Marlin vs Winchester

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
High Desert Hunter
Levergunner 1.0

Marlin vs Winchester

Post by High Desert Hunter »

Just going to throw an opinion out there. In the world where I am happily carrying a lever action rifle in the middle of nowhere, I will say that in the hand, the Winchester 94 beats the Marlin, when I say Marlin, I am referring to the 336/1895/444 size action, the 1894 carries as nice as my Winchester. I think it has to do with the Winchester just being more trim, especially the forend. I find that I shoot either one well, and would say my Marlin has a slight edge in accuracy. Now when it comes time to clean, I will take the Marlin every single time and twice on Sunday. Even more importantly, is the fact that I am blessed enough to have the rifles to form this opinion. I know that I really should be comparing the 1895 to the model 1886, but I haven't owned one in a good long while.

Dave
Bronco
Levergunner 3.0

Re: Marlin vs Winchester

Post by Bronco »

The larger forend on the Marlin feels better for my large mitts ! Cleaning is easier, by a lot. Accuracy is about equal for me . However, I cannot figure why Winchester is preferable in my brain. I have a 1886 Win. saddle ring 45-70 and a Marlin 1894 44 mag. Cannot pick one I like better and would feel half empty with only one.
Just some thoughts from an addled brain.

John
Gettin old ain't for sissies!
There just has to be dogs in heaven !
Malamute
Member Emeritus

Post by Malamute »

Ive had a number of both types and much prefer the Winchester action overall. Theyve been more functionally reliable, easier to use for the things I do, like single load small game loads while the magazine is kept loaded with full power loads, and clear the chamber and leave it empty. The angle eject 94s are simple to scope with standard type scope placement using the Leupold bases and low rings. It baffles me that many use a forward mounted optic on marlins and say its better than a similarly mounted location on a Winchester type action.

Cleaning is a non-issue to me, I use a brass muzzle guide and most often a steel M-16 takedown cleaning rod. I dont recall people complaining about other guns that arent simple to clean from the back end like M1 Garands, Savage 99s, M1 carbines, mini-14, M1A, sks, ak, and how many others am I forgetting? Cleaning from the rear end just isnt adequate reason for me to give up any advantages the Winchesters have. This included cleaning when shooting black powder loads in an original 1886, its just not hard to do well and theres zero chance to lose parts you dont take off, something to consider if in camp.
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

Isnt it amazing how many people post without reading the thread?
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Either one, have both, like both.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

I have one Winchester. Both brands are good. I like the ease of taking a Marlin apart and putting it back together. The Winchester is smoother and feels better in the hand. Accuracy is too similar for me to call the difference. I like the ease of scoping a Marlin. I can only tell a big difference when it comes to the 86 and potential power level. Marlin has nothing that can truly keep up with the 86 and . 45-90 power level over a long term.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
High Desert Hunter
Levergunner 1.0

My Winchester's action is slick, but then it was my Granddad's rifle for a good many years. The action on my 1895 is slick, and the trigger is far superior to my Winchester. As far as power goes, I personally don't need any more than a 400 to 500 grain bullet at 1400 or so FPS these days. I appreciate the replies, one of the great things about us, we all like lever actions. I really love the Marlin 1894 I have, would like to add a Marlin 1893 or old 1894, would also love a Winchester 53 in 25-20.

Dave
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

To me the most frustrating part of any lever action rifle in terms of keeping it clean and unharmed from the ravages of hard use and foul weather, is the horrible way the forends are attached. Pretty soon if you don't remove them and dry under them you get rust all over the outside of the magazine tube, which granted isn't a big deal but it's annoying and seems unnecessary. I've yet to see any version of Marlin or Winchester that allows the easy removal and reattachment of the forend.

I'm going to try one of the Ranger Point Precision aluminum skeletonized forends for just that reason.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Sarge
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Sarge »

I always have been and remain a Winchester man, hands down.

But I'm having a real tough time trying to think of a Winchester you could trade for my old 35 Marlin Texan in 35 Remington.
People were smarter before the Internet, or imbeciles were harder to notice.
.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by .45colt »

I have been blessed to having had many of both. buy All you can afford and have fun doing it . Life is short . If you don't overpay you will always get your money back , or more. I am currently under the spell of the Browning Auto 5 Shotgun. How Browning ever got it to work and into production way more than 100 years ago is just nuts. Enjoy the Ride.
And I might add that the Marlin/Glenfield 30-30 I have (1969) is a beat to death ugly thing. good for a truck gun. If I ask you to close your eyes and hand it over, work the action you would think it was from a custom shop. it's like Teflon on ice.
Drawdown
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Drawdown »

I was always a Marlin Man, 39a, 336. I had shot and handled buddies Mod 94 for years, loved them, the way they handle, everything! But the comments I'd heard all my life , "don't take a 94 apart no matter what", kept me from buying one, because I won't have a gun I can't hunt with in rain, whatever, can't clean!
But I found the gun I always wanted most a Mod 64, so I had to have it. Watched a video on disassembly, now no problem, it's not that bad! The action comes out in 3 major parts, plenty to clean everything, and the mag tube forend no problem.
Now I 2:1 prefer my Win, everything about it! And I too very much like the ability to unload a full power load from the chamber, easily insert a small game load, without emptying the mag! I also like the top load, I prefer single loading when target shooting! The weight-balance makes it great for off-hand shooting in any position! It's a true woods-quick to shoulder-on target rifle! Accuracy of my Win is slightly better.
"Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life"

"Better drawdown Alvin!"
"If you gotta shoot, shoot don't talk"
Conservative since day one and until the last!
BenT
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BenT »

My Marlin 93 carries just as nice as my Win 94. :D I have plenty of both Winchesters and Marlins. They all have their merits. My first was a WIn 94 when I was 13 so I prefer to carry them, because that is what I used for the first 10 years of deer hunting.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

"...And I might add that the Marlin/Glenfield 30-30 I have (1969) is a beat to death ugly thing. good for a truck gun. If I ask you to close your eyes and hand it over, work the action you would think it was from a custom shop. it's like Teflon on ice.
..."

:D the older I get, the more guns I have that are just like that. No longer ones that I get worried about scratching or denting, because they've already been way past that threshold, but actions as smooth as better from years of use.
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by .45colt »

:) :) :) :) .
High Desert Hunter
Levergunner 1.0

In Alaska, I carried the 1895GS with a sling that let me get it into action pretty quick.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

No contest... what's not to love... a gun that pukes half its guts out just to cycle!!! IMO, cleaning is highly overrated. Hmmm... my most rounds fired in the midst of hunt was 2. Well... okay... I take that back... It was 4! from 3 different guns, and resulted in 3 deer during that morning's hunt. Keeping a rifle clean is fairly simple... Weather notwithstanding. Whether it's a Marlin or Winchester, lever or bolt... they get cleaned when the hunting is done.

I'm more concerned in keeping my sights aligned from sighting-in to hunt. I'm not going to drag my rifles thru the mud... even euphemistically! :P
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
kaschi
Levergunner 3.0

Post by kaschi »

Winchester for me too ANYDAY. Have to admit to owning one Marlin 336T only because I had it rebarreled to 25-35 (with an 18" barrel) and slimmed the forearm down so it doesn't look like a club.
buckeyeshooter
Senior Levergunner

Post by buckeyeshooter »

Old Savage wrote: Wed Apr 20, 2022 12:51 pm Either one, have both, like both.
me too.
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

I have many of both. They are both good rifles, but I'm just a Winchester guy.
For me, the Winchester is faster, smoother, and easier to use. They carry better and just feel lighter to me. Most importantly, they feel more "natural", shoulder cleaner, and point better. I prefer straight grips, so Winchester gives me more choices for a straight grip (I don't care for Winchesters with pistol grips either).
As far as cleaning, I think too much is made of this. A 94 Winchester is not hard to disassemble. In reality, it doesn't need to be anyway. Pull the stock, flush it out with an aerosol cleaner, let it drip dry, then re-lube. It just doesn't need to be done that often.
"Oh bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round.
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

If I'm out hunting, and I have any issue with a firearm, I'd much rather be carrying the 336/1895 Marlin than a Winchester 1894. I could sit down in camp with a folding table and have the Marlin torn down to it's bare pieces in maybe 1-2 minutes, and diagnose any issues. Then back together in a couple minutes also. Not so with the 1894 Winchester.
As for how they feel carrying around hunting, I much prefer the pistol grip variation of the 336/1895 when shouldering them. And I like the feel of the larger forearm wood myself as I have large hands and it just fills them better.
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
Drawdown
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Drawdown »

The Marlins are so much easier to do an emergency clean, and they do happen. 2020, I did 2 canoe in and camp trips, one 3 night, one 2 night. Deer and squirrel hunting. Last morning,(thank goodness), I had been squirrel hunting with a scoped bolt action 22. Went up at my canoe, several hundred feet, hunted around a bench, crossing 2 finger ridges, and wound up back down at lakeshore at some hickory, I knew was there. Well I'm tired and decide to hug the shore back to the Canoe, I was wearing high top rubber boots. Well there's a laurel thicket that drops right into the water in places, runs way up into the woods, and if you've not been in a laurel thicket before, don't go! But I was skirt the shore doing fine, but a big long sloping boulder I had to cross, and it covered In green moss. Well was doing fine, but once you slip it's over, went into water like a slip n slide well up to my shoulders. The rifle naturally went under but I immediately raised it above my head. Got out figured the rifle was just wet? I couldn't believe how much grit got in it, I could barely force the bolt back. I went and packed up camp, paddled in called it day! Every little nook and cranny was crammed with grit, hard to believe, but after I got home, it took me long time to clean every part!
If that had been a lever action, it'd been locked up, glad it wasn't!
When I go such places I have a tool & cleaning kit just for my 94, just in case, even wood dowels to easily but the mag spring back in, can clean it entirely, becauseI know that day the mag tube would'vebeen full!
I don't take mine apart but only after a season when I know it's been in rain, otherwise I clean barrel from muzzle then.
But the 94 or 336 regardless would've been out of service. These mountains are so steep, I've slid long ways, your gun survives only if you protect it, but it'll probably get drug and stuck in the dirt. Anything can happen, and it has to me a number times!

"Better drawdown Alvin!"
Sarge
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Sarge »

You can unload a Winchester, open the lever, turn it upside down and hose it out with carb cleaner, WD40 or whatever you have along. If I was in the brush for a few days I'd take a breakdown cleaning kit.
Drawdown
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Drawdown »

I keep a can of the Gun Scrubber & Gun Medic also, they are good if needed!
But that bolt action after that, even had to clean grit out of the firing pin. When my feet hit bottom, dead leaves & settlement came up immediately. I didn't try it, but it may not of even fired.

"Better drawdown Alvin!"
JB
Senior Levergunner

Post by JB »

I always preferred the 336 over the 94, but I guess it's like a Ford vs Chevy thing. We can all list reasons why our choice is superior.
High Desert Hunter
Levergunner 1.0

For the record, I love them both! I am even thinking about thinning my sixgun herd to finance another one. I have a bolt gun I am thinking about liberating from the safe too, but it is one that I really like. I don't have large hands, God gave me sausage links for fingers, so I do wish the Marlin forend were thinner.
JOG
Levergunner 3.0

Post by JOG »

I'm a big fan of both! This week I'll say Winchester over Marlin.
Next week it may be the other way around.
Pre safety Marlin and pre 64 Winny's are the focus of my modest collection.
Johnny
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

You can clean almost any firearm if the method is just spraying the open action with gun cleaning aerosol. All those spray cleaners are very thin and easily clean out loose grime, while at the same time they migrate into the exposed wood where it soaks up all that cleaner. I personally think that's a poor way to clean a good firearm, and over the years it results in seeing the dark oil staining around the wrist of the stocks. Most solvents that clean out the action well aren't very good lubricants either, so you still have to try and reach various places inside without just washing down the entire action with lube too.
I started out collecting Winchester 1894's back many decades ago, but ended up with an 1893 Marlin in a trade for a saddlering carbine 1894 Win. I was selling. Once I disassembled the 1893 to clean and inspect it, I soon sold off my collection of 1894 Win. rifles, and used the funds for more Marlin lever action rifles. Back then the pre 1900 Marlins were cheaper than the Winchesters and I got a couple Marlins for every Winchester I sold. That all changed after Bill Brophy's book on Marlin history came out around 1982.
CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

I don't own a "dog in this fight", I've only read how the Model '94 action pretty much dismantles itself on cycling and its not that strong. So I will pass on it for stronger lever actions. None of the cartridges it has been chambered for interest me. -Tutt
"It ain't dead! As long as there's ONE COWBOY taking care of ONE COW, it ain't dead!!!" (the Cowboy Way)
-Monte Walsh (Selleck version)

"These battered wings still kick up dust." -Peter Gabriel
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Where do you get this stuff. You should be disciplined. That is going to cost you beer and pizza.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

44shooter
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 44shooter »

I like the 1886 and 1892 Winchester more than the 1894. The 1894 just seems a bit peculiar in cycling and the whole holding the lever tight to fire thing. They just seem overly complicated to me. I don’t care much for the 1895 Winchester or the huge 1876. The 73 and 66 are pretty cool although chunky for their power level. Very smooth and nice looking though.

Marlins are marvelously simple and the best choice if you are going to attach anything beyond a peep sight. I love my 1894. My 444 is cool but sorta big and heavy. The 336 is a lot more nimble

I recently inherited a Win 64. It’s very nimble for its length. It wears a receiver peep. I would like to hunt it.

I got the 444S cheap. I don’t really need it but respect the power and range over my 44 and 45. I will probably scope it. Maybe a peep and a scope.

My Rossi 92 is a full length stainless 45 Colt. It is very slick. Maybe had work done. I got it used cheap. It’s long and heavy to my taste but it’s a nice rifle

My first lever is my Marlin 1894 44 mag. It’s short, handy, nice looking, smooth enough, easy to clean from the back, easy to mount most anything I would want to although I put a Lyman tang on it and called it good. It will do almost anything I would need here to about 120 yards. I have bolt guns for anything outside of that
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

Old Savage wrote: Wed Apr 20, 2022 12:51 pm Either one, have both, like both.
+1
LETS GO SHOOT'N BOYS
Snooterpup
Levergunner

Post by Snooterpup »

I love those lever guns, both Winchesters and Marlins. Somehow I luckily got Golden 39A years and years ago and later a Marlin 94 26” barrel in 44mag and a 1895 Cowboy 26” 45-70. All are really smooth but the 94 is exceptionally smooth. I stripped the Marshield finish on the 94, and did a linseed oil finish on the stock and removed the dang lawyer safety. The 1895 CB is stock and like new. All my Marlins are “JM’s”.
Then I bought my second Winchester, an 1894 .32 Winchester Special, built in 1909, octagon 26” barrel and crescent butt plate. It came from Arizona, is in absolutely marvelous condition, the barrel is pristine and it is a joy to hold and fool around with. This gun can even be reloaded with black powder as advertised by Winchester in 1903.
I don’t think I could ever make a choice, they are all just too darn nice. Love them all.
JOG
Levergunner 3.0

Post by JOG »

I stopped by my local gun shop this morning to pick up a little J frame 37 no dash Airweight Chiefs Special model.
It's so light it seems like a toy! I wanted a small J frame to put in my pocket when I don't feel like lugging a bigger firearm.
Anyway, back to lever guns. On the shelf was an excellent condition 1954 Winchester model 71!!!!!!
It's the first one I've seen in 5 years or so. It has the pistol grip stock and angled lever.
The 24inch barrel was in great shape with sharp lands and groves!
Beautiful stock with very few handling marks!
If I had $2,350.00 to drop on an old Winchester this would be a good investment!
Johnny :D
CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

CowboyTutt wrote: Sun Apr 24, 2022 7:19 pm I don't own a "dog in this fight", I've only read how the Model '94 action pretty much dismantles itself on cycling and its not that strong. So I will pass on it for stronger lever actions. None of the cartridges it has been chambered for interest me. -Tutt
Old Savage wrote: Sun Apr 24, 2022 10:09 pm
Where do you get this stuff. You should be disciplined. That is going to cost you beer and pizza.
LOL, Ok Fred, just being honest here! It's a week action, cartridges are weak. NOOOO interest!!! A Marlin '94, a Win 92 or 86 or 95 far stronger. Lets not even mention
the BLR!

I will buy beer and pizza next time!

-A-
"It ain't dead! As long as there's ONE COWBOY taking care of ONE COW, it ain't dead!!!" (the Cowboy Way)

CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

"I don’t care much for the 1895 Winchester or the huge 1876."

Heresy! Just kidding....I love them both, don't own a copy, but have wished too. CRS's 1895 in 405 Win with its elongated throat is the stuff of legends!

-Tutt

Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Well Andrew, the discussion basically was around the Win 94 and Marlin 336 likely in 30-30 or in the Marlin 35 Rem. in hunting were those cartridges are appropriate. Many think no better tool exists in that realm.

I would wonder why you thing the Marlin 94 is stronger.

piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

.30-30 or . 35 Remington are both great calibers for a wide variety of tasks without being hard on the gun. If I need more power, I can easily go to . 308 or 30-06, or . 45-70 without any effort. Then there are the calibers such as . 375 H&H for African game.
I just do not need a Marlin or Winchester to be any stronger than they are for the . 30-30 to remain effective. For what is in my area, the . 30-30 is still pretty effective.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

Old Savage wrote: Thu Apr 28, 2022 5:39 am Well Andrew, the discussion basically was around the Win 94 and Marlin 336 likely in 30-30 or in the Marlin 35 Rem. in hunting were those cartridges are appropriate. Many think no better tool exists in that realm.

MicPherson used to chamber Marlin 94's in 454 Casull. Not sure what he did to them to make that possible, but probably an improved barrel thread count going into the receiver like his 510 Kodiak Express. It is well known that the Model '94 Winchester fell apart quite quickly when shooting 454 Casull rounds. -Tutt

Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

I knew that would be your reply but sorry, highly modified guns by technical geniuses don’t count.

Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

The Winchester 94 is too long an action to not "spring" with the pressures of the 454 Casull... Don't even know why one would even try. The Marlin 1894 & Winchester 1892 are two comparable actions, and the 1892 has been factory chambered in far more powerful rounds than the Marlin.

I believe it was William Iorg (sp?) and a few other that tested the .38-55+P in both the Winchester 94 & Marlin 336 actions and it was the Marlin that gave up the ghost 1st... (Became the .375 Winchester). Not that the Winchester lived all that much longer...

When it begins to hurt my shoulder to shoot... I quit. The 45 Colt kills just as efficiently as anything. Even in my lightwieght 1873s... it's a pleasure... except to coyotes!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Boartooth
Levergunner

Post by Boartooth »

I own only 2 lever guns And they are both Winchester model 94’s one is a 45 colt that just shoots amazingly! The other is the classic 30-30 that I recently used to kill a 250lb boar that was running at about 30 yards that one is the last gun that would ever leave my possession! Shot friends Marlin, nice rifle but just didn’t fit like my Winchester!
Sarge
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Sarge »

Boartooth wrote: Fri Apr 29, 2022 8:12 pm I own only 2 lever guns And they are both Winchester model 94’s one is a 45 colt that just shoots amazingly! The other is the classic 30-30 that I recently used to kill a 250lb boar that was running at about 30 yards that one is the last gun that would ever leave my possession! Shot friends Marlin, nice rifle but just didn’t fit like my Winchester!
I love my old 35 Texan but you are exactly right. Winchesters come to my shoulder and their sights fall under my eye much more naturally.
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

CowboyTutt wrote: Thu Apr 28, 2022 9:51 pm
Old Savage wrote: Thu Apr 28, 2022 5:39 am Well Andrew, the discussion basically was around the Win 94 and Marlin 336 likely in 30-30 or in the Marlin 35 Rem. in hunting were those cartridges are appropriate. Many think no better tool exists in that realm.

MicPherson used to chamber Marlin 94's in 454 Casull. Not sure what he did to them to make that possible, but probably an improved barrel thread count going into the receiver like his 510 Kodiak Express. It is well known that the Model '94 Winchester fell apart quite quickly when shooting 454 Casull rounds. -Tutt
I don't believe anyone could improve the thread design on Marlin lever guns any better than it is. It's one reason they can handle higher pressures because they have square threads, which always handle more pressure than typical "V" threads. Not sure if MicPherson uses a different locking bolt, or modifies the breech bolt; but I bet he doesn't change the threads.
CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

I'm guessing it was something similar to this. Page 238 on "McPherson on Leverguns" book.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

The "weak" 94....
I found this kind of interesting. Now granted, this was an early 38-55, and probably wasn't smokeless proofed. I don't think they ever said.
Someone "thought" they were loading with black powder, but clearly did something else. It was over pressure enough to completely blow the chamber of an octagon barrel. In doing that, it split and sheared the front of the receiver.
What it did NOT do was defeat the bolt or the locking block or recesses.
https://youtu.be/sCgS7Evf8RE
Many of these "strength" arguments are academic to me. If it is string enough to take factory proof loads, it's strong enough. What is more important to me is how it feels to me, how it carries, and how well I shoot it.
"Oh bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round.
JOG
Levergunner 3.0

Post by JOG »

Accuracy, weight distribution and overall comfort in bringing it up to your shoulder put Winchester ahead of Marlin.
I guess the streamline design of the Winchester beats the older chubby perch belly handguard of the Marlin.
If I'm shooting from a bench, I'll take the Marlin with more weight and lighter kick.
Johnny
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Sarge wrote: Sat Apr 30, 2022 9:08 am I love my old 35 Texan but you are exactly right. Winchesters come to my shoulder and their sights fall under my eye much more naturally.
Well that's EXACTLY how I advise people to choose between 'finalists' for handguns they want to use for protection - if it 'fits' naturally, it is going to be way easier to shoot better with. Same for rifles I'm sure, particularly ones typically used off-hand and often for 'snap' shooting, like leverguns.

CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

Accuracy, weight distribution and overall comfort in bringing it up to your shoulder put Winchester ahead of Marlin.
I would have to add that my BLR Lightweight '81 in 358 Winchester with its 20" barrel and aluminum receiver with its 6 front locking lugs bolt that locks into a steel barrel extension is the lightest and easiest handling of my rifles. Beats both the Win and Marlin by far in handling, and Old Savage has handled and shot this rifle. I do not own a Marlin 1895 or 336 however, but they are much heavier. My custom McPherson Rossie 1892 454 Puma would be second choice for handling. -Tutt

Sarge
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Sarge »

AJMD429 wrote: Mon May 02, 2022 4:14 pm
Sarge wrote: Sat Apr 30, 2022 9:08 am I love my old 35 Texan but you are exactly right. Winchesters come to my shoulder and their sights fall under my eye much more naturally.
Well that's EXACTLY how I advise people to choose between 'finalists' for handguns they want to use for protection - if it 'fits' naturally, it is going to be way easier to shoot better with. Same for rifles I'm sure, particularly ones typically used off-hand and often for 'snap' shooting, like leverguns.
The straight grip Marlins are close enough for me to call it a wash. I make up for by shooting the Texan more. Heck I hardly ever shoot another centerfire these days. It's a burden I am willing to bear ;)
Boartooth
Levergunner

Post by Boartooth »

I completely agree about the personal “fit” of a firearm. In the army it was force fit and watching people at the range and deployments you could tell who was comfortable with the weapon and who @like myself” felt that I would have been just as happy with my Winchester as it just feels more natural to look through the ghost ring on my lever than the sights of my M-4 and my vaquero “fits” better than my Beretta ever did!
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Scott Tschirhart »

Boartooth wrote: Tue May 03, 2022 9:09 am I completely agree about the personal “fit” of a firearm. In the army it was force fit and watching people at the range and deployments you could tell who was comfortable with the weapon and who @like myself” felt that I would have been just as happy with my Winchester as it just feels more natural to look through the ghost ring on my lever than the sights of my M-4 and my vaquero “fits” better than my Beretta ever did!
I think we make too much of "fit" at times. Some guns are more comfortable, no doubt.