H and R officers model auto eject?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Snooterpup
Levergunner

H and R officers model auto eject?

Post by Snooterpup »

Hello everyone,
I’m new to the forum.
I have recently acquired a pristine H&R officer’s Model trapdoor. I am familiar with the dreaded auto eject that some of these have. I have heard that replacing the latch and cam with Pedersoli’s latch with the square shaft and the cam with a square hole. I understand the cam is held in place with a set screw like the H&R design but the updated design secures the cam on the square shaft that cannot rotate. I’ve also heard an acceptable fix is to grind a small dimple in the H&R latch shaft and secure it with one set screw and add an additional set screw on top of the first one.
Many thanks for any information.
Gary
Old No7
Advanced Levergunner

Re: H and R officers model auto eject?

Post by Old No7 »

Snooterpup wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 9:53 pm I have recently acquired a pristine H&R officer’s Model trapdoor. I am familiar with the dreaded auto eject that some of these have. I have heard that replacing the latch and cam with Pedersoli’s latch with the square shaft and the cam with a square hole. I understand the cam is held in place with a set screw like the H&R design but the updated design secures the cam on the square shaft that cannot rotate. I’ve also heard an acceptable fix is to grind a small dimple in the H&R latch shaft and secure it with one set screw and add an additional set screw on top of the first one.
I had one once -- shouldn't have sold it, but oh well...

I've read about both those fixes on this and other forums. On the latter fix, which is likely the easiest of the 2 to get done; I'd suggest a "flat" rather than a dimple -- as it would give the set screw more "bite". I actually wanted to do that on mine, but for the life of me (and without resorting to heat or more drastic measures), I could not get the original set screw to budge any. I shot it for years like that (BP only) and never had any issues. Good luck!

Old No7
"Freedom and the Second Amendment... One cannot exist without the other." © 2000 DTH
Malamute
Member Emeritus

Post by Malamute »

Auto-eject? Can you describe it?

This is different than a normally functioning ejector?
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

Isnt it amazing how many people post without reading the thread?
Ray Newman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ray Newman »

This malady is known to exist in the H&R Trapdoor M1873 Officers Model. My Officer's Model locks up tight and never ficked open the trapdoor upon firing. But to err on the side of caution, I took it to the local gunsmith who fixed it. If I recall correctly, John Taylor created a "flat" on the latch/cam shaft, re-installed the original set screw with lock tight, then added another set screw with with lock tight.

From what I recall reading on other shooting sites, this phenomenon is not solely related to the M1873 Officer's Model. Seems as if one or two instances of it occurring with the infantry rifle were also mentioned.
The most important aspect of this signature line is that you don't realize it doesn't say anything significant until you are just about done reading it & then it is too late to stop reading it....
Grand Poo Bah WA F.E.S.

In real life may you be the bad butt that you claim to be on social media.