SxS knowledgeable GK and others

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

SxS knowledgeable GK and others

Post by 3leggedturtle »

What kind of, material and build quality would a Rossi 20 gauge double from the 70's have? Is it a good daily shooter or just for casual use. Todd/3leg
30/30 Winchester: Not accurate enough fer varmints, barely adequate for small deer; BUT In a 10" to 14" barrelled pistol; is good for moose/elk to 200 yards; ground squirrels to 300 metres

250 Savage... its what the 223 wishes it could be...!
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Re: SxS knowledgeable GK and others

Post by gamekeeper »

I have no experience of the Rossi double barrel shotguns but always liked how they looked. They were inexpensive back in the 70s so I wouldn't expect à quality gun but they were made for tough use so should be OK at least for light use but not thousands of rounds clay busting.
Loose hammers if it is the hammer gun and not the hammerless Squire model are something I look for they can be an indicator of soft steel in the lock work. As you know the top lever should be over to the right of center and if you hold the gun up to a strong light there should be no light between the barrels and the standing breech. Any pitting or dents in the barrels need to be carefully looked at as with loose ribs.
I don't know if Rossi share any design features with the Stoeger coach gun but Perry Owens brought one back to England and it would not pass UK proof, the proof house said it was something to do with the design, the proof house are not always correct however.
If you pass on the Rossi send it over here if it's got hammers I'll give it a home... :D I had a 28g single barrel Rossi apart from it looking odd it was a well made gun.
42108_1.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
If more men loved and cherished their wives as much as I love bacon the world would be a much better place.
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

The Rossi Squire hammerless shotguns are extremely rare in the UK so I know little about them other than they were inexpensive when new.
95-1.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
If more men loved and cherished their wives as much as I love bacon the world would be a much better place.
3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 3leggedturtle »

Dat bee da 1! But the one at show had gorgeous wood and nicely cut checkering. I just want a beater, and now I havent seen one since February 2021 It's not kill, it's the thrill of the chase. Well according to Deep Purple :mrgreen:
30/30 Winchester: Not accurate enough fer varmints, barely adequate for small deer; BUT In a 10" to 14" barrelled pistol; is good for moose/elk to 200 yards; ground squirrels to 300 metres

250 Savage... its what the 223 wishes it could be...!
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

I would also take the barrels off and 'hang' them off my fingertip and give them a tap. Ringing is good, a dull thud means loose ribs.

Had a guy in school that picked up a Winchester 37 single barrel 12. He proceeded to run the chamber out / removing the forcing cone.dropped in a 3" Duck & Dinosaur shell and test fired it, then a 3&¹/² load , the plastic forend iron exploded! A replacement installed and none the worse for wear. That gun had everything you could do to it done, ported the barrel, re-blued, wood & recoil pad. Wasnt a bad little scatter gun.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

3.5" shell in a single barrel 12 gauge...... :shock: not something I would do too often..…. :lol:
AmBraCol
Webservant

Post by AmBraCol »

3leggedturtle wrote: Thu Apr 21, 2022 10:03 am What kind of, material and build quality would a Rossi 20 gauge double from the 70's have? Is it a good daily shooter or just for casual use. Todd/3leg
I picked one up a few years ago for relatively cheap - had peened over firing pins. Ordered new ones from Jack First and installed them, went through and tightened up/loctited a few screws and it's been working great since. BUT it's only an occasional use as I only get to use it while up north. Still, it was a good way to get into an exposed hammer side by side. Oh, mine's a 12 bore. A 20 would be sweet!
Paul - in Pereira

"He is the best friend of American liberty who is most sincere and active in promoting true and undefiled religion." -- John Witherspoon

http://www.paulmoreland.com
http://www.pistolpackingpreachers.us
http://www.precisionandina.com
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

I bought one new for my wife in the mid '80s, cut the bbls down to 20" and shortened the LOP to 11-½" to match her 5'2" stature... She shot in cowboy action from ~1987 to 1995 at least twice monthly. After she passed, I sold it to a feller for his grandkid's use. It never visited a gun doctor :P
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Sort of similar. I bought a used 20 gauge SxS made in Boito Brazil back in 1981. Well, my 18 year old brother signed for it as I was 16. After a few thousand shells through it, it still doesn't close if a sheet of typing paper is placed in the action. Tight as a Swiss banker's wallet.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

piller wrote: Fri Apr 22, 2022 8:13 pm Sort of similar. I bought a used 20 gauge SxS made in Boito Brazil back in 1981. Well, my 18 year old brother signed for it as I was 16. After a few thousand shells through it, it still doesn't close if a sheet of typing paper is placed in the action. Tight as a Swiss banker's wallet.
That's good to know... 8)
AmBraCol
Webservant

Post by AmBraCol »

piller wrote: Fri Apr 22, 2022 8:13 pm Sort of similar. I bought a used 20 gauge SxS made in Boito Brazil back in 1981. Well, my 18 year old brother signed for it as I was 16. After a few thousand shells through it, it still doesn't close if a sheet of typing paper is placed in the action. Tight as a Swiss banker's wallet.
I learned to load full length brass shells in a Boito 32 gauge single shot. Years later I was planning to buy an overunder by the same company, but one of our sons had a serious medical issue crop up and there went the funds for that. A while back I picked up a Boito 410 as a reminder of that old 32. They aren't fancy, but in my experience they are tough and decent work horses.
Paul - in Pereira

"He is the best friend of American liberty who is most sincere and active in promoting true and undefiled religion." -- John Witherspoon

http://www.paulmoreland.com
http://www.pistolpackingpreachers.us
http://www.precisionandina.com
CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

I like these! $1100 MSRP but could probably find for less if you waited and looked around. -Tutt

https://cz-usa.com/product/cz-hammer-classic/

The Rossi version also has a cameo in this video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dvLluu8HtEc&t=143s
"It ain't dead! As long as there's ONE COWBOY taking care of ONE COW, it ain't dead!!!" (the Cowboy Way)
-Monte Walsh (Selleck version)

"These battered wings still kick up dust." -Peter Gabriel
buckeyeshooter
Senior Levergunner

Post by buckeyeshooter »

3leggedturtle wrote: Thu Apr 21, 2022 10:03 am What kind of, material and build quality would a Rossi 20 gauge double from the 70's have? Is it a good daily shooter or just for casual use. Todd/3leg

Having seen a handful used HARD!! in cowboy action shooting, I would say you could use it as an everyday shooter. I would like a hammered one as they are not easy to find. You might have to get some work done after 10,000 rounds but cowboy action gunsmiths can fix it up no problem. For field use, I don't think you would ever wear it out.