Elmer Wisdom

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
WCG
Levergunner

Elmer Wisdom

Post by WCG »

👍
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Mark in MO
Levergunner

Re: Elmer Wisdom

Post by Mark in MO »

True but so much easier to say than do, at least for me. I recently bought and began reading Sixguns, by Elmer Keith. While some if it might be considered dated by todays standards there is still a wealth of good and interesting information there.
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

That's "Guns 101" except maybe shotguns.....when I teach people how to shoot I tell them to pretend the trigger is like the shutter button on a camera.....yank it and you will get a bad shot/blurry picture. Pulling the trigger should be "almost" a surprise going off and it's all a lifetime learn.....not many people get it 100% of the time.

I first read "SIXGUNS" in 1973 and reread it probably 20 times with some chapters getting read 50 times.....I'm currently rereading "Hell, I was There!" for the 10th time.

"SIXGUNS" is the most influential book I've ever read and it's costs me probably the price of a small house.

I even have a gun Elmer shot back in 1928...a Colt Single Action Army 45 Long Colt "Slip Gun."----006
Model A Uzi’s
.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by .45colt »

All I can say at this point is Welcome to Leverguns.! Most of us old Geezers have been a disciple of Keith for years. I bought My copy of Sixguns in 1972. just hang around the fire and enjoy the company. There is much to be learned.
.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by .45colt »

Holy stuff ......!! I beat Six by a year............................................................. :lol: :lol: :lol: .
And if You think Elmer was single minded read " Shotguns By Keith" and then you will be beating Your head on the wall. He was a Genius .
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

.45colt wrote: Tue Apr 12, 2022 9:47 pm Holy stuff ......!! I beat Six by a year............................................................. :lol: :lol: :lol: .

Typo 45 Colt.....Should have been 1956.....I'm the author.....Elmer Keith is my real name......------Joe Biden
Model A Uzi’s
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

:lol:
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

Wow, Elmer is dated. And yet everything in his books is as applicable today as ever. Just seems new kids always want to reinvent the wheel to gain their 15 minutes.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

I know a lot of folks that liked him . But I’m in the O’Conner school myself .
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !
WCG
Levergunner

Post by WCG »

.45colt wrote: Tue Apr 12, 2022 9:45 pm All I can say at this point is Welcome to Leverguns.! Most of us old Geezers have been a disciple of Keith for years. I bought My copy of Sixguns in 1972. just hang around the fire and enjoy the company. There is much to be learned.
O I've been around for awhile...
I was away long enough to forget my login information 🙄
Easiest fix was a new account.
The Holy grail post count never meant much to me like they do some people 🙂
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Scott Tschirhart »

WCG wrote: Wed Apr 13, 2022 4:56 am
.45colt wrote: Tue Apr 12, 2022 9:45 pm All I can say at this point is Welcome to Leverguns.! Most of us old Geezers have been a disciple of Keith for years. I bought My copy of Sixguns in 1972. just hang around the fire and enjoy the company. There is much to be learned.
O I've been around for awhile...
I was away long enough to forget my login information 🙄
Easiest fix was a new account.
The Holy grail post count never meant much to me like they do some people 🙂
Then welcome back.
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

For long range handgunning sight picture is a bit misleading. Since your sights wont allow you to aim and hit much after more than about 50 yds. usually. You end up picking a spot to hold over, and watching for the bullet strike to adjust your shots. Staying on whatever spot you picked that works is indeed important, but it's never the target once you've gone out very far. I've used limbs or sagebrush 40 ft. above the target to lob in shots at 500 yds. and get hits. And if there's much cross wind I might be 10 ft. left or right also to make hits.
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

I used to make a few bucks hitting a 100 yd gong with a 1911. Bet was simple. I pay you a dollar for every miss you pay 2 for every hit. Initially I had lots of takers. But after a bit the regulars learned not to try me. But like the man said “there’s a sucker born every minute”.

I had found that holding on a spot on the berm above resulted in ringing the gong. Never did say how I did it. But the range has been closed for years and most of the old crowd is dead.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad