I'm Kickin' My Tobacco Habit to the Curb!

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Griff
Posting leader...

I'm Kickin' My Tobacco Habit to the Curb!

Post by Griff »

This ain't my first time quittin! But the 50+ year habit in any form is finally getting totally cut! Hopefully it'll be my last. Startin' my 3rd day going cold turkey. Quit cigarettes back in 1983... jus threw half a pack in the trash and ain't ever touched 'em again... but, I still chewed... quit that a few years ago, but kept up the cigars... Maybe even smoked a few extras a week. I finally decided that the couple a hundred a week should be used for better things... :twisted:
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Re: I'm Kickin' My Tobacco Habit to the Curb!

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Griff, you have all my support and all my prayers to push on through this. It has been about 32 years for me, and I don't dare touch the stuff. Now if I could just say no to beer ... :lol: :cry:
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Your quitting chew? My dad used to warn me all the time about chewing.......or how I like to put it, "Skoal brother, just a pinch between your cheek and gum!" Takes me near a week to go through a tin.

Yea.....my dad busted on me every chance he could ....reminding me of his Uncle Charlie who used to use the strong stuff, Copenhagen..........my dad, "you better give that stuff up as Uncle Charlie died from it!" ...me...yea, I know..by the way, how old was Uncle Charlie?"....my dad,..."he was only 88!"

Griff....we all need a vice of some sort.....go ahead, you have my permission to chew. The way this world is don't short yourself.
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Me and my buddies started chewing when we were real young. Like 7th grade. We were hooligans. :D
Back then, nobody thought it would hurt you like smoking. Then we started to hear different. Saw a few horror stories.
When I quit it was 99 cents a can or for a pack of loose leaf. It never bothered me when I quit, as I wasn't a heavy user. Right to this day, it bothers me a little during hunting season.
One of our gang that started back then is still going. Never stopped. I worry about him.

I only ever smoked cigars when fishing. Keep the bugs off. I can't remember the last time I had a cigar. Probably 25 years or so.

Best of luck Griff. Save that money for guns n' ammo.
"Oh bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round.
.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by .45colt »

Go for it Griff, stick that money in a jar and watch it pile up. I quit chewing 30 years ago and am glad I did. I've been going to the dermatologist for two months , I feel like a turkey on a carving board. every time I think how much worse my health may have been using tobacco. Good Luck.
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

Do it, I did it and don't regret it one bit.
It's bad for you, seriously bad for you period!
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

I quit when I was thirty, bought two motorcycles with the money I saved, I just went cold turkey but always carried tobacco and a lighter never got tempted but knew I could have a smoke if I wanted.
OW, I missed the cigars for keeping the bugs at bay too....
If more men loved and cherished their wives as much as I love bacon the world would be a much better place.
Coalsmoke
Levergunner

Post by Coalsmoke »

Good job!

I gave up Copenhagen years ago, but still enjoy the occasional cigar. You must have been hitting them pretty hard to spend a couple of hundred a week.

Stay strong, tobacco is sneaky.
4t5
Senior Levergunner

Post by 4t5 »

👍 Do it !
Rumble.com/ hickock45
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Wish you the best on this Griff. I quit 7 times. The last was in 1980.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Good luck with it. I never did use tobacco, but anyone can see that it is hard to quit. Stay strong.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Coalsmoke wrote: Sun Apr 10, 2022 5:07 amou must have been hitting them pretty hard to spend a couple of hundred a week.
Only the good ones...
Old Savage wrote: Sun Apr 10, 2022 7:29 amWish you the best on this Griff. I quit 7 times. The last was in 1980.
That's grand if you only started 7 times... :P It's that 8th time that'll do ya in! That's the boat I find myself in... The hard part is not replacing that habit with candy or snacks... Anyway, thanks y'all... I gotta head to the shop and reload some ammo... I'm way behind Doc's friend on tradin' goodies!!!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

AND... I'm over it!!
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

I quit cigarettes back in 1978. Didn't have any real issues stopping then, but I also chewed which probably made quitting smokes easier. Took me about a decade more to stop chewing also, and every fall when I went hunting I usually dipped chew again for a few more years. The chew was tougher to quit than the smoking was for me. But been over 30 years since I had any tobacco in my mouth, and don't miss it.
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
Oldncrusty
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Oldncrusty »

You CAN do it! I smoked, dipped, and chewed for 25 yrs or
or so. Not simultaneously lol. Quit smoking in June 2010 and switched to a tobacco free snuff for a few months to get off the nicotine, then threw that away. Never even missed cigarettes and snuff, but I tremble every time I see a pack of Red Man. 😋
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

People may or not know this but if your in a medical condition to where it's hard for you to take care of yourself and have no one who can be with you pretty consistently 24/7......then or if a family member, neighbor or someone calls the state, they will come to your house and snatch you up to go to a rat infested state nursing facility with big mama jama's as "nurses". Everything you knew or had, including pets will be sold off or given away to pay for the rest of your miserable existence.

Many times family members will wish it so they can cash in too....don't expect help from them...

It will all be under the guise of "for your safety". I had an aunt who went through this until she was 98 y.o......it cost her $500,000 in savings plus a $400,000 house. The baby boomer's are getting old and their kids don't want nothing to do with their care.

But of course, your kids, extended family members, lawyers, or someone will grab what they can before the state has a chance to do an audit.

And that is why I will never give up a little bit of pleasure, if done moderately......-----006

JOG
Levergunner 3.0

Post by JOG »

I smoked cigarettes for years in my youth. I quite cold turkey half a dozen times!
I finally put them down forever about 3 or 4 years ago. I only smoke 5 or less my last 5 years of smoking.
My only vise now is a few beers on the weekend. After a long week of breaking my aXX at work.
Never a hangover, just a glow to help my sleep! Just think how many people smoked years ago.
I rarely see anybody puffing away this day!
Although I recently saw Sixgun on a street corner in Philly smoking a blunt with the brothers in front of a checks cash store.
He had an incredibly large boom box on his shoulder cranking that classic hit, I like a woman with a big butt!
That cracker did some fine break dancing! Give it up for the Six man!
Word up home cheese!
Johnny
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

JOG wrote: Sun Apr 10, 2022 6:34 pmAlthough I recently saw Sixgun on a street corner in Philly smoking a blunt with the brothers in front of a checks cash store.
He had an incredibly large boom box on his shoulder cranking that classic hit, I like a woman with a big butt!
That cracker did some fine break dancing! Give it up for the Six man!
Word up home cheese!
Johnny
He could only afford to do that because he broke down and parted with some of those Rossi's he'd been hoarding!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

AND... I'm over it!!
Coalsmoke
Levergunner

Post by Coalsmoke »

Griff wrote: Sun Apr 10, 2022 9:23 am
Coalsmoke wrote: Sun Apr 10, 2022 5:07 amou must have been hitting them pretty hard to spend a couple of hundred a week.
Only the good ones... [quote="Old Savage" post_id=942488 time=1649593785 user_id=152

If you need my mailing address I'll be glad to reduce your temptation.
pshort
Levergunner 3.0

Post by pshort »

Howdy,
Good luck to you Griff....... I've been smoking for 60 yrs, quit several times, just can't get the hang of it......

Paul
"Pain plants the flag of reality in the
fortress of a rebel soul"
rossim92
Senior Levergunner

Post by rossim92 »

Sixgun wrote: Sun Apr 10, 2022 12:08 am Your quitting chew? My dad used to warn me all the time about chewing.......or how I like to put it, "Skoal brother, just a pinch between your cheek and gum!" Takes me near a week to go through a tin.

Yea.....my dad busted on me every chance he could ....reminding me of his Uncle Charlie who used to use the strong stuff, Copenhagen..........my dad, "you better give that stuff up as Uncle Charlie died from it!" ...me...yea, I know..by the way, how old was Uncle Charlie?"....my dad,..."he was only 88!"

Griff....we all need a vice of some sort.....go ahead, you have my permission to chew. The way this world is don't short yourself.
I wish you luck! My vice is caffeine. I'm out this morning, but will fix that on my way to work.
Rossi 92 .357 lever , and a cz pcr 9mm
Henry .22 lever, Remington speedmaster 552 .22 lr
Marlin Glenfield .22 boltaction
gforce 12ga semi
Taylor's Tactical 1911 A1 FS in .45acp
winchester 1873 44.40
Marlin 336W .30.30
beeman sportsman rs2 dual caliber pellet rifle
henry .22 magnum pumpaction/octagon barrel
stag 5.56 m4 with reddot
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Scott Tschirhart »

My dad started smoking when he was in the Army. I remember how hard it was to quit.

Never used tobacco other than I remember drinking mescal and smoking a Cuban cigar down in Guadalahara. Kinda made me dizzy as I recall, but that was 25 years ago.
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

WAY TO GO!
JUST THINK ABOUT ALL THE MONEY YOUR GONNA SAVE FOR SHOOTING! :wink:
LETS GO SHOOT'N BOYS
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

Around here in Pa., cigarettes are like $8.50 a pack! I quit near 30 years ago and a pack was somewhere around $1.25..

Skoal is around $5 and it lasts me a week.....small vice.....

Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

I quit over twenty years ago. I used The Gum. Pretty soon I was addicted to the darn gum :roll: I was a heavy smoker and some COPD has followed me into my 70s.....
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
4t5
Senior Levergunner

Post by 4t5 »

If you don't quit , the grim reaper will take some one from your family, the choice is yours. Not kidding.
Rumble.com/ hickock45
Rockrat
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Rockrat »

Glad to see you quitting. Mom was a heavy smoker and died when I was 18. Dad (Step) was a heavy cigar smoker and quit when he was in his late 60's, but developed throat cancer anyhow, about 5 years later.

I never did smoke (inhaled a lot of secondhand smoke though). Only non-smoker in the family. Doc said it was good I never did as he said I would have been dead decades ago if I did. Only one left nowadays
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

16 days and still counting. I don't feel as tho' I need the nicotine... but every once in a while I get the sense that I'm neglecting something... Might be unrelated, but... darn pants sure seem a sight tighter! I'm still only eating 2 meals a day, and haven't really increased my sugar intake... but something's not right!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

AND... I'm over it!!
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Nicotine can increase metabolism. Your metabolism might be seeing a temporary decrease.
D. Brian Casady
mickbr
Levergunner 3.0

Post by mickbr »

Good job, keep going Griff. Ive never smoked but I had to quit salt a while ago for health reasons. My elderly mother quit smoking a few years back just for financial reasons. we were wondering how she would do being she had smoked since she was sixteen. She went cold turkey, said to me later on she didnt understand all the fuss about quitting.
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Quitting is different for everyone.
D. Brian Casady
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

piller wrote: Sun Apr 24, 2022 8:33 amQuitting is different for everyone.
Exactly!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

AND... I'm over it!!
horsesoldier03
Advanced Levergunner

Post by horsesoldier03 »

My dad stopped smoking years ago and went to a DR for it, this was before the nicotine patches. The first thing they did was identify when he enjoyed having a cigarette the most; his was after a meal. They made made him start waiting 30 min at first before he could have a cigarette after meals and then each week would move it out another 15 min longer after meals or whenever he would get the urge. The other thing they did was make him switch the brand of cigarettes that he smoked. He could never smoke the same brand for more than a week at a time, and he could never smoke his preferred brand. He quit pretty quick and never really had the urge to go back. He said it killed any pleasure of having a cigarette and made it more of a frustration. Best of Luck!
“Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.”
jnyork
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jnyork »

Regarding the gain of weight after quitting, my doctor told me long ago that I could gain a hundred pounds before I would damage my body as much as smoking a pack a day.

Been quit for 34 years now, dont miss it a bit, cant stand being downwind of a smoker.