Buffalo massacre in Oregon

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
earlmck
Advanced Levergunner

Buffalo massacre in Oregon

Post by earlmck »

I spent last weekend shooting buffalo at our local gun range (the steel kind of buffs that you don't have to gut and skin, and where even a hit on the horn counts). We do a "shoot whatever you brung" thing on Thursday for just sighting in and general playing around and then on Friday we shoot "military bolt" where the 6.5 Swede has been awful hard to beat but this time Brownie took first with his old Finnish Nagant and Terry took second with his Springfield '03-A3. Then we do "military single shot" which is mostly trapdoors, where for the first time ever I took first using Swiss 1 1/2 FG and the Lee 405 grain hollow-based bullet. We finished the day with "big levers" which Brownie won with his Marlin 1881 40/60 and I came in second with the Marlin 35 Remington which I used for the first time in this shoot. And we shot our latest addition to the shoots which you other levergunners will appreciate. We call it the "Little Q" and it is for pistol caliber levers shooting the mid range (300 to 600 yards) with the close target shot off-hand. I took the first place with my m92 38/40 which I have shown in previous posts 'cause I've had it for over 40 years and tried a bunch of different loads. The 200 grain Accurate bullet pushed along by 26 grains of RL7 makes it to 600 yards but is maybe starting to fall apart at that range as that was my worst target (2 hits of 8 shots).
win38409650.jpg
Saturday we shoot the buffalo guns: here's a pic of some of the action
422BrownieMakesSmoke.jpg
That's Brownie watching for the "hit" light, using his Stevens 44 in 38/55. He took the first place and I slid in second with my Pedersoli 45/70. We kept this same placement in both the long range (700 to 1000 yards) and the mid range (300 - 600 yards).

Sunday we do a morning shoot on the short range targets (50 to 200 yards) using 22's (vintage or lever), quarter bore (mostly 25/20's of either SS or WCF persuasion) but we'll let a 32/20 in with a wink, and pistol caliber lever. I didn't finish in the money in any event using the little Henry lever 22, Tycer's 32/20, and a Rossi 44mag I'd never tried before (and may not ever again).

"Good time had by all" as you probably already guessed.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
The greatest patriot...
is he who heals the most gullies.
Patrick Henry
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Buffalo massacre in Oregon

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Earl you did some fine shooting there, pard! I miss that range and I miss having a hamburger with you at the Tastee Treet. Good memories. 8)
Question: Which model Trapdoor are you shooting, and if it is an 1884 with the Buffington sights, have you taken any special measures to be able to see them?
Last edited by Bill in Oregon on Thu Apr 28, 2022 1:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Sounds like a good time.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

What a great way to spend your weekend......I'm envious.... :mrgreen:
If more men loved and cherished their wives as much as I love bacon the world would be a much better place.
earlmck
Advanced Levergunner

Post by earlmck »

Bill in Oregon wrote: Thu Apr 28, 2022 11:58 am Earl you did some fine shooting there, pard! I miss that range and I miss having a hamburger with you at the Tastee Treet. Good memories. 8)
Question: Which model Trapdoor are you shooting, and if it is an 1884 with the Buffington sights, have you taken any special measures to be able to see them?
Yeah Bill, the old Tastee Treet survived Covid and is still turning them out. And the BLM has given the range a body blow or two but no knockouts yet.

This trapdoor rifle does have the Buffington sights. I thickened up the front sight a bit with hot-melt glue and use the open sight notch rather than the peep and I'm good to go. At least I can kinda' see them as long as the light is good. Dark overcast day or full sunshine I might be in trouble. That's sure a dang fine sight but needs younger eyeballs to take full advantage of it. Oh yeah, I leave my glasses off when shooting which lets me see the sights fairly well even if the target is fuzzy. But It is a big fuzzy and sometimes there's two of them so life is good.
The greatest patriot...
Patrick Henry
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

Sounds like a lot of fun Earl! And you guys sound like you're dominating the match too!
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Tycer »

Fun!
Did the 92 shoot your loads constantly?
Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Now that just sounds like the funnest thing ever, or at least the funnest thing ever you can do with your clothes on.

I don't know any place that does that kind of shoot around where I live, and unfortunately I don't see any window of time for the near future where I could participate, even without practicing, which would obviously be kind of useful if you wanted to score very well.

Of course the main thing it's fine about those things is just to get together and the fun and the guns and the socializing. Winning is kind of cool if you can do that but just being there is fun.

Haven't done anything like that for a long time, but maybe if life eases up a bit in the next year or two I can find a place and get a chance to do that. Certainly I'm happy to hear that you're able to do it and that is just awesome.

Good shootin' too...!
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Weather musta a been a mite airish? Sounds like a blast... pun intended! I packed my cowboy guns on this trip around the country side hopin' to gete in a match... but it t'wasn't to be! I'll be headed home with clean guns!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
earlmck
Advanced Levergunner

Post by earlmck »

Tycer wrote: Thu Apr 28, 2022 8:36 pm Fun!
Did the 92 shoot your loads constantly?
The gun was shooting fine but at the start I hadn't yet got sight settings for anything but the 50 yard. I wanted to shoot the new baby and so loaned my 25/20 to friend Butch and he took second place which was a good result. By the end of the match I had sight settings to write down but of course lost some ground in the process. But should be better next time!

One of the fellows gave me a box of 300 commercial cast that look like they have the crimp groove in the right place for the 32/20, so they'll be given a try. And I want to try some of my gas checked bullets at some different power levels too. Always good to have something to play with...
The greatest patriot...
Patrick Henry
Catshooter
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Catshooter »

Nice going man. It's fun to just shoot, but it's also fun to place, ain't it. I miss our Lever Action Silly wet. I still have my match rifle but haven't shot it since the range closed.
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Catshooter, what would it take for you and fellow local shooters to resurrect the lever Sillywet match at your range?
Same problem here -- and hate to see all those steel targets just collecting rattlesnakes and tumbleweed. These and other matches folded before I got here five years ago. There is still a cowboy match, but they sometimes fail to have the "quorum" of five show up. Sad.
earlmck
Advanced Levergunner

Post by earlmck »

Catshooter wrote: Mon May 02, 2022 8:17 pm Nice going man. It's fun to just shoot, but it's also fun to place, ain't it. I miss our Lever Action Silly wet. I still have my match rifle but haven't shot it since the range closed.
Yes, this is a fantastic facility. 1100 members so you'd think it would be a busy place, but when I go out during the week I sometimes have the entire range (over 20 separate shooting areas) to myself and always have the buffalo shooting area to myself. Clanging targets from 50 to 1200 yards, and a covered shooting area with benches if you want them. And even for our matches we seldom have as many as 10 shooters and for our April shoot we just had 6 of us: a perfect sized shooting group.
The greatest patriot...
Patrick Henry
Catshooter
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Catshooter »

Bill in Oregon wrote: Tue May 03, 2022 1:35 pm Catshooter, what would it take for you and fellow local shooters to resurrect the lever Sillywet match at your range?
Here Bill it was a combination of death blows. The man that set the range up did it on a little piece of his own land, he loved to shoot. When passed, his wife said you boys just keep right on like you are, my husband loved to come out here. The when she passed, oh well. Now the kids are involved. So they wanted some money. "Just to cover the taxes." But they asked for $500 which is about fifty times what the taxes would be on two or three acres here.

Then we had two wet years, so wet that you couldn't get down the six miles of gravel road. Along about August of '18 the county finally got the washout fixed. Rained the next day, washed it out again.

Then Covid.

In the mean time, my shooting partner got old (he's 88 now) to the point where he couldn't hold up his rifle. His last score was a six. So we stay here now and shoot every Sunday from a bench as he can do that.

Life happens sometimes.