"CZ Hammer Classic" Side-by-side Scattergun

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Old No7
Advanced Levergunner

"CZ Hammer Classic" Side-by-side Scattergun

Post by Old No7 »

It's been quite a long time since I've posted any images of "slippers" -- just like Ysabel Kid or JReed used to do with their guns, so here goes...

That's a CZ Hammer Classic" side-by-side scattergun in 12 gauge, with exposed hammers and 30 inch tubes. It came with a steel buttplate, so for now it has a slip-on recoil pad. The comb was a little lower than I'd like as well, so I added that custom leather cheek pad (from ebay -- top quality, it's my 4th one) and that helps improve the fit for me. CZ's gunsmith lowered the trigger pulls in under 2 weeks for no charge, under warranty, and they're nice now (they were pretty heavy before).

This is my 2nd Hammer Classic, but the only one I have -- as I got the first one back in fall of 2018 and had the thought to convert it to a straight English grip, which was well done (and done quickly) by the stockmaker I'd selected. But it turns out that I probably shot it a little bit better on clay targets with the original grip -- which had been cut off! Oops! But anyway, I lucked into meeting a guy a year or so later who (a) Could not find one to buy, and (b) Really wanted a straight English grip! So a deal was struck, where I only lost maybe $75 or so, and both parties walked away very happy.

I guess I got the hankering to have another exposed hammer shotgun, and I did it again -- but this time, I will leave the pistol grip "as is".

Cheers!

Old No7

( Click image to enlarge )
CZ Hammer Classic 06.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"Freedom and the Second Amendment... One cannot exist without the other." © 2000 DTH
piller
Posting leader...

Re: "CZ Hammer Classic" Side-by-side Scattergun

Post by piller »

Looks good. Hope it hits where you are looking.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
Drawdown
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Drawdown »

Beautiful gun, I seriously considered one back around 2015, when I knew my eyes where slipping. I mostly squirrel hunted with a iron sight 22, and the DB with the right chokes & Shot, make the ultimate squirrel & turkey gun! I already had 3 CZ 22's, and I know that's a quality gun. Loved their little 28ga bird gun!
"Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life"

"Better drawdown Alvin!"
"If you gotta shoot, shoot don't talk"
Conservative since day one and until the last!
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Scott Tschirhart »

Now that's a neat idea. I like external hammer guns.
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

I have one of the CZ Bobwhite SxSs, a 410 with 28" bbls with i/c & mod. No hammers but double triggers. When it got here I practically had to stand on the triggers to get the hammers to fall. Both were over 11 lbs. When I took the trigger plate off the gun I saw right away what the problem was, burrs left when the slots were cut into the plate. A few file strokes, little stone work and I cut the pull weight by half. Being a field gun they are a bit heavy but SAFE with January cold fingers when pheasant hunting.
The very first time I carried it afield, the first bird Claro flushed was a blue rooster, right barrel found its mark and at that moment I decided that bird was going on the wall.
Seems like every time I carry it the birds just fall from the sky!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

I love hammer guns I've had seven in 12 & 16 gauge but my last one required eleven men and a big dog to cock the hammers back so reluctantly let it go as I had heard that lightening the springs results in weak hits on the primers with that model. So always on the lookout for a hammer gun I have been eyeing up the CZ, I'm not a fan of Turkish guns but the CZ hammer gun looks pretty strong and traditional. I'm sure you will give it a good work out in the field Darryl. .. :mrgreen:
This time though I'm looking for a 20 gauge short barrels open chokes and pistol grip stock hard to find over here. :(
If more men loved and cherished their wives as much as I love bacon the world would be a much better place.
CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

I was just recently looking at those too! Nice find!!! -Tutt
"It ain't dead! As long as there's ONE COWBOY taking care of ONE COW, it ain't dead!!!" (the Cowboy Way)
-Monte Walsh (Selleck version)

"These battered wings still kick up dust." -Peter Gabriel
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Forget about the double, tell us about those slippers. They look comfortable! ;)
kaschi
Levergunner 3.0

Post by kaschi »

There used to be one made in Poland by Pioneer Arms that was a good quality, heavy duty piece. Not sure what happened to that one but Pioneer Arms is apparently still in business. They make among other things AK47s but supposedly those are not good quality.
Trailboss
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Trailboss »

I have a sxs 12 hammerless with double triggers, coach gun. Auto safety. Does the hammer double have a separate safety or do the uncocked hammers act as such? I wonder about using it as a grouse gun. Seems like it would take too long to cock the hammer when the grouse is flushed and heading into the bush. I can slip the safety off as I'm lifting my hammerless so it's quick. Educate me on hammer doubles.
Old No7
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Old No7 »

Trailboss wrote: Mon May 02, 2022 12:46 am Does the hammer double have a separate safety or do the uncocked hammers act as such? I wonder about using it as a grouse gun. Seems like it would take too long to cock the hammer when the grouse is flushed and heading into the bush. I can slip the safety off as I'm lifting my hammerless so it's quick. Educate me on hammer doubles.
The "CZ Hammer Classic" double has a separate safety; so one could carry it cocked with the safety on. That was a feature I wanted as well for hunting with it. For an extra safety margin while crossing over a stream or wall, it can be broken open while cocked and *on safe*, and then closed once you're back on solid footing.

Old No7
"Freedom and the Second Amendment... One cannot exist without the other." © 2000 DTH
Trailboss
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Trailboss »

Old No7 wrote: Mon May 02, 2022 7:58 am
Trailboss wrote: Mon May 02, 2022 12:46 am Does the hammer double have a separate safety or do the uncocked hammers act as such? I wonder about using it as a grouse gun. Seems like it would take too long to cock the hammer when the grouse is flushed and heading into the bush. I can slip the safety off as I'm lifting my hammerless so it's quick. Educate me on hammer doubles.
The "CZ Hammer Classic" double has a separate safety; so one could carry it cocked with the safety on. That was a feature I wanted as well for hunting with it. For an extra safety margin while crossing over a stream or wall, it can be broken open while cocked and *on safe*, and then closed once you're back on solid footing.

Old No7
Thanks Old No7, it would be just as fast in action as a hammerless. Nice. I like the old timey look. Now to start looking.