Swagman
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Swagman »

Nice looking cabin and country (like your toys and co-driver as well!) Here's a picture of my mobile cabin at the Hill End Winter Muster.

Cheers
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Rockrat
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Rockrat »

Was up in your neck of the woods, recently, kind of. Penn side not to far from Erie Beautiful country. Did get snowed on a bit.
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Looks like fun. We have already had a couple of days over 90 degrees here. Mowed the lawn twice already.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

2ndovc wrote: Tue May 03, 2022 7:13 pm I had a couple of new ins. claims in North West PA that put me within an hour and a half of our cabin.
Nice. Are you a claims adjuster? Only asking as that is my vocation, but havent been up to that part of the country since H'cane Sandy
----- Doug
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

Streetstar wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 12:48 pm
2ndovc wrote: Tue May 03, 2022 7:13 pm I had a couple of new ins. claims in North West PA that put me within an hour and a half of our cabin.
Nice. Are you a claims adjuster? Only asking as that is my vocation, but havent been up to that part of the country since H'cane Sandy
I am. I was a contractor for 30 years when the company I work for tracked me down. They needed a property guy that knew how to build/ rebuild things and knew Xact. It has it's moments, but compared to what I used to do, it's a heck of a lot less stress. :D

jb 8)

2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

Ysabel Kid wrote: Tue May 03, 2022 7:43 pm Looks sweet! :mrgreen:

Jason, how do you like the Shockwave?
I love that thing. For me, it perfect for what I needed. Short, light and quick to deploy. There's been a couple of times on the east side of Cleve. that it's been quite reassuring to have it along. I did have to put a rubber sleeve on the grip, otherwise the recoil would slide my hand up the grip to the safety.

jb 8)

Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Scott Tschirhart »

Looks like you are well armed and I love seeing these annual photos.

Bandit looks ready!

Nothing wrong with the heavy slower .44 Special loads. They work really well.
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

Thanks Scott! I always wonder if anyone likes seeing this stuff. I know I get a real kick out of posts that show bits and pieces of the guys hometowns, camps, boats, dogs etc.

I've learned over the 50+ years the place has been in our family that being armed up there is a necessity. In all those years, I've only had one run in with an animal that required a shout to be fired, and that was just a couple of years ago. All of the other "altercations" have been with the two legged animal types. The area seems to attract some real wackos.

jb

Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

You have a really specially beautiful space there, with the picture perfect cabin. Love seeing this.