Hornady Brass?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Mainehunter
Senior Levergunner

Hornady Brass?

Post by Mainehunter »

I'm starting to collect dies and such for my 35 Whelen project. Looking for brass and the only thing that's available now is Hornady. Haven't used their brass but what's your take on them? Thanx!

Mainehunter
1894cfan
Senior Levergunner

Re: Hornady Brass?

Post by 1894cfan »

Never bought any, but have some 30/30 range pickup that's pretty good. Reloaded 2-3 times with 34.5gr 748 with 150gr FNSPs with no problems. HTH
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Scott Tschirhart »

Hornady brass is very good.
High Desert Hunter
Levergunner 1.0

Post by High Desert Hunter »

I bout a 375 Ruger a bit ago, Hornady brass is the only brand available, and it has held up well to magnum pressures.

Dave
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

I have used thousands of pcs. of Hornady brass for years, and the quality is as good as it gets. I can honestly say I've never lost a single case so far, even with heavily reworking some brass into other cartridges to make them work in my old rifles.
I've probably got at least a couple thousand Hornady cases in various sizes now.
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Scott Tschirhart wrote: Sun May 01, 2022 8:06 amHornady brass is very good.
That's my take on it as well. Have some in .30-06, .30-30 & 7mm RemMag...
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

Limited use on my part, only in 45 Colt +P, no failures of any kind and appears to be good stuff to me. Probably not on the scale of Lapua or Norma, but certainly I think on the scale of Starline. -Tutt
"It ain't dead! As long as there's ONE COWBOY taking care of ONE COW, it ain't dead!!!" (the Cowboy Way)
-Monte Walsh (Selleck version)

"These battered wings still kick up dust." -Peter Gabriel
Trailboss
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Trailboss »

Griff wrote: Sun May 01, 2022 2:06 pm
Scott Tschirhart wrote: Sun May 01, 2022 8:06 amHornady brass is very good.
That's my take on it as well. Have some in .30-06, .30-30 & 7mm RemMag...
+1
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

I am sure most of the folks on this site know this but I will post it anyway ..... If your loading dies and the chamber you fire the cartridge have close tolerances most any brass cartridge will give you excellent service with loads that do not develop excessive pressure.

Years ago the "common wisdom" was that Remington made the weakest .45 Colt cartridges. There were articles in gun magazines and a lot of talk about the weak Remington .45 Colts. I bought 100 new unfired Remington .45 Colt cartridges and put them in a specially-marked cartridge box. I had a data sheet on the box so i could log each load .. bullet .. powder charge .. primer etc. and also keep track of how many times the cartridges were reloaded and how many failed and when.

I loaded bullet weights of 260 gr. and 300 gr. with heavy loads and fired them in my Linebaugh-built Ruger Blackhawk. John Linebaugh had rechambered a .44 Magnum cylinder to tight .45 Colt specs in that gun.

I fired and reloaded those cartridges over 20 times before I stopped keep track. By the 21st reloading I had not lost 10%. The ones that I did lose were due to neck cracks from sizing and then neck expanding and crimping. I never had a case crack in body of the case. The neck cracks could have been prevented/delayed if I had annealed them. In those days cases were so cheap it wasn't worth the effort (for me) to anneal them.

Since then .. as far as sixguns go ... I have never worried about what case is "the best." I have never tested rifles but I believe the same would hold true. The less you "work" the case, the longer it will last.
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Scott Tschirhart »

The ONLY issue I have with Hornady brass is that Hornady loads some ammo in the .357 with shorter cases so that they can accommodate certain bullets.

For a man who shoots cast bullets almost exclusively, those short cases show up from time to time and need to be seggregated as they do not receive a uniform crimp.

However, I can use those same cases with the bullets seated a little deeper and they work fine.

This is not a quality issue.
AmBraCol
Webservant

Post by AmBraCol »

Mainehunter wrote: Sun May 01, 2022 5:56 am I'm starting to collect dies and such for my 35 Whelen project. Looking for brass and the only thing that's available now is Hornady. Haven't used their brass but what's your take on them? Thanx!

Mainehunter
I was doing the same last year. The only thing I could find at the time was Nosler. A friend sent me a box of it and it is the most beautiful brass I've ever loaded. I've not used the Hornady in 35 Whelen, but purchased some '06 a few years back. Very decent brass, I used it for some relatively heavy for caliber loads with complete satisfaction. I'd be interested in Hornady 35 Whelen brass if I'd not managed to squirrel away a couple hundred rounds of ammo last year.
Paul - in Pereira

"He is the best friend of American liberty who is most sincere and active in promoting true and undefiled religion." -- John Witherspoon

http://www.paulmoreland.com
http://www.pistolpackingpreachers.us
http://www.precisionandina.com
CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

Jim Taylor wrote
Years ago the "common wisdom" was that Remington made the weakest .45 Colt cartridges.
Jim, I think that happened while I was around. I seem to remember that the Federal cases were considered the strongest for some reason. I had nothing but good luck with the Hornady brass in the 45 Colt, but they were never loaded as many times as your Rem cases. I was enamored with the quality enough to put a 45 Colt Hornady case head into my two custom grips from Carey at CLC Grips for my Ruger Bisley! -Tutt
"It ain't dead! As long as there's ONE COWBOY taking care of ONE COW, it ain't dead!!!" (the Cowboy Way)

Scrumbag
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Scrumbag »

Maybe being a slight contrarian but I've not had good experience with Hornady brass in a couple of chamberings.

Scrummy
CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

These guys are relatively new and make fantastic rifle brass in some unusual cartridges.

https://www.petersoncartridge.com/match-grade-brass/

-Tutt